GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Yucata.de tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tournament

Yucata.de fans - I need your help. I am going to run a tournament to find the 'best' player(s) on Yucata. It is in its infancy at the moment, so I would like your feedback/thoughts on my ideas so far, and also an indication as to whether you would be interested in participating.

I don't think it matters too much how long the tournament takes - with people potentially only taking one move every day or so and numerous games to play it is obviously going to take a little while to get through the whole tournament. However, If I can mitigate this as much as possible, so much the better.

This is as much as way of getting people together and building up a bit of friendly rivalry as anything else. I hope that no one takes it too seriously, but everyone can have some fun playing.

Games

These are the games I am considering. I make no apologies for them being the games I play the most, but they also seem to be reasonably popular with other players, and also not too tricky. All play well with 2-4 players (important later on) and all are relatively quick (something like carc would take too long imho)

Poll
Which games would you like to play in the tournament? (select as many as you like)
Oregon
Maori
Vikings
Popmeii
St Petersburg
Finca
Hey That's My Fish
Yspahan
Stone Age
Hacienda
      21 answers
Poll created by Jenkachu

There is no limit on the number of games in the tournament as each game will be run separately. Let me know if there are any other games you want, and if there is enough demand, I will make it happen.

Format

The format will depend a little on how many players enter. Initially I plan to have a group of 4 players, with everyone playing each other once in a 2-player game. Three points will be awarded for a win, one for a draw (where applicable) and nothing for a loss.

There will also be a single 4-player game for the four players. I haven't yet decided whether to make this the tie-breaker for the group, or to award points (three for first, two for second etc) and have total points scored as the tie breaker.

Depending on how the numbers go, the winner (or first and second) will progress to the next round, and join a new group.

The final winner will either be the winner of the final group, or a play-off single game between the top two.

Prizes

The prizes will be in the form of I hope that people will be happy to pay an entry fee of 1 and this will go to the winners of the various tournaments. The breakdown of percentages is yet to be decided.

What happens now?

This is where you come in. Let me know if you are interested in participating. I will post a proper subscription thread once I have ironed out the final details. I hope to at least have the subscription thread up in a week or so.

Let me know what you think of the choice of games and the proposed format. Would you be prepared to pay 1 to enter?

Thanks for your input. This idea will fall flat on its face if people don't want to play, and I think that would be a real shame.

Jenks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
The Tournament
Maori
Oregon
Vikings
Pompeii
But I don't know any of those!

How about Hacienda, GoBang, Richelieu and St. Petersburg? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
If they play well with both 2 and 4, and enough people want to play them, then they're in. Go and learn the others though - they're great games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it. Edgar Allan Poe
badge
Ain't nobody here but us chickens...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm willing to pay some GG to enter a tournament. I do like the idea of round-robin pools for the early rounds—that way a single bad game won't necessarily do you in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, with some reservations from me...

Maori - just don't get it (yet). I am trying but it doesn't seem to click with me

Oregon - I get it but I can work out how the people I play against get such big scores - I can see how they do it but I never seem to get the cards to do it with.

Vikings, Pompeii - Sure.

Proposed Addtion - Hey That's My Fish (plays to 4, quick and fun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
If they play well with both 2 and 4, and enough people want to play them, then they're in. Go and learn the others though - they're great games
Whether I enter the tournament or not, I'll throw 10 in the prize pool.

GoBang doesn't play with 4 and Richelieu is best with 2, 4 is just ok.I was mostly just kidding as those are the games I have the best record at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
We should do a poll of what games to include.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
I support the previous suggestion of adding Hey That's My Fish.

Hey, That's My Suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Whether I enter the tournament or not, I'll throw 10 in the prize pool.

Thank you very much!

Quote:

I have been thinking about this, and I like the idea. I have also been thinking about the best way to do signups. Once I get a few more posts here, I think I will set up a geeklist with all the proposed games on it. Those that wish to enter can tip the geeklist item for the relevant game. I will keep that open for a week or so to give people time to join, and then set up the tournament from there, once I have final numbers for each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in entering.

Some suggestions for games:
Finca
Hey that's my Fish
Saint Petersburg

All games that play well with 2 and 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:

Good idea. Personally I'd be happy with all those games but would want to replace Oregon with Hacienda. But a poll would be best I think.

Also, how do tournaments work on Yucata? Are they ranked always or can you choose (if so what would you choose?!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see Yspahan and Stone Age included. Maori I am not familiar enough with, same for Oregon. But a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
chris1nd wrote:

Good idea. Personally I'd be happy with all those games but would want to replace Oregon with Hacienda. But a poll would be best I think.

Also, how do tournaments work on Yucata? Are they ranked always or can you choose (if so what would you choose?!!)

Not exactly sure what you mean by "ranked" tournaments. There is no tournament facility on Yucata, so the exact format and organisation will be done by me. There will be no seeding, the draw will be random.

I have created a poll in the OP now containing most the games people have asked for. I am not sure about including them all though - Stone Age, for example, was the first game I ever started on Yucata, and the 4-player game took about 2 months to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
What about this:
Upon registering, each player tells the tournament director which games they know (or would prefer to play).

2 paired players simply agree between themselves on a game to play, choosing from any yucata game.

If they can't agree, then the tournament director randomly picks one from the games they know in common.

