GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Question about sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 50 packs of Mayday mini USA sleeves from Tanga (they only sent me 40 and am very disappointed they still have not replied to my email, but that's another story), thinking they would fit all my FFG small card sizes but I found all of the cards stick out the top up to 2 mm or so, about 1 mm on average. This includes the World of Warcraft games even though the advertisement states they should fit. I read the warning on Mayday's site that they would not fit games like Arkham Horror and Talisman but all the cards are the same size as the Warcrafts, i.e. they all stick out about 1 mm. I'm very anal about keeping my cards in pristine condition and wonder if this will be a problem? Will the tops become damaged over time and did I just waste my money on all those sleeves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:
Will the tops become damaged over time and did I just waste my money on all those sleeves?

Over time any part of the card that is exposed will show wear on the ink and card stock.

Depending on how much you actually play these games, it may or may not be a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was afraid of. That's $58 down the drain. I'm pretty pissed that Mayday advertised these as fitting the games mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mini chimara sleeves would probably be your best bet. They are a bit bigger, both in width and height. I sleeve all of my cards as well. I look at games as an investment, and want to keep them in as good as shape as possible.

Seth from Mayday Games has always been more than helpful with any issues Ive had in the past. Try sending him a geek mail on here or emailing him through his website.

Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought from Tanga, not Mayday Games. Do you think Seth would still help me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what 'all' games you have, but Mayday does advertise the Chimera size as being needed for a bunch of the FF games.

That really sucks though. (There was a pretty long discussion about fitting some games on that Tanga thread, too. . . )

Definitely research sleeves. I wouldn't be surprised if FFG made some of their newer cards just a little bit bigger than, say, TI3 (which fits perfectly into the small usa ones) just to mess with Mayday, since FFG has their own line of sleeves.

I wouldn't write it all off as wasted, though. First of all, if Mayday actually advertised them as fitting those games, they might accept a return for the correct sizes. Also, you could just try to sell/trade them away to other people. You might take a little bit of a loss, but it might not be all the money down the drain.

Contact Mayday games and see what they say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:

I think Tanga orders for sleeves might actually just ship from Mayday, sometimes. They're pretty close buddies from what I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:

Seth has always been great to do business with. I only buy sleeves from him directly because of it. Unless its changed recently, hes a one man show, and I think that shows in how he runs the business. Let him know whats up, and see what he can do for you.

As far as his list showing what sleeves fit what games, most of those come from information given by others. He may not actually own the games that you have a problem with, and base his suggestion as to which sleeve to use on anothers word. That other user might not be concerned with the card sticking out, and told him that the mini USA are the ones you need. I definately wouldnt want to use a sleeve that let the card stick out, but someone else might not mind so much. When you describe your problem, Im sure he will change the recommendation on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't fit Twilight Imperium either. Maybe FFG changed the size in later print runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Email FFG, maybe they can give you an exact dimension of the cards, or let you know if they have changed the size between printings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This page shows the Fantasy Flight sleeves that go to their games. I've used the FFG sleeves extensively and have been very happy with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a copy of the email I'm sending FFG:

I recently purchased 50 packs of Mayday mini USA game card sleeves and none of them fit the small cards in any of my FFG games like World of Warcraft, Talisman, Twilight Imperium, etc. All of the cards stick out the tops of the sleeves about 1 mm or so. FFG advertises their own mini USA sleeves as well and they are beyond my budget (I own almost every FF game and it would cost way too much to sleeve all of them with FFG sleeves). There have been reports of the Mayday sleeves fitting some games such as Twilight Imperium and the World of Warcraft games but they don't in my copies. As far as I can tell all the small cards are the same size in all my games. Has FFG changed the size of their small cards so that they do not fit Mayday USA sleeves anymore? Or maybe the reports are from people who don't care if the cards stick out a little bit? What is going on here? What are the exact dimensions of the small cards? Can you recommend any budget sleeves that do in fact fit? Any help appreciated.

Here is the reply:

We work very hard to maintain the same size of cards over the years -
even small things like the way a corner is rounded can cause
'expansion' cards to not work with the printings from a main game
set... so, no there have not been any changes in our card sizes
recently. The few changes there have been *(1st printing Warrior
Knights, verses the later ones) involved QUITE a bit of work on our
part to cover requests for matching cards, so we do our best to avoid
it.

Unfortunately the only sleeves I can reliably trouble shoot is our own
product line. The Mini-American card sleeves (Twilight Imperium) are
41mm x 63mm (I just checked and it fits those cards well) - the Mini
Euro sleeves (Wings of War) is slightly longer at 44mm x 68mm.

It's possible the Mayday sleeves are not up to specifications.
Unfortunately I don't have any contact with the Mayday company staff.
You might want to contact them, perhaps with pictures of the card in
sleeve? A sleeve where the the cards do not fully fit in the card
sleeve is NOT a good fit - the only way it is 'acceptable' (but not
preferable) to have a margin of error is too big, perhaps having to be
trimmed down...

