GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,434 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Keeping cards right-side up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilden
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Do folks train themselves to keep cards right-side up?

Or do they have no need, because they recognize the right-hand side of all the cards?

Or do they arrange their hand each time? Like I do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides sloppy shuffling, I've never had a problem with cards turning upside down during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm OCD, so I keep my cards right side up when playing. Not that hard to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my cards up-side up. Holding horizontally aligned cards feels funny to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always keep cards right side up.
And I am slightly by people who don't.
So when playing Roborally I try to collect all cards and shuffling myself, as that saves me from having to sort my hand afterwards,

In Dominion the problem is insignificant as I have my own deck of only 10 cards, and then maintain the deck myself. So I never have to sort the cards, save for the very first two hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:

Agreed. Though I can never figure out why it's so hard for all my friends...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave41fan wrote:
HomerJr wrote:

Agreed. Though I can never figure out why it's so hard for all my friends...

It's in the way people shuffle. The way I was taught and got used to shuffling a normal deck of cards involved grabbing the top half and bottom half of the deck in each hand and riffle shuffle them in such a way that the 'bottom' of both halves were pointing inwards. Doesn't matter with a poker deck, but 'CCG oriented' cards tend to get mixed up. It never bothered me before and I would even tease an OCD friend of mine by taking her deck and flipping every 4th card or so with her watching. She would start shaking and by about the 3rd card flipped she's grabbing the deck from me and fixing it. Most of that changed when fightball came out. Being real time, it was rather important to have all the cards facing the same way. I had to ask the above OCD friend to teach me how she shuffled and yet maintained orientation. Now, I'm almost equally OCD myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the sloppy shufflers. My deck cards are never all aligned but it doesn't bother me. As soon as I draw the cards I just flip them the right way and it takes hardly any extra time to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin jung
United States
Palatine
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeRockEHF wrote:
I'm one of the sloppy shufflers. My deck cards are never all aligned but it doesn't bother me. As soon as I draw the cards I just flip them the right way and it takes hardly any extra time to do this.

I agree no OCD issues here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:

This.

Fortunately, my wife and roommate are generally OCD enough to keep them the same way, for this game at least. So whichever of us gets it out or puts it away, all the cards are facing the right way.

Now when playing with people I haven't played with before, sometimes they don't, and it bugs me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play with sleeved cards, which are easiest to shuffle when all cards have the same orientation anyway, so the concern never really comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I'll admit it, I'm kinda OCD. My cards must always remain the right way up. When I play my cards onto the table, they always face the same direction and when I sweep them aside to discard, they remain the same way up too.

Some of the people I play with don't seem to care. Their cards are any which way and it drives me completely insane.

They have learnt to put all the cards back the right way when packing up, but not during the game... just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All you have to do to keep the cards right side up when doing a riffle shuffle is rotate both halves in the same direction before shuffling. I prefer to use a weave or monegan shuffle for Dominion as they bend the cards less and are quicker for small decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Steven
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Can't we all just get along?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am mostly OCD enough to want to have my cards facing the same way. It always bugs my when I draw a card and have to turn it around to read it. It really doesn't take me much extra to keep cards all the same direction so I get by okay. When playing a card game like Magic the Gathering, it seems like most if not all of my friends don't do this so when searching through their deck, I always turn the cards to all point in the same direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.