GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

18xx» Forums » General

Subject: Stupid and Ignorant Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is very stupid, but would be great if you guys help me out. Today was the 1st time I actually spent time looking up on the 18xx series and found it very intriguing. I'm new to train game and the only one that I have is Martin Wallace's Steam.(which BTW I still haven't played)

How different are these games compared to Steam and which one would you recommend as the best in the series to start with?

Thanks,
Madhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very very different. Steam is a Pickup&Deliver game. 18xx are Stock Holding games.

It seems to me that most people would say the best introductory game for this family is 18AL, which you have to print yourself. If you don't feel like it, you could buy Steam Over Holland. I own and enjoy both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nauman
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this list: So, you're thinking about giving 18xx a try?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We start teaching with 1889: History of Shikoku Railways, and then once the new player is comfortable with that, which usually takes ~4 games, we graduate them to 18MEX. After that it is a few rounds of 1830: Railways & Robber Barons and they're fairly good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also a number of computer moderators, of greater or lesser usability. In spite of my personal frustrations with Rails, it might make a decent introduction to download a copy and play a game or two of 1830 or 1889 against two or three of your imaginary friends. (If nothing else, playing a few turns through that way will guarantee that you understand the basic pattern of money flows, though it won't help you with the map.)

You might also poke your head into the 18xx Play-by-email thread and see if someone wants to help you through a first game. Unfortunately, the computer game aids all have a learning curve of their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just looking to learn 18xx against computer opponents, the old MS-DOS version of 1830 is readily available and can be played using DOSBOX or a similar emulator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.