Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Auction Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't have any auction games. I don't think I've ever played any auction games, aside from Bridge. But auction games are undoubtably popular on BGG, with several on the top ten list. Should I pick one up? I've been looking at El Grande and Goa in particular.

As for my interests, I like Eurogames with a certain amount of theme, as opposed to the highly abstracted ones. Tigris and Euphrates has never really been a favorite. Complexity is OK, but I like a lot of player interaction. So what do you think I should consider?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Modern Art. Its inexpensive and contains a nice variety of types of auction. The rules are straightforward...and it draws you in. This is one of the favorites in our group...which includes a couple players that would probably describe themselves as not liking straight auction games.

Power Grid does have a nice auction mechanic, but it has a lot of other mechanics as well. I wouldn't really describe it as an 'auction' game...although it is a great game.

Princes of Florence is another fantastic game that has several auction phases combined with a lot of other cogs and wheels.

But in terms of deciding if an auction game can be the thing for you...I'd give Modern Art a whirl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
listen to cornjob . . .
It's a great start because it has 5 different kinds of auctions that all interact differently. With a few exceptions, most auction games can be equated to one of the types of auctions in Modern Art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants of Amsterdam has a unique auction mechanism.
But both Goa and El Grande are good games, so you could go with either one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Modern Art
but with a word of caution. It is a great game, with tons of theme - with the right group. If you have a group that will jump right into the auctions, it will be a hit. I have had this game bomb with groups that were less... gregarious

Funny accents, loud auctioneering, and a willingness to ham it up make this good game an excellent one.

Other suggestions:

High Society - a light card game

Ra - when it is reprinted (or Razzia! now) - a little light on theme but an EXCELLENT game

Industria (if you don't mind German text or doing paste-ups, you can get this cheap online)

Fifth Avenue - A paper thin theme, but a deep game with lots of tough decisions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Astley
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't Forget Medici
If you're wary of Auction games, try Medici!

The rules are so simple I often bring it out when newbies join our group. And of course, it's still a brilliant game with plenty of room for strategy, schemeing and screaming!

Just another classic by Reiner Knizia.

:-D avid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If theme is very important to you, pure auction games can be a problem. Games where the auction is only one of several mechanics, like Princes of Florence or Age of Steam, might be a better choice.

Of pure auction games, you are likely to enjoy two of my least favorite ones: Modern Art and Traumfabrik. Modern Art because you are playing the role of an art-dealer and thus it doesn't feel quite as mathematical as it is. And Traumfabrik has the nice touch that you are putting together movies and you are trying to get good actors, a good director, etc., and the realness of the people involved gives the game some flavor.

I don't know for a fact that Traumfabrik is currently in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Mele
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ra
Don't forget Ra, IMHO one of the very best auction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Wesley Chapel
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auction games
I don't own Modern Art but have it on my list to buy. I want to play that one first, even though it is on the Internet 100 and the BGG 100 lists.

I do own Amun-Re, Goa, El Grande, Doge, and Station Master -- all of which can be classified as "auction" or "bidding" games.

Of that group, my two favorites to play are Goa and Station Master. Don't get me wrong - all are fun, but these two play the best in my gaming group.

Station Master (Mayfair Games) is a quick, fun train game played with cards and bidding chips (known as passengers). The game plays well with small or large groups and plays quickly. It is an excellent filler game, and we've even enjoyed playing it as the only game over and over again for several hours. It is inexpensive and quick to learn, so it may serve as a good introduction to auction-type gaming.

Goa (Rio Grande) is a solid, strategic game that combines auctions with resource management. The key to winning at Goa seems to rely heavily on managing the multiple auctions that happen on each turn. I say "seems" because despite playing 10 games of Goa, I am still analyzing the best ways to win in my group. It is a game that is simple to play, has a good amount of interaction, and has a fun, interactive auction system. It is also a very nicely produced game with quality components and clear rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MA
I'll throw in another vote for Modern Art. If you're new to auction games, I think it's a great place to start. It's all auctions, all the time, but there are several different types so it never gets boring.
High Society and You're Bluffing are good lighter auction games too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Industria
All of the suggestions before me are great. I'm adding Industria simply because I love it and it's all auctions. Plus there's a lot of tension revolving around the auctioneer role and it's on sale for $10.95 at gamefest.com right now.

I've never played Modern Art but I've heard nothing but great things about it and I'm planning on playing Friday. Medici is so simple it's almost a joke but it's a really great game and it plays quickly. You can also teach it in about 60 seconds. Another of Knezia's that's fun is Traumfabrik. It revolves around casting movies and the thing I like about it is the person who wins an auction splits the money he pays for it with all the other players. This way nobody is ever really out of the game or poor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa is an excellent game, but I think the theme is rather thin.

I love Princes of Florence, but if you want a lot of player interaction, you may find the "action" phases seem like solitaire.

Power Grid has great bits and a good theme. It's more of a "game with auction mechanic" than an "auction game".

If you want a true "auction game", I agree that Modern Art is a great (and inexpensive) choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.