GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,578 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Firestorm» Forums » Rules

Subject: 7 firestorm questions (please help) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first 2-player firestorm, and 7 major questions came up:

1) Maximum commands
Are maximum commands literally that? In our game, a fate card drawn during reset phase stated "reduce enemy maximum commands by 1 until end of next turn". So, we inferred that this turn and next turn would be -1 maximum commands for the player. However, we were unsure if he remained at 2 commands, or if he needed to immediately turn his couter to 1 (which is his base 2 minus 1 for the fate card)?
It seems convoluted that max commands would dynamically change what you have since heroes can boost you over it.

2) Heroes on ships.
Is there a limit to the number of heroes on non-fighter ships?

3) Heroes same.
I know two non-unique and non-restricted heroes can be in play, but can they be on the same ship?

4) The hero shuffle.
This confused me. It seems that strategic passing is an important part of the game, as is the intelligent use of commands. Hero movement states that " Main: move any number of heroes you control at the same location to a ship or planet at the same location".
There is no turning or anything else for this, right? Does this initiate a hero "shuffle" where a player can waste their actions for infinite turns by shuffling their heroes between two ships while waiting to be the last player with commands? Did I miss a rule?

5) Multiple shields.
I know that you can't use multiple energy on guns, and only one attack react. Can you use multiple energy to pump your sheilds against one huge attack? Can you stack defense reacts? Can you stack reacts in general?

6) Busy Boom
Can a turned ship initiate combat? Where is the ruling?

7) Heroes moving
Can a turned hero move using the regular Main action to shuffle to a ship or planet in current location?

I would really, really appreciate anyone taking the time to help me solve these questions. Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lui
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eric,
I'll answer the ones know where to find in the Comp Rules now:

bungeeboy wrote:
1) Maximum commands
Are maximum commands literally that? In our game, a fate card drawn during reset phase stated "reduce enemy maximum commands by 1 until end of next turn". So, we inferred that this turn and next turn would be -1 maximum commands for the player. However, we were unsure if he remained at 2 commands, or if he needed to immediately turn his couter to 1 (which is his base 2 minus 1 for the fate card)?
It seems convoluted that max commands would dynamically change what you have since heroes can boost you over it.

Your intuition is correct. Your commands are "set" to your maximum commands at the start of the turn (403.1), and the maximum commands trait is not used again until your next turn.

Quote:
2) Heroes on ships.
Is there a limit to the number of heroes on non-fighter ships?
3) Heroes same.
I know two non-unique and non-restricted heroes can be in play, but can they be on the same ship?

No limit so long as it's a non-fighter ship (605), and you can have any number of heroes (regardless of their unique/restricted status-- those are "in play" restrictions) on board the same ship. (if you're heavy on theme, you can consider them to be archetypes, not names)

Quote:
4) The hero shuffle.
This confused me. It seems that strategic passing is an important part of the game, as is the intelligent use of commands. Hero movement states that " Main: move any number of heroes you control at the same location to a ship or planet at the same location".
There is no turning or anything else for this, right? Does this initiate a hero "shuffle" where a player can waste their actions for infinite turns by shuffling their heroes between two ships while waiting to be the last player with commands? Did I miss a rule?

Hmm. I remember this coming up during playtest, but i don't remember how it was being resolved. It might be an application of the infinite loops rule, but that doesn't sound right. I'll have to get back to you.

Quote:
5) Multiple shields.
I know that you can't use multiple energy on guns, and only one attack react. Can you use multiple energy to pump your sheilds against one huge attack? Can you stack defense reacts? Can you stack reacts in general?

This is implied, but not stated, in the main rules about Combat Reacts. It is spelled out in the quick start rules at the end of the rulebook. (p.92 - not the best place for it, I agree!) You can stack defense reacts, including multiple shield activations.

Quote:
6) Busy Boom
Can a turned ship initiate combat? Where is the ruling?

As long as you have a Command, any ship, turned or unturned, can initiate combat. (203) You can't attack a target that has already been attacked this turn.

Quote:
7) Heroes moving
Can a turned hero move using the regular Main action to shuffle to a ship or planet in current location?

Only unturned Heroes can move. (404.3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

In the quest for knowledge, I reviewed the errata on the website. I guess they ruled that each non-fighter ship can only have upgrades/fighters/heroes equal to or less than its structure. This severely changes things, since a ship must sacrifice cards if its structure drops (the most common way this occurs, I assume, is through damage).

I'm glad I read the errata though, because I was using the Issue One Command to deploy actions a lot, typically issuing 1 command for the action and 1 command for the typical cost of a card. This was killing my soven. It makes much more sense to just pay the card cost.

I guess the last question I have is regarding the hero shuffle. I haven't played enough yet to tell if hero shuffling is an advantage or disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nickoloff
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay.

There is no rule covering it for casual play. If you and your opponents keep doing the shuffle, please continue until you get bored (or you can play if you both shuffle 3 times in a row, the Main phase ends).

In Organized Play, it would be covered under rule 704.44 "Slow Play and Stalling" and both players would be subject to a penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.