GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,497 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Magic Realm» Forums » Sessions

Subject: You're never safe in Magic Realm (Swordsman). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game to teach me to trust no one in Magic Realm and that you're always terribly vulnerable to death. This was a solo game.

I took Swordsman (basically the thief in most fantasy games), put almost all my goals in gold and great treasures. I buy an extra move phase pair of Boots with a Tremendous strength move from the Rogues for 10 gold and then head out into the wilderness. This is incredibly fortuitous as it lets me carry heavy treasures back to sell, though it renders me almost helpless while I do. Normally the Swordsman isn't big and strong enough to carry anything besides medium sized items and treasures. Moving out, I stumble upon the Dragon's Hoard in the nearby Deep Woods, get some great rolls and loot the shit out of it. I am intermittently forced to run away from the dragons guarding it but life is good because the Swordsman is so quick---except for Bats he doesn't really even have to hide. I get a ton of really valuable stuff worth hundreds of gold. The trick is that I have extremely heavy treasures, meaning that all my fast moves and fights are gone. I'm imagining the Swordsman sweating and straining to carry the huge items he has, barely getting back to civilization.

I head back to the Rogues and the Inn to sell all my loot, thinking I'm almost home free to the game. The Rogues love the Swordsmen so no worries there. I've just about accomplished all my goals in about 2 weeks. I have a Great Treasure and I just need to hire somebody to kill some goblins or something to get enough notoriety to win.

But Magic Realm, of course, hates you and intervenes. I get to the Inn unhidden and BOOM, the patrol appears on a Monster Roll of 3---the Patrol absolutely *hates* the Swordsman so right before I'm about to sell off all my really heavy crap they challenge me in combat. During this combat I have no ability to even move since I'm buried in treasure. They stab the the bejeezus out of me and cackle. I could have started a new character but I thought the game was perfect right there.

Love this game. Lesson learned: the Swordsman actually has probably one of the worst "friendship" matrices in the game. He hates the patrol, and the patrol can appear in any of three locations as well as a Campfire. That means that he has to be extremely wary at almost every dwelling at all times, even if whoever is already there loves him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Muñoz de la Peña
Spain
Seville
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each solo sessions report I read reminds me that I have to learn how to play this game...

Did you play on the PC or with a "real" game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmps wrote:
Each solo sessions report I read reminds me that I have to learn how to play this game...

Same here - and for me, it reminds me that "knowing the rules" doesn't necessarily mean "knowing how to play" I play on occasion, and I still don't really know what I'm doing half the time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the Swordsman is one of the hardest characters to win with in a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great, great game---one of my new 10s, actually. It'd actually be a pretty easy learn (IMHO) if you were just learning it from a friend. But learning it from a book has taken me multiple Realmspeak muddles while cross referencing the rulebook. I played and flailed about in Realmspeak until the program does something I don't understand... then I reference the rulebook to find out why something happened.

Nevertheless, this run through with Realmspeak (the last week or so) it finally clicked. Magic Realm is probably the most creative game of all time in my opinion. It really is amazing and worth all that work. I still haven't even broken into the magic rules.

As for the Swordsman, I agree with respect to the non-magic characters which I can't evaluate. He's hard because he's ideally suited to hiding, scurrying around and picking up gold and treasure and selling them for a gold win. But if you do that, he picks up things he can't carry or that slow him down and make him *really* vulnerable. Those big treasures are the treasures that give him a ton of money! He needs a horse or something to help him out.

That said, and I can't speak to this because I haven't played anything but solo, apparently the Swordsman is a master assassin of other players and a master thief of other player's hard earned gold. He can choose when he moves, so he can get into any hordes that other characters have finally opened and take all their hard earned loot.

edit: I played Realmspeak. I am going to make the Carthaginian version of the game this coming month. I have to, I love this game so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My solo Swordsman win (in Realmspeak) involved high fame light treasures. He saw that the Rogues had the Royal Sceptre and the Sacred Statue, two light treasures that didn't cost much, and gave bonuses when returned to the Guards and Order respectively. He tried to buy the Statue, but didn't have the cash, so he went wandering and found the Hoard in a cave on the next tile. He looted a bit before a Tremendous Flying Dragon and a Heavy Dragon showed up, then went back and traded for the Statue. A little traveling to get to the Order (dodging some Goblins) and he became Friendly with the Order and was able to hire O3. More travel back to the Hoard (avoiding the Goblins) and some lucky combat (he and O3 faced off against three pairs of the Tremendous Flying Dragon and a Heavy Dragon) and not moving, as he ended up with Golden Crown which he couldn't move and he won.

In a multi-character version (in Realmspeak), I eventually got an incredible Swordsman with the Belt of Strength and an H sword. Unfortunately, he got it too late to see what a T2** attack could do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

I think the Swordsman is one of the hardest characters to win with in a solo game.

