Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I should probably think first before complaining about not getting something for free, but I feel like I’ve got to say something. Back on August 9th, Avalanche Press announced proudly that they were going to be providing up to 3 free demo games to “all teachers of history and related subjects.” [See: http://www.avalanchepress.com/News%20Release.php]

I immediately sent off the required email describing a few games that were relevant to my classes that students might want to play, and of course I volunteered to pay for shipping and handling (being separated by a full continent from Avalanche’s warehouse). Well, a month later I hadn’t heard anything, so I sent another email. This one politely asked if the offer still stood and requested a email response.

Another month of silence went by, so I sent another email. I pointed out that the press release was still on their site (and is now), and if they would just send me a “buzz off” email I’d gladly stop annoying them. After yet another 3 or 4 weeks I tried that ancient technology, the telephone. I left a chipper voice-mail message in regard to the offer and asked for either a call back or an email. And guess what? Nothing. A second message managed to get the same result. Two requests sent via Avalanche’s own website similarly failed to provoke any response.

Yes, I know I’m getting all steamed ‘cause I didn’t get something for nothing, but was Avalanche’s announcement a lie? Were there some unspoken limits or something on the offer? Or did they just make the announcement to look good without any intention of following through? This would be, to paraphrase Avalanche’s CEO, “the best advertising we could ask for!"

Has anyone heard anything about this? Or are they just out to get me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.