Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Lesavoy
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Morning All,

I'm considering picking up a horse racing game.I'm looking for something that would be good in a relatively active / boisterous beer and pretzels type atmosphere. Preferably something that gets people cheering and even more active / boisterous. At the same time I'm not looking for a game so shallow that it takes no thought at all...

Basically, if there's something out there that's almost a party game, but could still be fun when played completely seriously, that's the game I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game
Horse Fever
Long Shot
And two heavier games:
Win, Place & Show
TurfMaster

EDIT: There is also a comparatively complicated, but very violent and very fun game that you should consider if you will be playing with wargamers: Circus Maximus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
2019 unique titles | 2019 total plays
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Long Shot and Winner's Circle have the potential to meet your requirements. I've been in atmospheres where both of these games have been loads of fun and I've been in situations where both of these games are just mediocre. As with just about anything, it depends a lot on the group of people and their state of mind. However, both of these games can be played in a party atmosphere and I'd say Winner's Circle has a bit more potential to be thinky. There seems to be more back and forth in Long Shot which can make it more like real horse racing.

Both are fun games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Lesavoy
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all, I'm not married to the horse racing theme. I will be looking into Ave Ceasar and Hare & Tortoise.Long Shot was the one that's been the highest on my radar and I noticed there's a number of video reviews I'll have to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Longshot. Very fun beer & pretzels horseracing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer&Pretzels is a great name for a horse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
La Grosse Boite
France
La Rochelle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me add the excelent Huuue! to the list.
Involves betting and race management with a clever mechanic, i recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carson
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the votes for Long Shot. I too have played loud boisterous games with 5-8 people, and more strategic slower games with 2. I didn't think those slower games were mediocre, just different. I think with more people the likelihood of being a more energetic crowd increases, esp. if you get one person to instigate that.
The only disadvantage to the larger games is that there's a good bit of downtime between turns, but the game can move pretty fast since you can plan your next turn between those turns. Plus you can cheer and boo the various horses and keep an eye open to see if you get to use a Lucky Numba card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple of "kids" racing games with some neat bits of strategy to them: Viva Topo! (about mice) and Giro Galoppo (actually features horses). They might be too lightweight, though, unless the consumption of beer significantly outstrips that of pretzels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Ruesch
United States
Murray
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stretch Run

This may not be as difficult as you would like, but the pieces and board (just make sure you get the wood board), are frickin fantastic! Definately fits in a beer and prezels atmosphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Maxwell
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Another vote for Longshot. Very fun beer & pretzels horseracing game.

I agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls