GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,504 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Chaos in the Old World» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Board to Death Video Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Board to Death TV reviews Chaos in the Old World.

Steve gives it 7, and Michaela 8 out of 10 and they summarize the game thusly.

What's Cool:
You get to play as the Evil Demon Gods of Chaos!
Don't have to be a Warhammer fan to enjoy this game.
The map design (by Andrew Navaro) is beautiful.
Multiple ways of winning.
Start-up map is random due to special tokens.
Really sick looking Monster pieces.
Cool turning dials that reward you and keeps track of your progress.

What's Not:
Some map areas are too small to fit many tokens in.
Simultaneous battles between 4 players can get confusing and contradictory.

Neutral Information:
Not a very long game like others, can last you about 2 hours.
The God of War (red) is easier to play than the others.
Some small tokens can be lost easily and you only get 4 of them.

P.S. I have permission to post the Board to Death reviews at this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:

Whats contradictory ? Battle sequence is according to the regular player sequence Khorne/Nurgle/Tzeentch/Slaanesh. Battles are resolved for each region from north to south in usual region order. I havent encountered any problems with that.

Yokiboy wrote:
The God of War (red) is easier to play than the others.

Actually, according to my experience, which is atm 28 games played, Khorne is not at all the easiest god to play. You can win with any god, balance is alright. But winning with Khorne needs alot of luck, effort and the right events. Nurgles strategy is even less subtle than Khornes is. Throw in a noob into an experienced group, with Khorne he'll barely stand a chance - give him Nurgle he could actually win right away with abit help and advice. Even in an all beginners group my experience is that everyone is rather running away from Khorne since he is the bad guy that wants to kill others. So the other three have something in common to avoid and thats easy to grasp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, but I have to disagree:
Yokiboy wrote:
Some map areas are too small to fit many tokens in.

The map may be confusing as it is, but no area of it is small. I didn't have this problem.

Yokiboy wrote:

As above, the rules are clear and battles are in order, I never thought they were confusing and even less that they were contradictory.

The rest is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel, you precede me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kislev is too small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this game and the more you and your group play it to understand how each god works and interacts the more fun it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
Kislev is too small

I don't think we play the same game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:
Actually, according to my experience, which is atm 28 games played, Khorne is not at all the easiest god to play. You can win with any god, balance is alright. But winning with Khorne needs alot of luck, effort and the right events. Nurgles strategy is even less subtle than Khornes is. Throw in a noob into an experienced group, with Khorne he'll barely stand a chance - give him Nurgle he could actually win right away with abit help and advice. Even in an all beginners group my experience is that everyone is rather running away from Khorne since he is the bad guy that wants to kill others. So the other three have something in common to avoid and thats easy to grasp.

I think Khorne can be easier to play when you play against people who don't clue into his dial advancement conditions. I played against someone who, no matter how much we warned him to stop putting his cultists in an area where Khorne was, kept doing it. He just wouldn't tune into the idea that each God was played differently. There are some dense fellows like that. So it's good when you play with some of the "sharper" folks out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
Fwing wrote:
Kislev is too small

I don't think we play the same game!

I would totally agree with Kislev being too small. Any time you get a pile-up there or in Troll Country you need to be meticulous about piling up the tokens and placing the figures or else you get a messy pile of stuff that bleeds into the neighboring regions, and it's impossible to subtly try and count the tokens to see if you can go in for a surprise ruination. "Hey, why is Tzeentch staring at that region so hard?".....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Much though I love FFG components, this is a game that would have benefitted from small wooden cubes for Corruption tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lam
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Too much strategy can ruin the fun sometimes."

What? Geez, gamers are hard to please.

I agree that some areas are not that big. But here's a thought: Stack your tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Much though I love FFG components, this is a game that would have benefitted from small wooden cubes for Corruption tokens.

I don't mind the size of the Corruption tokens, and I quite like the unique and distinct shapes. Mostly I think every region needs to be the size of Estalia or larger, and none should be long and thin. I don't actually follow the Warhammer world so I don't know if the map is limited by prior works, but blobbier round countries would have been a lot better than thin ones. And the water barriers can be confusing too.

But I don't care in the end because the game is just too good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:

My problem with them is less the size and more the fact that they blend into the busy board too much. I replaced mine with 15x4mm wooden discs (Agricola size, basically). 32 in each of 4 colours plus shipping from Germany cost about 15 euros.

Edit: I made a post with some pics and info for comparison: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5078850#5078850
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.