Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: No more trades! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Kestering
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made 4 trades so far. Only one trade was good.
Why does everyone cheat on me?
I just traded a really like new copy of Carcassonne Die Stadt for a really worn out copy of Daytona 500. Why? Because I was told it would be a nice copy.
It was not. I guess it was from the thrift store because there was writing on the box.
This is the third out of 4 times that this is happening.
2 times I used the new trade manager - good thing!
But as soon as I accept and I shiped the game - I get messages like - oh I have not recognized before but there is a sticker sheet missing - oh there are little dents in the box.
PLease check that before the trade!!!!!!!!!
I do not want your ugly thrift store copies anymore!

Even the last purchases were bad. So I just decided no more - okay I leave a positive feedback because he said sorry. I do not care for your sorry - I just want the game I paid my money for.
So watch out everyone! I am not nice anymore to people who want to cheat on me!
Everyone who has not done a trade before - ask for pictures! Maybe after you have seen them you do not want to trade anymore.
Here on Boardgamesgeek is a list - which defines what exactly means like new or very good.
Why does no one respect this one? Am I the only one who tries to describe the games for sale/trade what they really look like?

Greetings from Mad Sarah (gonzo104)angryangryangryangryangryangryangryangry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough Luck
Heh

Reason why I don't buy used games, only new. If I ever do, I want to inspect it myself and see for if it's acceptable or not.

I don't trade online. Only buy new games online. Sold a couple of used games I had. Sold them to my gamer friends I play with. So it was always face to face. I take good care of my games.

Don't plan to trade online. No offense to thoses who do. Stories like theses, I want to stay away from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
EBay
This is especially bad on EBay. EVERYTHING is advertised as "Mint." I remember when Mint use to mean never opened & never played with. Now it ranges from there to played with 20+ times and in nice shape angry

On the other hand I have made 7-8 trades here an the Geek, and so far so good! I have been pleased with my trade partners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've pulled off about 20 trades so far, and have only had one where I or the other party was not pleased (I didn't receive my games; I think many of you know which trade that one was!).

I've also sold a few games, with only one dissatisfied customer. Oh yeah, come to think of it, it was the Speed Circuit that I sold you, Sarah.

I guess certain people, such as yourself, just have extremely high standards that the games they buy or trade for have to live up to. "Nice" means two entirely different things whether you're trading for an older game such as Daytona 500 as opposed to a newer game. One should expect some box wear, even those in nice condition, on games such as Daytona 500.

As I remember it, the Speed Circuit I sent you was in great shape, even the box looked good, and you still complained about it being in bad shape! It just leaves me to believe that you're being overly picky and unrealistic. A game from the 1990's or older is not going to look like new unless it's still shrinkwrapped!

Luckily, the rest of the BGG community can use common sense and can still buy, sell, and trade their games happily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
That's no way to handle a disagreement
Chad, why didn't you just e-mail Sarah privately? She did not post your name? This does not seem fair, nor will it help in reaching some kind of positive resolution to the problem. And if you feel that I should have e-mailed you privately to have offered this advice, you are probably correct. I am not trying to step on your toes, but to "name names" and "air your ditry laundry" in public seems like just another way of burning bridges instead of building them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kestering
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But
Hi Chad!
BUT I have read the guideline on BGG. So I expect a game listed as very good to be in a condition like described in the guideline.
That is how I list my games for sale.
To your Speed Cuircuit:
it was played a LOT!!!
the speed scales where bent.
One split corner.
I had to wipe the plastic off - was kind of dirty - not ugly dirty but used a lot more dusty not ugly sticky.
I do not think that age is an excuse for bad shape.
(I would not have written that in the journal- but you started it)
I have an 15 year old car. That is old. But that is not a reason to sell it as mint.
And as I could remember you got still a positive feedback.

Yeah and ebay is worse. I do not think I will buy there again. Okay I had 2 or 3 nice buys, but in the last time mint means sticky stains in rules and broken corners.

Maybe I am just too picky.
Maybe I just just go ahead and list all my games for sale as like new.

But I think I will only purchase new games. That is what I did most times, but some I would like to have are out of print...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kestering
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
game shape
BGG guideline also syas that games with split corners are acceptable.
Sometimes I wonder what people do with there games?
Let the dog bite on them?
Kick them around?
Store them in the garden hut?
I do own some games that are old and played a lot but are still in very nice shape.

