GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,698 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,,

2 days ago, I posted a few questions after reading the rules. Well today I finally played it along with the rules to get a hang of the game, but had several issues that I needed help on. Requesting your thoughts on the same:

- Suppose my culture track is on 2, science on 3- at the end of my turn I get 2 culture points (top most track surrounding the board) and 3 science points (the science track above the 3 indicator tracks, right?

- When I finish constructing a Wonder, in this case- Taj Mahal, it has a 3 culture point symbol at the bottom left corner- Now is this the points that I get one time in the game or do I move th3 culture track by 3, which means I get 3 points after every turn? Similar doubt with Alchemy as well, do I move 2 points on the indicator track or do I get 2 science points after every turn

- I played with 2 Civilizations to do things differently and had Michelangelo as the leader for one of the civilizations- On the card is the text -"Your temples, theaters....and wonders produce an extra 1 culture point for each of their happy faces"- What does this exactly mean. I had 2 temples and the Taj Mahal- so what happens now, do I score 4 culture points for the 2 temples as each temple has 1 so 2 points for 2 temples and 2 extra for the 2 every turn is it?

- Most of the gray technology cards like Drama, Printing Press have a culture point symbol and/or a science point symbol or a ....do I have to make appropriate changes on the indicator track so that I score these respectively each round or these are one time effects once I build the technology

- What happens if I run out of the event cards (simple game) and the game is still not over?

- One of the event cards from "A" says you can build a Age A temple for free is you have a free worker. I'm assuming that it can be done only if you are under the building limit, right?

- I played it with 2 colors, Purple and Green and ended with scores of Purple-49 and Green-46. What are the normal scores for the simple game, as I'm yet to learn the advanced game.And how much time does it take for a simple game to complete?

I know most questions are basic, but as I have no one else to ask nearby and hence have to ask you guys.

Thanks for your help,
Madhu

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Hi All,,

2 days ago, I posted a few questions after reading the rules. Well today I finally played it along with the rules to get a hang of the game, but had several issues that I needed help on. Requesting your thoughts on the same:

- Suppose my culture track is on 2, science on 3- at the end of my turn I get 2 culture points (top most track surrounding the board) and 3 science points (the science track above the 3 indicator tracks, right?


Yes.

Quote:
- When I finish constructing a Wonder, in this case- Taj Mahal, it has a 3 culture point symbol at the bottom left corner- Now is this the points that I get one time in the game or do I move th3 culture track by 3, which means I get 3 points after every turn? Similar doubt with Alchemy as well, do I move 2 points on the indicator track or do I get 2 science points after every turn


The Taj Mahal gives you 3 culture per turn. Alchemy earns you science every turn.

Quote:
- I played with 2 Civilizations to do things differently and had Michelangelo as the leader for one of the civilizations- On the card is the text -"Your temples, theaters....and wonders produce an extra 1 culture point for each of their happy faces"- What does this exactly mean. I had 2 temples and the Taj Mahal- so what happens now, do I score 4 culture points for the 2 temples as each temple has 1 so 2 points for 2 temples and 2 extra for the 2 every turn is it?


Right you get one culure normally and Miki give you one extra for the one happy face.

Quote:
- Most of the gray technology cards like Drama, Printing Press have a culture point symbol and/or a science point symbol or a ....do I have to make appropriate changes on the indicator track so that I score these respectively each round or these are one time effects once I build the technology


The symbols at the bottom of the card are what you earn each turn.

Quote:
- What happens if I run out of the event cards (simple game) and the game is still not over?


I believe the game ends when the card run out but I haven't played the simple game in forever so I'm not sure.

Quote:
- One of the event cards from "A" says you can build a Age A temple for free is you have a free worker. I'm assuming that it can be done only if you are under the building limit, right?


Correct.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Most of the gray technology cards like Drama, Printing Press have a culture point symbol and/or a science point symbol or a ....do I have to make appropriate changes on the indicator track so that I score these respectively each round or these are one time effects once I build the technology


When culture or science amounts are printed on the bottom of a card (whether it's a technology, a leader, or a wonder), it means you add them to your per-turn totals. If you find them in the middle of a card (as you will with certain territories), it's a one-time bonus.

Quote:
One of the event cards from "A" says you can build a Age A temple for free is you have a free worker. I'm assuming that it can be done only if you are under the building limit, right?


