GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,844 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Buying games in New York rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
A friend of mine is going to New York and asked for sugestions for a FLGS in the city area.

Can anyone help?
Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/index.asp?PAGEACTION=CO...

at the base of the Empire state building. Have fun...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davidchujr wrote:
http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/index.asp?PAGEACTION=CO...

at the base of the Empire state building. Have fun...


Not quite. It's half a block down from the Empire State Building. (ESB is on 33rd-34th streets between 5th and 6th ave. The Compleat Strategist is on 33rd between 5th and Madison.)

I wouldn't really recommend it though. They set their prices a few bucks above retail and the employees can be rude and dismissive.

I would, however, highly recommend the bar across the street, Rattle n Hum, if you like a huge beer selection that changes every week.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bates

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
Quote:
They set their prices a few bucks above retail and the employees can be rude and dismissive.


Yeah, it's not a very welcoming place. Only game in town though, as far as I know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
soonertbone wrote:
Quote:
They set their prices a few bucks above retail and the employees can be rude and dismissive.


Yeah, it's not a very welcoming place. Only game in town though, as far as I know.



That's interesting. I definitely agree the prices are higher than I'd normally pay; but I've only had one experience where an employee was less than friendly - and that was well over a decade ago. For the most part, I'd consider them simply apathetic, but not really *rude*.

Then again, it's an impressive store to visit even if you don't buy anything (a lot of times, before BGG, I'd go there to look and determine what games I wanted to buy elsewhere).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
soonertbone wrote:
Quote:
They set their prices a few bucks above retail and the employees can be rude and dismissive.


Yeah, it's not a very welcoming place. Only game in town though, as far as I know.


For the most part, I'd consider them simply apathetic, but not really *rude*.


That's probably a more accurate assessment. They have the record-store-clerk pretentiousness going for them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Lemur wrote:
soonertbone wrote:
Quote:
They set their prices a few bucks above retail and the employees can be rude and dismissive.


Yeah, it's not a very welcoming place. Only game in town though, as far as I know.


For the most part, I'd consider them simply apathetic, but not really *rude*.


That's probably a more accurate assessment. They have the record-store-clerk pretentiousness going for them.



Good point - that's what I was thinking of. Except, a lot of record store clerks actually think they know what's good and what's not (and they're convinced that *you* have no clue). With the Strat, I tend to know more than the clerks - they know Settlers and maybe Carcassonne; and they know about whatever is the hot game; but they can't really offer any insights other than what may be selling. Most of the time, they just walk away (which, by NY standards is really nothing close to rude)

Then again, I could say that about most successful gamestores (the successful ones aren't run by "gamers" - they're run by business people).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
erak wrote:
Lemur wrote:
soonertbone wrote:
Quote:
They set their prices a few bucks above retail and the employees can be rude and dismissive.


Yeah, it's not a very welcoming place. Only game in town though, as far as I know.


For the most part, I'd consider them simply apathetic, but not really *rude*.


That's probably a more accurate assessment. They have the record-store-clerk pretentiousness going for them.



Good point - that's what I was thinking of. Except, a lot of record store clerks actually think they know what's good and what's not (and they're convinced that *you* have no clue). With the Strat, I tend to know more than the clerks - they know Settlers and maybe Carcassonne; and they know about whatever is the hot game; but they can't really offer any insights other than what may be selling. Most of the time, they just walk away (which, by NY standards is really nothing close to rude)

Then again, I could say that about most successful gamestores (the successful ones aren't run by "gamers" - they're run by business people).


Judging by their game nights, I assume they're mostly wargamers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Lemur wrote:
For the most part, I'd consider them simply apathetic, but not really *rude*.


That's probably a more accurate assessment. They have the record-store-clerk pretentiousness going for them.


Yeah, that's been my experience too. Although one time I asked them where I could buy a bunch of dice, and the woman at the counter pointed at the enormous wall of dice behind her without making me feel too much like an idiot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

Not only I get the store but a complete review, including price and what can I expect from the employees.

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
They set their prices a few bucks above retail

Buh? I believe their prices are generally at retail -- which looks admittedly poor when used to online shopping prices.

They have a 10%-off club which you can join. And members of the Chitkickers get 20% off on game day.

As for rude/dismissive staff, they are always nice to me, but then I engage them in conversation from time to time. Their game knowledge is spotty, but since they carry wargames, euros, family games, minis, RPG stuff (all of it in amazing depth and breadth) it might be too much to expect them to know all about everything.

