GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

God's Playground» Forums » General

Subject: How does this game compare with After the Flood rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious if anyone who has played both AtF and God's Playground could compare the gameplay of the two games. Is one easier to teach? Quicker to play? Replayability? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Falcons wrote:
I am curious if anyone who has played both AtF and God's Playground could compare the gameplay of the two games. Is one easier to teach? Quicker to play? Replayability? Thanks.

Like apples and oranges ;-)

I would say both are comparable in terms of how difficult is to teach one or another. God's Playground, in my opinion, enjoys better replayability as the gameplay depends on players themselves rather than on strict, well defined set of rules. I would say GP is more flexible, from the lack of better term.

On the other hand, there are some similar mechanisms in both, procedural nature of the gameplay (i.e. distinct phases played in a sequence) is one of most profound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my limited experience, I'd characterise them as follows (note that this is more how they feel to me rather than necessarily being the 'truth').

GP: Ameritrash in Euro clothing - dice rolling for combat combined with blind bidding and a procedural turn order sequence made up of phases of (almost) Die Macher length.

AtF: Resource production/conversion that for some reason reminds me of Caylus coupled with a game of territorial control.

I've enjoyed them both, but they don't really feel similar at all (other than both being three-player only, unless you get the Polish version of GP).

Regarding teaching, I would give the nod to AtF being easier to teach/learn - we've played GP three times now, same three players who have all read the rules individually, and we still come across questions about gameplay.

As for which one is best/having more replayability I don't know, but currently I prefer GP (that said I do want to play AtF again soon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.