Yes, but if you have two temples already by the time this card comes out, you're probably doing something wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
- Most of the gray technology cards like Drama, Printing Press have a culture point symbol and/or a science point symbol or a ....do I have to make appropriate changes on the indicator track so that I score these respectively each round or these are one time effects once I build the technology


I'm not sure whether you already understand this, but the grey (and brown and red) technology cards don't function without buildings on them. You adjust your culture per turn and science per turn each time a building is created or destroyed. (Note that the yellow tokens are workers when you spend food to get them out of your yellow bank, but they become buildings when you spend resources to put them onto a technology card. If a building is destroyed the workers are still alive, which is why they go back to your worker pool.)

madhujith wrote:
- What happens if I run out of the event cards (simple game) and the game is still not over?


If you run out of military cards, you shuffle the discard pile and start drawing from it again. Note that events can never happen twice; after an event happens it should be left on the Past Events spot instead of putting it in the discard pile.

madhujith wrote:
- I played it with 2 colors, Purple and Green and ended with scores of Purple-49 and Green-46. What are the normal scores for the simple game, as I'm yet to learn the advanced game.And how much time does it take for a simple game to complete?


Once people have learned the game they usually only play the full game. Around here winning scores are usually between 150 and 200 or so, but it varies a lot depending on how much effort the players spend on building up their military instead of building things that produce culture directly. With experienced players the game usually takes about an hour per player.

madhujith wrote:
I know most questions are basic, but as I have no one else to ask nearby and hence have to ask you guys.


It's no problem. Through the Ages is pretty difficult to learn from the rulebook.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
madhujith wrote:
Most of the gray technology cards like Drama, Printing Press have a culture point symbol and/or a science point symbol or a ....do I have to make appropriate changes on the indicator track so that I score these respectively each round or these are one time effects once I build the technology


When culture or science amounts are printed on the bottom of a card (whether it's a technology, a leader, or a wonder), it means you add them to your per-turn totals. If you find them in the middle of a card (as you will with certain territories), it's a one-time bonus.

Quote:
One of the event cards from "A" says you can build a Age A temple for free is you have a free worker. I'm assuming that it can be done only if you are under the building limit, right?


Yes, but if you have two temples already by the time this card comes out, you're probably doing something wrong.


Well, this is what happened....I had built 2 temples with the resources that I had stacked up over 3 turns post which this event card came up. Where did I mess it up? soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Fortuna wrote:
madhujith wrote:
Most of the gray technology cards like Drama, Printing Press have a culture point symbol and/or a science point symbol or a ....do I have to make appropriate changes on the indicator track so that I score these respectively each round or these are one time effects once I build the technology


When culture or science amounts are printed on the bottom of a card (whether it's a technology, a leader, or a wonder), it means you add them to your per-turn totals. If you find them in the middle of a card (as you will with certain territories), it's a one-time bonus.

Quote:
One of the event cards from "A" says you can build a Age A temple for free is you have a free worker. I'm assuming that it can be done only if you are under the building limit, right?


Yes, but if you have two temples already by the time this card comes out, you're probably doing something wrong.


Well, this is what happened....I had built 2 temples with the resources that I had stacked up over 3 turns post which this event card came up. Where did I mess it up? soblue


The point is that building two temples that early is usually a strategic mistake. The dribble of culture that temples provide is almost meaningless*, so if you're building them, it's probably for the happy faces. Two temples means two happy faces - and to need two happy faces, you need six workers in play beyond what you start with. Unless Moses is your leader, that's very unlikely to happen before Development Of Religion is triggered.

*This may not apply to the Simple Game; I have only ever played the Full Game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Well, this is what happened....I had built 2 temples with the resources that I had stacked up over 3 turns post which this event card came up. Where did I mess it up? soblue


As Jack said, it might have been just a strategic error on your part. But since you're brand new to the game, I'm also considering the possibility that your perceived need for two temples so early might stem from a misunderstanding of the Happiness mechanism, or from a chain of reasoning stemming from another misunderstanding that's not obviously related.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are spot on Sir! Come to think of it, I'm slowly beginning to realize what you guys are saying, guess I need a couple of more plays to understand the dynamics of action much better.

Thanks so much though for guiding me through.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
You are spot on Sir! Come to think of it, I'm slowly beginning to realize what you guys are saying, guess I need a couple of more plays to understand the dynamics of action much better.

Thanks so much though for guiding me through.


No problem. That's one of the main reasons for these forums to exist.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.