GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,240 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Blue Moon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does an ignored character leave you with zero value? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing against my girlfriend today (she loves this game ) and we had a little trouble deciding how this works.

Situation:
I could only play one card per turn thanks to her support cards and she was left with zero fire at the end of her turn after playing the Hawk card which ignores my characters, not a bad combo. (I think she had played an armor card to make the "zero" fire value legal). I played a character card which was ignored, does this still leave me at a total of "zero" fire? Obviously if I needed 3 fire or something I would have been stuck since I have to play an ignored character and was limited to one a turn.

Basically, if a character is ignored, does it still count for zero value of whichever you are battling in? We decided that it does but we weren't sure. Thanks for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Playing against my girlfriend today (she loves this game )

KEEPER!

Quote:

Basically, if a character is ignored, does it still count for zero value of whichever you are battling in? We decided that it does but we weren't sure. Thanks for the advice.

If all of your cards are blank your total strength is zero.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks for the fast response! Yes she is definately a keeper! We just got engaged almost two weeks ago. When we just started dating she consented to play Dungeon Twister with me in a "hipster" coffee house, though she refused to use the stand-ups. Now we bring games with us almost everywhere we go!

I was amazed that she continues to request this one since it "looks so nerdy" to her. But she loved it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:

Essentially, yes. One of the rules near the end of the rulebook describes what ignored does, and it reduces value to zero, and power is the total of your values. You can have a positive power, but it would have to come from boosters or supports, which as you note was a problem in this case. Just hope you can retreat for only one dragon loss.

Incidentally there are examples such ad this on the FAQ list, see the links section or (warning, this is on a mobile device and from memory) http://www.mnemosyne.demon.co.uk/bgames/bluemoon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you were all so awesome to answer my first question here's another for you quickly (Try to keep the thread count down here). If the Hoax has Brain Drain (You can only play one card per turn) in play, does removing this card remove that restriction for that turn or only subsequent turns? Can Cast Cataclysm (leadership) be played, then characters and boosters? Or would CC be the only card they could play and then have to retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding or ignoring takes effect immediately. In this case the restriction is lifted and you can play more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Since you were all so awesome to answer my first question here's another for you quickly (Try to keep the thread count down here). If the Hoax has Brain Drain (You can only play one card per turn) in play, does removing this card remove that restriction for that turn or only subsequent turns? Can Cast Cataclysm (leadership) be played, then characters and boosters? Or would CC be the only card they could play and then have to retreat?

FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I looked at the FAQ, it was rather daunting to try and read through. It reminded me of the time my roommate referred me to the online M:TG rules. What a nightmare. Thanks for the responses though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Yeah I looked at the FAQ, it was rather daunting to try and read through.

So don't. Use a more intelligent process. Look at your second question. It's fundamentally about Brain Drain, there is no other card with that ability. So search for occurrences of Brain Drain. You might get unlucky and discover it split across lines. That tales a little more work for common words, but here just searching for one word or the other in the card name will work. In other cases the card name may not do it. So think what you are actually asking about and try those sections. Take your original question, it's about ignoring a character, try that section. Or if that fails the other thing it is about is values, try that. If there's a specific topic you have an issue with, maybe read that section, there will rarely be more than ten questions. But reading the whole thing, start to finish? No, not a plan I'd recommend.

Or alternatively, read the rulebook carefully. The page with the Special Rules on in particular answers a lot of the trickier questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.