GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,178 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Chicago Express» Forums » General

Subject: Chicago Express vs Imperial rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
I'm in the process of downsizing my collection and would like to avoid owning two games that scratch the same itch.

So in your opinion, are the aforementioned games different enough to warrant owning both, or if you feel they are similiar which is better?

This is posted in the Imperial forum as well so as not to appear biased toward one game over the other.

Thanks for your insight.

-John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. Since you are trying to downsize, I agree they "scratch the same itch". I like both games a lot, but if I had to choose I'd dump Imperial without regret and save Chicago Express.

My main reason is I like the victory conditions of CE far more than the arbitrary ending of Imperial. Imperial always seems like a simple race at the end. In CE some players will want to attempt to rush the game, while others will try to delay.

On the whole CE is the more elegant and streamlined. It is both simpler in design and more difficult to understand than Imperial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial is much longer and more complicated. I find Chicago Express easier to teach new players and still packing a lot of interesting strategic decisions. Imperial is better if you like open conflict/warfare, or the Diplomacy-like theme. I suspect Chicago Express will get more plays, and be enjoyed by more gamers, but keep Imperial if you like the theme, and want the heavier game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a tough decision but I would have to say that CE has better chance of seeing more plays. You can also always get CE for the iPhone/iPad and keep Imperial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How anyone could say this "scratches the same itch" as Imperial is totally beyond me. I don't think you could make 2 more divergent games if you tried. And, in my most humble opinion, Imperial is the far superior game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess, to me, they did not scratch the same itch, so to speak.

I only played Imperial once, though.

But, I"m a huge fan of CE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Anjohl wrote:
No, but it seems counterintuitive that someone can bid low for a share, and that the company can pay out dividends from thin air, even though the treasury has virtually nothing in it.

It is assumed that the company has installed plant and rolling stock that are not represented in the game but are sufficient to generate revenue and pay dividends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjohl wrote:
Big difference is that the dividends in CE are paid out of thin air, with no consequence on the companies, which really destroys the financial model IMHO. Now, does that make the game worse? No, but it seems counterintuitive that someone can bid low for a share, and that the company can pay out dividends from thin air, even though the treasury has virtually nothing in it.
The profit and dividends doesn't come from the emission of shares in CE but from actual profit from the locations / transportation / whatever along the rail way. Doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The dividend phase sees the companies generate income which is then divvied out to the investors. The dividends are not paid from the companies treasuries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.