GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,128 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Wilderness War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lake Schooner clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I get some clarification on the Lake Schooner card please?

"Play when enemy moves into FRIENDLY fortification space along lake connection (Ontario or Erie shore, or anywhere from Ile-aux-Noix to Hudson Carry North). Enemy stops in the previously occupied space."

I took this to mean when the activated enemy moves into one of YOUR fortifications, not one of his own. But a recent BPA game played it differently (FR moved to his own fort in TIC, the BR player played this and the FR moved back to CP).

I thought I clarified this with a GM years back, but perhaps I'm suffering from poor memory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, the BPA game was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave. I was about to play it in my game and was worried! I understood this incorrectly a while back, and just couldn't remember the clarification I received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is that the friendly fortification is serving as a support base for the friendly schooner, which impedes the enemy's movement along the lake. -- vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good one! I found myself initially taking sides with both arguments of the equation. Volko's explanation obviously makes much more sense.

I suppose if I had to rewrite the card text it would have said:

"Play when enemy moves into YOUR friendly fortification space..." That one word insert easily clarifies this dilemma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark of carnage
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Can the Lake schooner card be played against interceptions.

I'm playing the French and have Levis being sieged in Crown Point by Johnson. Montcalm has just moved in to relieve the siege and give Johnson a good hiding.

Johnson decided not to withdraw from battle and Abercromby is now attempting to intercept into Crown Point for the mother of battles.

If I play Lake Schooner does this prevent Abercromby coming in. In other words is an intercept also a move?

Edit: Can it also stop retreats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.