GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,300 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Confessions of Gaius Baltar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our second game of BSG last night. I played the game once before at a game store. This was my first time setting up the loyalty cards.

So, I started the game with my two human loyalty cards and fought hard for the humans. We detected a heavy cylon presence from the start of the game. 4 negative cards on the first crisis and we often failed many a crisis as the game progressed. Though we weren't doing all that badly. We did have our suspicions. President Rosslyn even used a cylon detector to look at Helo's loyalty. The president didn't say much about this either direction, which gave us the impression that they were either both cylons or both human.

Then, during the sleep phase, the sympathizer card came out and sent Helo to the brig. On his next turn Helo revealed himself as a cylon. However, I also got a cylon card in the sleep phase. I obviously no longer suspected President Rosslyn. Adama and our 2 pilots seemed human so I never doubted them. I started to subtly do things worse. I sowed seeds of mistrust and helped put Rosslyn in the brig and helped make Starbuck president. I considered trying to get myself elected but it seemed too hard to pull off.

A super crisis hit, and I played a card to look helpful "investigative committee" that makes skill check cards visible. But I didn't help as much as I could have with my #s.

Then, an interesting thing happened. Helo, and Adama ended up as the only players adding to a particular skill check and when the cards came up, all of them were negative. The particular skill check was to stop President Starbuck from losing 5 cards and 1 morale so some of us chalked it up to Adama's suspicion of Starbuck. I thought that maybe Adama was thinking that, or that he made a human mistake and forgot the helpful color. Adama claimed he didn't want to look suspicious by NOT throwing in a card to "help". I was also thinking about how odd Adama was acting because I thought I was a cylon. I mean, heck, I have a cylon card now.

Morale started getting really low and I felt bad for the humans and helped them even a little more. I ended up playing as a gimped helper lest suspicions be raised against me. Though I did really noticeable helpful stuff like repairing the armory with centurions on board, and trying to talk like the human I was before. We were now at distance 5 but in pretty bad shape. Lots of scales in the red and very low morale. And my cylon card is one that can decrease a morale. Heh heh. I didn't reveal yet though and decided I might not ever in order to keep the humans in discord. Then we had 1 morale left and a crisis that would deplete us to suicidal levels (0). I played +2 (but could have played +7) to help because I didn't want to be too obvious by NOT playing. We ended up about 2 points short and the humans lost!

Then, Helo asked if there was a cylon brother in our midst and I started to open my mouth when Adama said "haha, I was a cylon from the start, just like Helo". And Adama even showed his loyalty cards. Then I flipped mine over (cylon card on the bottom slightly exposed) while this discussion amongst the Helo and Adama was going on about "screwing over the humans at this point and that point" and I thought, "wow, I must have messed up the cylon deck. One of us 3 shouldn't be a cylon." So I flipped my cards back over before anyone looked at my cards or asked for them. I screwed up! I "thought" I was a cylon but I was wrong! Or at least, I'd rather lose than win by screwing up the rules like that.

So I kept it secret. I haven't told my group what happened yet and might not for a bit anyhow. It could be really funny the longer I wait to directly tell them.

If they happen to start looking at my account postings and/or my account and/or the BSG posts, then their reward will be reading this confession of a mess-up/belief on par with the real Baltar! Also, I apologize and hope this doesn't cheapen your victory/loss. Next time I promise to do the deck properly. I still am not quite sure how it happened. Though I think it's because we were showing the new players of the game that night what the cards looked like. Then I took what I thought was another human card and added it to the stack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well at least you role-played Baltar well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Screwed up loyalty decks can make for some of the best games. It isn't a popular opinion, but I'm almost convinced that with the base game, adding in 3 additional cards (1 cylon and 2 not-a-cylon) cards to the loyalty deck adds some additional guesswork to the whole situation.

I mean, as the base game stands (I have no idea about the expansion) by the sleeper phase, you know there's a cylon because all of the cards have been dealt..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AZrugger wrote:
Screwed up loyalty decks can make for some of the best games. It isn't a popular opinion, but I'm almost convinced that with the base game, adding in 3 additional cards (1 cylon and 2 not-a-cylon) cards to the loyalty deck adds some additional guesswork to the whole situation.

I mean, as the base game stands (I have no idea about the expansion) by the sleeper phase, you know there's a cylon because all of the cards have been dealt..

Neat. So, there might only be one cylon in this variation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
AZrugger wrote:

And it's highly unlikely, but there could also be none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AZrugger wrote:
Neo42 wrote:
AZrugger wrote:

And it's highly unlikely, but there could also be none.

Sometimes the game seems hard enough without someone else screwing things up for everyone. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.