Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Feature Suggestion - Custom User Fields rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all: the site is already ultracool. I don't take it for granted. We as gamers are blessed!

However...

Under collections, I've had to check off "notify me of new content" for games that I watch and want to learn more about. It's not that I want to review all the new content--I often don't--it's just that's how I use that field. I then have to unnecessarily weed out my in-bin periodically. I heard on GeekSpeak that as gamers play more and more games they become more selective about the games they are willing to buy. Many times I check the game off if only to indicate that I might consider getting the game or that I want to "try it" with some of my gaming friends first. (I don't want to check it off as for a want or a wishlist item.) Currently, there's no good way to check off a game as a "like to try" or a "purchase consideration warranting more investigation."

Of course, asking for a "like to try" checkbox might be a bit too user specific. Even better might be simply converting the "I want this game" checkbox to a textbox into which users case enter numbers indicating how much they want it -- this would help with sorting. (I believe this was suggested in another recent journal entry.)

On that note, I have a suggestion that might really work out well. Obviously, BGG gets all sorts of requests and you can't provide this checkbox or that checkbox according to each person's whims. Therefore, what if BGG was to create a handful of user-customizable fields?

For example, add these fields to the User table:
CHKBOX1_DESC
CHKBOX2_DESC
CHKBOX3_DESC
TXTBOX1_DESC
TXTBOX2_DESC
TXTBOX3_DESC

Then add the respective fields to the UserCollection table:
CHKBOX1
CHKBOX2
CHKBOX3
TXTBOX1
TXTBOX2
TXTBOX3

In this way, provided BGG allows for sorting and record selection features on these custom fields, lots of user needs could be met. I'd be able to sort by WANT list according to what I want the most. I could also create a checkbox for games that I simply want to try out. The User table descriptions would of course be dynamically filled in on the entry forms and elsewhere throughout the website.

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
For the moment, 3 solutions:
"Want",
"Wishlist",
a private Geeklist (so you may write all the text you like).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Use rating comments . . .
For the games that I want, but have not played, I use the rating comments to put whatever notes about the game that I want to remember and my interest level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Custom fields
Personally, I would prefer not to have custom fields. If it was a custom field, everyone would have their own way of doing things. No way to search for specific information.

By converting the Want checkbox to a want level number, then everyone can see how much I want an item. I think this would solve a multitude of problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there were custom fields, it might be easy for Aldie/Derk to analyze how they are being used. As a result it would be easy to see what features should be directly integrated into the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.