If they know no games in common, then the tournament director randomly picks one from the games neither of them knows!

As for a single 4-player game: I like the proposal to use that only as a tiebreaker for advancing out of one round-robin pool to the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the beta version of Thurn and Taxis is good enough to include - I haven't seen any bugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Narl wrote:
I would like to see Yspahan and Stone Age included. Maori I am not familiar enough with, same for Oregon. But a great idea!

My experience with Stone Age on Yucata is that with 4 players it can drag on forever. Same with Pompeii and Finca, but perhaps this would be better if people know they're in a tournament? Again, polls needed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
What about this:
Upon registering, each player tells the tournament director which games they know (or would prefer to play).

2 paired players simply agree between themselves on a game to play, choosing from any yucata game.

If they can't agree, then the tournament director randomly picks one from the games they know in common.

If they know no games in common, then the tournament director randomly picks one from the games neither of them knows!

As for a single 4-player game: I like the proposal to use that only as a tiebreaker for advancing out of one round-robin pool to the next round.

This would be a good idea for an 'overall' champion, but I want it to be focused on specific games.

I will have to word the sign-up carefully, and make sure people know that for each game they enter, they will be playing three 2-player games and one 4-player game at once. If you enter more than one game, then that will be a lot of concurrent games. Personally, I don't think that is a problem as I like to have lots of games on the go, but it might be for some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
chris1nd wrote:

Not exactly sure what you mean by "ranked" tournaments. There is no tournament facility on Yucata, so the exact format and organisation will be done by me. There will be no seeding, the draw will be random.

I have created a poll in the OP now containing most the games people have asked for. I am not sure about including them all though - Stone Age, for example, was the first game I ever started on Yucata, and the 4-player game took about 2 months to play...

Well, in the 'legend' there is a T for tournaments so I assume it is possible...what I mean is does it affect your ranking at all! It won't stop me from entering, I was just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I would hope and assume tournament games are rated. Why wouldn't they be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
Narl wrote:

My experience with Stone Age on Yucata is that with 4 players it can drag on forever. Same with Pompeii and Finca, but perhaps this would be better if people know they're in a tournament? Again, polls needed!

My thoughts exactly. Although, as long as people know what they are letting themselves in for, there is certainly no hurry to get through the tournament. Any gaming is good gaming, as they say...

Actually, I don't know if they say that. But they should.

Thurn and Taxis would also be a good idea, although I haven't played it enough to know how fast it plays. I will add it to the sign-up thread once it has been made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole tournament issue...

I asked Sparhawk if he minded me setting up this tournament, and his exact words were:

Quote:
Hi,

no problem, you can organise your tournament. The format would be interesting: I am still looking for a good format.

/Sparhawk

I didn't ask him any more about it, but I deduced that there is no tournament mode on Yucata. I intended to rely on people's integrity for reporting the scoring. It makes no odds to me whether people play a ranked or unranked game, as long as they report the score back to me.

I suppose I should have made this a little clearer in the original post. This tournament has nothing to do with Yucata other than the fact that that is where the games are being played. As far as I care, you could play the games face to face - I am interested in the scores from the games, and I will use those to make up my own league tables.

Make sense now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Wilke
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:

I understand the BGG-users and yucata.de-players are to different groups. If they were not, it would be easy to determine the most liked games: Just have a look at the yucata.de statistics and see what is played the most often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Wilke
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:

We've run tournaments before but only with two-player games. You really want to run games in a tournament where more than two players play? It's possible of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Wilke
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:

Not exactly sure what you mean by "ranked" tournaments. There is no tournament facility on Yucata, so the exact format and organisation will be done by me.

That is partly correct. Yucata.de does know tournament games. Administrators are able to create tournament games. Those games are always ranked games and they take precedence in the turn order over other games.
Tournament games will have a red "T" in the current games list and also within the game.

There is also a facility for registering for a tournament.

But, there is no automatic tournament mode and tournaments have been limited to two-player-games so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparhawk wrote:
chris1nd wrote:

I understand the BGG-users and yucata.de-players are to different groups. If they were not, it would be easy to determine the most liked games: Just have a look at the yucata.de statistics and see what is played the most often.

Thanks. I had forgotten that there were stats on Yucata. Looking at them, it seems that the games we have picked are fairly popular.

Sparhawk wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:

We've run tournaments before but only with two-player games. You really want to run games in a tournament where more than two players play? It's possible of course...

Yes, I definately want the tournament with more than two players. It will be as per the soccer world cup initially, with players in a group of four before moving on to a knock-out stage.

Sparhawk wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:

Not exactly sure what you mean by "ranked" tournaments. There is no tournament facility on Yucata, so the exact format and organisation will be done by me.

That is partly correct. Yucata.de does know tournament games. Administrators are able to create tournament games. Those games are always ranked games and they take precedence in the turn order over other games.
Tournament games will have a red "T" in the current games list and also within the game.

There is also a facility for registering for a tournament.

But, there is no automatic tournament mode and tournaments have been limited to two-player-games so far.

Apologies for missing this - I had a look through the FAQ and couldn't see anything about it. My intentions have always been to avoid asking the admins on Yucata for anything - I don't want this to be a burden on them. However, it might be something worth considering in the future, having user-made tournaments.

Thanks again for letting me run this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.