GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: How many turns in a normal 4-player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been playing this, and loving it to death. I'm a little surprised at some of the tech care requirements however. Last night our first game ended before the last player even got a second turn, and our second game ended on the winner's 3rd turn.

Are we letting people win too easily or is it just really unlikely that you'll ever research a tech card that requires 7-8 ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We typically go a little more than once around the table. BUT -- and this is a big but -- I think my group is also way too generous with alliances and shared wins. What tends to happen is that a few quick alliances leads to the majority of players getting up to 3 colonies within 3-4 encounters (1-2 players' turns), then the players who are behind ally together to also get up to 3 colonies, all within one go around the table. Once we become more cut-throat, I imagine the game will go on a little longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Monkey
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, keep in mind that you can use a ship to research tech during each player's Regroup phase, not just your own Regroup phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Lesavoy
United States
West Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me but I thought it was at the start of each encounter you can research your tech. My games rarely go around the table more than twice but there's still definitely at least 8 encounters.

I've never played tech cards but I'm considering introducing them for the first time tonight possibly.

Ok, I went to FFG and dl'd the rules pdf and unless I'm misreading it what I said above is accurate:
Using Technology
At the start of any player’s Regroup Phase, before the offense
retrieves a ship from the warp, each player may research their
tech card, complete their tech card, or do nothing.

*Edited for typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thereofone wrote:
There is no normal game of Cosmic Encounter.

I was going to say, is there a "normal" 4 player game? CE varies so much

On average though, it seems like when I play a 4 player game I get 3 turns in. Though there are many games when I only get 1 turn, sometimes 0 turns, and sometimes 12+ turns. Not really sure there's a "normal" pattern here...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Guardian wrote:
Also, keep in mind that you can use a ship to research tech during each player's Regroup phase, not just your own Regroup phase.

Ah, there we go. Missed this big time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would say normal for us is 2-3 goes around, plus or minus one or two, with some lasting longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 6 player games though, especially if you do the 4 planet variant, it's pretty common for the 6th player to not have a turn at all before the game is won...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also going to say the "no normal game" thing. As a general rule, the more players, the fewer times around the game goes.

However, I recall one game many, many years ago, using the Mayfair edition, where the game went especially long. It wasn't a problem, because the game was intense and entertaining and absolutely hilarious throughout. I wish I remembered the aliens involved, but they were just well-balanced and everything just came together such that every time someone was on the verge of victory, something would prevent it. Even in the case of shared victories. It was the greatest game of CE ever! I would estimate the game went at least five rounds, and probably more. I don't remember who won, and it really doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, in our games, once we've past the 90 min mark, we get CE-Fatigue and most players are just "come on, get it over with!" Some players even ask the person with 4 bases to attack them, promising to play a Compromise just to end the game (though sometimes that backfires ).

One of the things we like about CE is we can get 3 or 4 games down in one night, and still play another game, so we like to see the variations of alien powers

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At a convention once in a 6 player game, the game ended before the 6th player even got his first turn. Everyone always invited everyone to ally on offense. Everyone allies on offense. The 5th player was playing the game for her first time and was one of those players who just didn't give a damn and asked to ally two players who had 4 bases when she only had three as she attacked the 6th player.

If you find games are too short, try playing with everyone having more than one power. Two powers per player makes for a longer game that feels Cosmic yet not too long. Three powers per player is Cosmic Chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I don't remember who won, and it really doesn't matter.

We had a 5 player game where four players reached 4 colonies before the fifth player started a turn.

Despite having no aliens that let you destroy colonies (no Will, Shadow, anything that could remove ships/colonies), we went around at least 6 more times, with everybody going for a shared win every time (there was a 3 player alliance and a 2 player alliance after the last guy got his fourth colony). It was bizarre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.