GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,838 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

San Juan» Forums » General

Subject: Electronic version with Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of an electronic version of SJ that includes the Treasure Chest expansion cards? I just got the exp myself and think it dramatically improves the game. Would love to get some more plays in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know about the electronic version including the expansion, but I do have a question for you.

I have the expansion, but haven't tried it yet. You say it dramatically improves the game. Do you use both expansions or just expansion number 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say it dramatically improves the game, but I haven't touched SJ for well over a year, and one play with the expansion made me want to play again.

The action cards add an interesting new element that actually adds some player interactivity, which was one of my primary criticisms of the game.

The Bank might be a little overpowered, and I heard the Harbor was a bit overpowered. Incentive to use some of the action cards is a bit low, but they do stay out indefinitely, so... more variety is better, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:

I have the expansion, but haven't tried it yet. You say it dramatically improves the game.

San Juan was my gateway game. As a former M:tG player, I was instantly drawn in and bought a copy very soon. After >150 plays (mostly on one of the AI PC programs - can't remember which one), though, I began to tire of it. I still loved the mechanics, but had too many games which I lost because I couldn't draw a 6 bldg. That, to me, became the fatal flaw of the game.

The expansion changes this. There are many more paths to victory (one of which is available to anyone) and more effective ways to filter through the deck looking for specific cards. I've only played 3 times so I can't give a definitive opinion yet, but initial outlook is VERY good. The game is going back into my regular rotation after a long absence.

burrie wrote:

Do you use both expansions or just expansion number 1?

I can't really comment on expansion 2 yet. 2 of my 3 games were with new or inexperienced players, so we only used expansion 1 (which I think is fine to use every time, no matter who's playing). I did use expansion 2 in a mock 2p game I played out just to see how they worked. They seem a bit odd, but I can see how they would be useful in certain circumstances. The whole game is about pushing your advantage and minimizing opponents' leeching off your actions, so having more options can't be a bad thing...esp in a 4p game where player 4 is frequently required to help someone more else than themself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.