GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,869 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

A Brief History of the World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Astronomy Card & Naval Power Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Schachter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Greetings!

First, thanks for a wonderful, intriguing, and fast-playing game. My son and I are having a blast with the two-player version and have recently expanded so each of us controls three colors. This mitigates the more fun "big" empires not showing up, something my son dislikes, which is all too possible with only four colors engaged ("What, no Romans AGAIN?!?!?).

The Astronomy card notes "Place a fleet in one sea not listed on the Empire card." Could play of this card give an otherwise land-bound power sea capability it would normally not have?

For example, could the Huns play "Astronomy" and then, having fought to successfully reach the coast, place a Fleet in the Mediterranean and sea invade North Africa?

The same principle could be applied to the Naval Power card which reads "Place a fleet in any ocean not listed on the empire card". For example, could the USA play this card to place a fleet in the Atlantic and then be able to sea invade "across the pond"?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it does enable land based empires access to a Sea or Ocean as described on the card, both of your examples would work.

What would not work is to play Astronomy on an Ocean as it only applies to a Sea but you've already spotted that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Schachter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Paul,

Many thanks for your clarifications.

This granting of naval abilities via card, to an empire which would normally not be sea-faring, is another notable change in this game from its predecessors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.