(Hey Chad - sorry - I guess my writing was to offensive.blush
But I am just very dissaponted - given really nice games or money away and recieving crap)

I send away a game that I bought at a store and I get an ugly thriftstore game - worth 1 Dollar compared to the condition.
I just wanted to buy on BGG because I thougt - hey these are all gamers - so they now that I wont like sticky games - they read the guideline.
But a lot of games I bought here are not worth the shipping.

So finally I will write a name. The only game trade I was satisfied with was with : ALAN HOW - Thank you. You showed me there is hope in this world

I will just need some time to put all games from my trading list.... was 121 or so....

And I am trying not to care for old games I do not yet anymore.
picky Sarah - no cruelty on game boxes!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pleased with my used game purchases
Just curious: did you ask specific questions in advance or just settle for one-word descriptions like "nice"? It definitely pays to get detailed information ahead of time, on the Geek or on eBay. I've had good luck mostly on eBay and have just shipped a game in my first trade here on the Geek.

One suggestion. If a transaction really disappoints you and you feel you have a legitimate gripe, ask the other person
politely to refund you a couple dollars or something (if that would be appropriate). I bought a game on eBay advertised as complete, but it came with some pieces missing. I politely e-mailed, and the guy refunded all my money and shipping and let me keep the game. No sweat.

Don't give up just because of a few bad experiences. Learn from this and be a more careful buyer/seller/trader. I don't think very many people are actually actively trying to cheat you.

I hate to say this, but I wonder if your post is going to scare good sellers/traders off? This seems like an inevitable consequence when you talk about being "cheated".

Good luck. But remember: ultimately it's about playing the games. Unless you just want to put them on a shelf to look at, you've got to unwrap them and use them anyway. Unpunched and new games are nice. But I'd rather have three complete, playable used games than one brand new one anyday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
My intent wasn't to air my dirty laundry, but to provide a dissenting voice as one of the "guilty parties" that Sarah has dealt with. I'm just saying that I've made a lot of transactions, and Sarah has been the only complaint that I've had so far. I just thought I'd throw my opinion out there that maybe she has some unrealistic expectations when it comes to the trades she makes. When you trade for old games, you're going to have a crease here and there.

My apologies go out to you, Sarah, if my words sounded a bit harsh. It wasn't meant to be a personal attack in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah is a good source of games
I've bought from Sarah (not traded!) a couple times (a fair number of games between them) and was very happy with what I got. She is serious about sending good games.

I should also mention that glanfam sells games in conditions that would please anyone and cares about giving a fair deal, too.

OTOH, I would prefer to avoid eBay due to many bad experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I don't trade or buy enough games, but the trade I just did on the Geek was pretty much the epitome of a perfect trade (both parties mailed the boxes on the same day, both parties received games of equal value and play value on the same day, both in the right condition and both in very good condition).

I've bought some discounted old CCG items from Ebay and not had things go astray (including: all four Babylon 5 starters, a box of Babylon 5 boosters, all ten Middle Earth challenge decks, one display of Mystick: Dominion, random odds and ends like that).

But I've probably not bought enough, and I try to be careful with who I trade/buy things from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that those who trade games must be open to the fact that they're not going to be receiving store-quality merchandise. That's why it's trading and not buying.

As to eBay, I've had only one bad experience out of several hundred. One guy backed out on a deal after bidding over $500, so I still have his stuff all boxed up for shipping overseas. Other than that, I've always got what I wanted and given what I advertised. No significant complaints. I think you just have to rely on the feedback system and ask lots of questions. If that works for eBay, it may well work for BGG trading too.

As to Chad's remark, I didn't take it as a slam on Sarah, just pointing out that maybe some perspective was necessary. Until I read Chad's remark, I figured that Sarah was receiving games with missing parts, not just a bent player aid here or there. With Chad's response, I realized that Sarah probably holds games to a much, much higher standard than most.

That's nothing against Sarah. I, too, hold games to a very high standard, which is why I don't trade and rarely buy from someone without lots of questions and research. In short, I take all the trading anecdotes (good and bad) with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.