There are a few characters in MR for whom I think it's difficult to form a strategy in solo play based on their unique characteristics, making them less satisfying to play in this format. Successes for them tend to revolve around lucky looting, which you could achieve with any character. The Swordsman and Wizard are the two that spring to mind, and possibly the Druid (although I'm aware that some players have successful strategies for playing him solo).

In multiplayer games, however, particularly cooperative play, these characters really find their feet.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeHa wrote:
In a multi-character version (in Realmspeak), I eventually got an incredible Swordsman with the Belt of Strength and an H sword. Unfortunately, he got it too late to see what a T2** attack could do.

!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Mallard
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
goshublue wrote:
Rubric wrote:

There are a few characters in MR for whom I think it's difficult to form a strategy in solo play based on their unique characteristics, making them less satisfying to play in this format. Successes for them tend to revolve around lucky looting, which you could achieve with any character. The Swordsman and Wizard are the two that spring to mind, and possibly the Druid (although I'm aware that some players have successful strategies for playing him solo).

In multiplayer games, however, particularly cooperative play, these characters really find their feet.

Brent.

The Swordsman can do very well in solo games. He's friendly with the Rogues, which is a huge asset. Hire 3 Rogues and you can always take the Patrol, Hire 4 Rogues and you can usually take the remainder of the Rogues (note: you need to know what you're doing to do this). Both courses of action give you very strong starts (and sometimes you can manage both ... wipe out the Patrol, use the loot from that conquest to hire enough Rogues to take RHQ and then loot the Inn!)

This works so well, that I'd actually rank him as one of the easier characters to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkWingDuck wrote:
The Swordsman can do very well in solo games. He's friendly with the Rogues, which is a huge asset. Hire 3 Rogues and you can always take the Patrol, Hire 4 Rogues and you can usually take the remainder of the Rogues (note: you need to know what you're doing to do this).

Nice. I'm often amazed at the devious strategies players come up with. Having the Swordsman attack the Rogues is one I probably would not have thought of, perhaps because I'm usually just not very treacherous!

But the more I think about it, attacking Rogues with Rogues isn't really that treacherous or even "gamey". It's just another of the Realm's little hidden back-stories. The Rogues must be hired singly, so they can be seen as a rather informal group of individuals, with an organization that's based more on fear or distrust of one another than on some sort of loyalty. In that case, it seems quite plausible for the Swordsman to recruit some of the lesser Rogues to take out the top dogs.

I think I would at least apply the Grudges and Gratitude optional rule though. Once the Swordsman has pulled off his little coup, he's the de facto top dog of the Rogues, and none of them trust him very much any more, or else they are plotting to overthrow him in turn.

Seems to me the Berserker could also pull off this strategy quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeHa wrote:

Let me tell about my Swordsman who had (no joke) the Lucky Charm, Belt of Strength, and the Bane Sword. An absolute killing and looting machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkWingDuck wrote:

Hire 3 Rogues and you can always take the Patrol, Hire 4 Rogues and you can usually take the remainder of the Rogues (note: you need to know what you're doing to do this).

........well there's my problem, right there

Seriously, though, this is nice. I fired up Realmspeak for the first time in months and gave this a couple of runs with success. Not entirely risk free or straight forward using Watchful Natives but nevertheless a solid strategy to build around the Swordsman's native relationships. The fact that the friendly Company may well turn up while you're waiting for the Patrol, and that selling them a herd of horses will make them very easy to hire, makes a potentially very strong platform for a big game.

Now can anyone prove me wrong about the Wizard?

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most early tournament play was heavily based on dump and pump strategies (sell to HQ, kill him, loot most back, repeat with next native group)

Enough so that treachery restrictions and watchful natives have become the norm for many games. Sadly this really handicapped Swordsman as he relied on the "hide, kill, and run" and seems to have found the least in alternatives to get around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
Now can anyone prove me wrong about the Wizard?

Brent.

Here's my solo victory with the Wizard.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/117649/wizard-session-re...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrb88 wrote:
goshublue wrote:
Now can anyone prove me wrong about the Wizard? :D

Brent.

Here's my solo victory with the Wizard.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/117649/wizard-session-re...

You use a similar strategy for the Druid, don't you Matt?

Poor Rogues.....whipping boys for everyone, even the Realm's losers.

I have too little experience with the Optional combat rules to judge. Do you think this strategy would be more diificult with them or the basic rules?

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Myers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I recently won by hiring 3 rogues, killing the Patrol (THEY started it!), then selling enough to hire a Rogue army including one Axeman. Then we went Monster and Treasure hunting, leaving the RHQ for later selling.

Though my favorite Swordsman win was when I was blasting tons of monsters with an artifact, Fiery Blast, and Dragon Essence in a game when the treasure sites were too far away from civilization to be worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.