It's not the best store around, but it has its strengths to offset its weaknesses. And unfortunately there is almost no competition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the notes above...

Prices are at retail, which means that I'll only buy the odd card game there... but as soon as we talk about $30 or more, I go online.

Competition:

The Forbidden Planet (13th and Broadway) has some games upstairs, also @ retail + CCG singles. They are primarily a comic shop, but I enjoy going to this store more than the strat, although the strat does have a better selection by far.

There's also Kings Games in brooklyn, but they primarily focus on CCGs and have a light table top presence.

There's a small games workshop store near NYU (~8th st and Broadway), but obviously their product line is very specific.

Finally, i just heard about a new shop that opened up in Williamsburg, but apparently they are closing again tomorrow temporarily: http://twentysidedstore.com/

It is disappointing that for the greatest city in the world, we are light on gaming stores.

If they are looking to buy games, then i have to recommend going online. If you're looking to play, then I'd recommend one of the many board game meetup groups on meetup.com. There are probably 3 gaming events / week between the 2 or 3 groups.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the prices at the Strategist are MSRP, plain and simple.

I used to think the staff was a little cold, but honestly that worked for me. When I had a question, they answered it. When I wanted something preordered, they got it for me.

As far as not being knowledgeable, the guys I talk to there seem to know their stuff. They might not be here on the Geek 24/7, but if I ask for something new, they can tell me what the story is. If I ask after something out of print, they can tell me the chances of getting it. It's been very rare that I'll ask for something by name and they won't know what I'm talking about.

As far as recommendations, well, I've listened to them offer up suggestions a handful of times and what I usually hear is that the person asking for help is usually new to eurogames. "I've played Catan and want to try something else" is the usual request. "Check out Carcassonne" is not a bad response to that, really. When someone comes in looking for a "dungeon game", they'll make appropriate suggestions.

Is it the best store ever? Of course not. But if you're in New York looking to pick something up and don't mind paying MSRP, it'll do the trick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
It is disappointing that for the greatest city in the world, we are light on gaming stores.


It wasn't that long ago that there were *three* Compleat Strategists in the City alone.

(Or maybe it was that long ago, and I'm getting that old. . . )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph McDonough
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I went into the store once and asked the clerk if they had For Sale. He seriously replied, "All our games are for sale."I told them I meant the Board game For Sale.The Abbot and Costello game store. They dohave some games in the back at %50 off.
If I were your friend I would explore some of the thrift shops in the NY area. Sometimes you get lucky.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never have a problem at the store, having shop there for over the last 20 years. I paid a visit ever time I am in the city. I have been able to find some interesting OOP stuff on their shelf every so often. The staff is pretty much typical New Yorker small retail people and act as such (try shopping on canal street).
They do have a small clearance section in the back if you are looking some deals.

That said, if there is anything you REALLY REALLY want, order it from COOLSTUFFINC.COM and have it ship to the hotel. The free shipping kicks in with a $100 order. I just got my Stronghold order a day and a half after I order, but then again, I am in the same state as they are (Florida).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigspoon816 wrote:
I went into the store once and asked the clerk if they had For Sale. He seriously replied, "All our games are for sale."I told them I meant the Board game For Sale.The Abbot and Costello game store. They dohave some games in the back at %50 off.
If I were your friend I would explore some of the thrift shops in the NY area. Sometimes you get lucky.


Reminds me of a time in Austin.
A friend so us this new card game and I enjoyed it a lot, easy to play and easy to teach. So I went in to a comic/game store across the street from UT. Found the clerk behind the counter, ask him for Lunch Money. He looked me up and down and said 'I can't give you any lunch money!'.
Took me a minute to figure out he had no idea what I was asking for and we had a good laugh afterwards before he found the game behind the register.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in Newark last winter for business so I took the train into the City and went to the Strategist. I found they had a great selection, while it was 'mostly' MRSP, I find that true for 'most' FLGS I've visited (I do that while traveling).

Yes, the clerk was indifferent, but I had a nice conversation with another shopper that was looking for some games.

Ultimately, I found Jamaica for 50% off. It was a game that I had wanted to get, but I hadn't been willing to pay for it even at the typical 25-30% discount on-line. So, I was happy to find it at a price I was willing to pay.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.