Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Allow myself to introduce...myself rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings from right in the middle of the recently much-maligned red states. If you promise not to call me a wife-beating, bible-thumping, knuckle-dragging neanderthal (or whatever it was), I promise not to call you an elitist, tree-hugging, commie-sympathizing, weenie pacifist.

Seriously, people who fling epithets like that do a great disservice not only to civil discourse but to themselves as well. If you can categorize your opponent as sub-human, you don't have to listen to his arguments. Of course, you also deny yourself the opportunity to expand your knowledge and have your own ideas challenged.

Anyway, I've done one list, submitted a picture and a few comments, and recently agreed to my first trade. But this is my first journal entry. I joined BGG a few months ago and have become a daily visitor.

I credit (or blame, not sure which) this site for my 3-month buying spree of 30ish games from eBay and thrift stores. What a great research tool and community.

For the three of you who read this far and wonder if I should go on your list of people to completely ignore, here's a quick snapshot to confirm your suspicions.

Games rated 10: Squad Leader, Ambush!, Melee.

Games rated 1: Cosmic Encounter, Diplomacy, Monopoly, Poker, Risk.

Most recent game purchases: War of the Ring (SPI), for my Christmas present; 1830 (Avalon Hill), which I got cheap and will likely resell; and Carrier (Victory Games), which I paid for three months ago but just came this week (long story).

Favorite genres/publishers: Wargames, especially WWII tactical and operational level; Science Fiction and Fantasy; Metagames and other minigames.

I'm looking forward to getting an avatar. At my current pace, I'll have enough Geek Gold to get one in about three years.

I'm hoping to write some articles about older games from my collection which do not currently have reviews in the BGG database. Some of these will be from the perspective of the solitaire gamer, because many of my games are solitaire or solitaire suitable. I don't know any opponents where I live (and with a 4-year-old I don't have that much time, either!). I'm sure many will not find this perspective that useful. But I know from experience that a lot of people do a lot of solitaire gaming and are looking for ways to enrich this experience. Suggestions are welcome--I keep my collection pretty up to date.

I will trade. However, my trade list is very short, as I generally hate to get rid of games--even the games I don't like. I'm a bit mental about that. But I will on occasion put a game on there.

And I am always eager to hear suggestions about games I might try with a 4-year-old who is almost ready to read simple words, has a pretty good attention span and has an inordinate fondness for pigs. He also likes to shout "You'll pay for that!", but I assume he's joking.

I also have some issues with monkeys. Crazy little buggers. You've been warned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from both your politics and your taste in games, I'd rather not have met you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi... I recommend Gallopin Pigs. And when he gets older, you can use the pieces for Robo battle pigs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have some issues with monkeys. Crazy little buggers. You've been warned.
Yeah, I'm into monkeys too...
Did you know if you sedate them first, they don't scratch as much when you take off their clothes?

Nice to meet you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
"Pass the Pigs" would also be a good one. "Makin' Bacon!"

Welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to meet you..
I would recommend Zicke Zacke Huhnerkacke. Or if you must, the US reprints under the titles of Dragontales or Match and Fly in Dragon Land, although the original is infinitely more attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazin labyrinth Jr is a great game and any of the memory games helps kids. They can also beat you wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you with the
games for the 4 year old but...

As a Blue Wargamer amd a Red State Resident...politically I quess I'm more of a Purple anyway...welcome to active duty on the geek.

Anybody who rates ASL, Ambush and Melee (I've played all those alot) as tens and shares my former specialty of WW II tactical and operational games has to be really alright or at least can't be all bad.

My main soapbox here is the value of updated collections with cogent comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rise and Decline of the Third Reich a 4?
Diplomacy a 1?

You must have really been trounced!

Nice to meet you!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squad Leader
If you rate Squad Leader a 10, you are A-OK in my book and can marry my sister any time. Oh, actually I don't have a sister, but I can at least put you on my GeekBuddy list. Want to come over for a game of Ebola Monkey Hunt some time?

P.S. Why are you wasting your time with that old relic, SPI WotR? Go get yourself the new FF version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome
Welcome, Aaron. I'm fairly new here, too.

At age 4, my grandson enjoyed Pick Picknic (Hick Hack in Gackelwack) and Frank's Zoo. In fact, we all enjoyed playing those games (certainly nothing like Candyland, etc.!).

Have fun here; it's a great place to spend some time each day.... (and night).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
UNO and Sorry!
My daughter (just turned 5 last week) loves to play UNO. And she's just got the hang of Sorry! too. Both are great (IMHO) for helping kids develop their basic number skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter a 1???
Wow, yer a tough one to please! wow

I can see not liking a game and giving it a low rating, but a 1 seems pretty harsh even for Monopoly much less Diplomacy, Poker, Risk and CE.

Next time you are in CA, look me up and I'll show you how much fun Cosmic can be. laugh

Welcome to the BBG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.