Hope this information helps,

Thaadd Powell
Customer Service
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm that is weird, because I definitely have TI sleeved up in the usa mini sleeves. I did buy it back in '05, though.

:/

Now I'm worried about all the extra's I bought for the expansion (though not really, since I have a pile of extra Chimera one's coming in the mail too . . . )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really confused now because the FFG American sleeves are advertised as having the same dimensions as the Mayday mini USA sleeves but the former DO fit as shown in the picture on FFG Website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had a similar issue with Zombie State. A couple of users said that the cards were Standard USA (56mm x 87mm), and after I ordered sleeves, the cards wouldnt fit. I got a digital caliper and measured the cards, and there are 57mm x 87.5mm. I suppose thats what I get for not measuring them before ordering. I would get the mini Chimara sleeves, they should be exactly what you need.

And leave it to Thaadd to get back to you so quickly. Shes a great person to have this hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:
I really confused now because the FFG American sleeves are advertised as having the same dimensions as the Mayday mini USA sleeves but the former DO fit as shown in the picture on FFG Website.

Perhaps FF has their sleeves cut generously. Thaadd did mention prefering to err on the large side. Did you try sleeves from a lot of different packs that you received?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
My Mayday US Mini sleeves fit great with the TI3 game and the expansion; I got TI3 in 2006 and the expansion later that year. Haven't had any problems.

I also didn't have any problems with Mayday's sleeves with my World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game or Runewars, either.

One thing that does sound weird is you said you bought 50-packs of the US Mini Sleeves. I didn't think Mayday sold them in 50 packs; I was only aware of 100 packs. The fact that you are buying from Tanga and only in 50-packs makes me wonder if Tanga is reselling sleeves in smaller quantities, and maybe even getting the sizes mixed up? Or reselling bad batches of the sleeves or something.

My experience with Mayday has been phenomenal. A few months ago, I ordered some US Standard sized sleeves for Runewars, thinking they would be the right size. They ended up not be; turns out, Runewars needs the Chimera sleeves. As Runewars was still very new at the time, I wasn't to hard on the problem, but let Seth know; he offered to exchange the standard sleeves for Chimera sleeves, so I just sent 'em back and got the right size in return.

I'm not 100% sure what the situation is in this case, but something just doesn't seem right about it.

(FWIW - I love FFG and their games, but vastly prefer Mayday's sleeves. Mayday's sleeves are cheaper and in higher quantity. I haven't tried FFG's yet to compare, but having to pay more money for half the sleeves is a bit of a turn-off for me).

EDIT: I just looked at Mayday's site, and it looks like they now carry "Premium" thickness sleeves that do come in 50-packs; I haven't tried those myself, only the standard thickness sleeves. Maybe there is a problem with them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I said I ordered 50 packs I meant 50 packs of 100, not 50 sleeves in a pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:
When I said I ordered 50 packs I meant 50 packs of 100, not 50 sleeves in a pack.

Ah. Well, in that case, if you did only get 40, that sounds like Tanga may have shorted you; even if they get stuff shipped from Mayday directly, the person you order from should be responsible for getting the full quantity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
One thing that does sound weird is you said you bought 50-packs of the US Mini Sleeves. I didn't think Mayday sold them in 50 packs; I was only aware of 100 packs. The fact that you are buying from Tanga and only in 50-packs makes me wonder if Tanga is reselling sleeves in smaller quantities, and maybe even getting the sizes mixed up? Or reselling bad batches of the sleeves or something.

I think he meant that he bought 50 individual packs. Thats how it reads to me, but I could be wrong! Also, their premium sleeves, which are thicker, do come in 50 packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mayday Mini USA sleeves fit my Talisman game and all expansions just fine. There are a few that are too tight, so I just throw those out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BosonMichael wrote:
The Mayday Mini USA sleeves fit my Talisman game and all expansions just fine. There are a few that are too tight, so I just throw those out.

Very strange because my Talisman cards stick out a mm or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Talisman cards are mini Chimara. I sleeved my Talisman cards in them, and they are a perfect fit. In fact, the insert in the pack even lists Talisman on it.

http://maydaygames.com/index.php/gaming-accessories/sleeves/...

Double click on the photo of the pack. Its near the bottom of the text on the pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of this before, Mayday sleeves not fitting the mentioned sized cards by FFG. FFG's Mini American are listed for the same size cards as Mayday's Mini USA (41x63mm). IIRC, the actual card size is 42x64mm , but FFG's sleeves fit them, as do the ones I use, Arcane Tinmen 41x63 sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping Tanga will replace the USA minis with chimeras. I'm waiting to hear from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.