GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Forbidden Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nit-picky (but possibly game-affecting) question about shuffling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For both the Treasure deck and the Flood draw pile, the rules say that you re-shuffle the decks as soon as you run out of cards. Specifically, for the Treasure deck, the rules read (emphasis mine):

Quote:
When the last card of the Treasure deck is drawn, immediately shuffle the Treasure discard pile and turn it over to form a new Treasure deck.

This is a bit different than a game like, say, Dominion or Thunderstone, where you don't shuffle until you need to draw again (and therefore will be incorporating any cards that are discarded in the meantime into the newly re-shuffled deck).

I played a few solo games yesterday, and at first, I think I was playing it wrong -- I wasn't shuffling until I needed to draw again, so any Treasure cards discarded after the deck ran out were re-shuffled into the new Treasure deck. I figured it out and started revising when/how I shuffle, only to encounter this scenario...

I draw the last card. It's a Waters Rise. A strict interpretation of the rules would say the order is as follows:

1) Draw last card (Waters Rise).
2) Immediately shuffle the discards to form a new deck.
3) Resolve the Waters Rise card, putting it in the new discard pile (it will be the only card in the new discard pile, and will not come up again until you go through the deck again.)

However, given the very cruel nature of this game, I'm wondering if I should ignore the "immediately" re-shuffle rule in this case and proceed as follows:

1) Draw last card (Waters Rise).
2) Resolve the Waters Rise card, putting it on top of the existing discard pile.
3) Shuffle the discard pile (including the newly drawn Waters Rise card) to form a new deck.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts on this are that you draw the last card, everyone has a chance to respond by playing any sandbags or helicopters, a Waters Rise! would happen, then everything gets shuffled in.
With the flood deck I originally thought that once you started drawing flood cards you couldn't interrupt them with a sandbag. So if there were 2 cards left in the deck and you were drawing 4, you could just lose if one of them was a Fools' Landing. Then when I reread the rules I realized that you have a chance to play a card after each flood card is revealed. (You can't stop the revealed tile from sinking, but you can still play sandbags on other tiles.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.