GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,534 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Haggis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tournament play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in my review I wrote:

Timotheous wrote:
The other rule I have an issue with is the difference between casual play and tournament play in how you give away the bombed tricks. I can understand in some games, you may want some subtle differences, where, for example, the designer thinks it's perfectly acceptable to have a tie in casual play, but respects the need to differentiate in a tournament, but this rule difference changes the dynamic of the game quite significantly. In the casual play rules, I make the decision about who I give the trick to after playing the bomb, most likely based on my perception of their current score and how well they are doing in this trick. In tournament play, knowing who would get the points (unless overbombed) may affect my decision on whether or not to bomb at all. Additionally, I may bomb specifically in the hope that an opponent will over bomb it in order to be the recipient of those points. I suppose I don't see the need for the difference, and more than likely I'll play by tournament rules so that should I ever be in a tournament, I'll already be familiar with the dynamic.

I don't mind either way of playing - I think each presents its own interesting decisions. I'm just curious why Sean didn't stick with one, but instead intended one for casual play and the other for tournament play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
I don't mind either way of playing - I think each presents its own interesting decisions. I'm just curious why Sean didn't stick with one, but instead intended one for casual play and the other for tournament play.
That's a long discussion I'd really prefer not to revisit. If you'd like to discuss it privately, we can do that. For now, let's just say it was a compromise between the publisher and myself on how we would like the game to be played.

While I'm here, though, I would like to address a somewhat related point: "Tournament" may be a bit of a misnomer in the rules. It suggests that when played in a tournament, Haggis should be played with 3 players. Actually, given my preferences, I'd recommend it be played as 2 player games in a tournament setting. I just think that would work best.

I'm not sure what a better term would be instead of "tournament"; perhaps "formal" or "strict"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:
I'm not sure what a better term would be instead of "tournament"; perhaps "formal" or "strict"?

I think it should be called BS Haggis. The BS standing for Burns Supper, where Haggis is served. The Scotch whisky and poetry reading is optional, but would make for more interesting games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.