• [+] Dice rolls
Mike Shapiro
United States
Coralville
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Best review on BGG. Raw unmitigated awesomeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
If Ronald Reagan was alive, he'd be crying red, white, and blue tears of gratitude.

In the future please refer all questions or comments to David desJardins
(DaviddesJ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael G.
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:

5) Cards with names like "The Iron Lady" that has nothing to do with robots or cyborgs, or anything even remotely cool.

I cried on this one laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thread necromancy.

Just as good a read today as it was back in 2010.

Is it true that over the past couple of years Matteo and DaviddesJ patched up their differences and now co-own a successful interior design business in Baton Rouge and will soon finalising their adoption of a Liberian orphan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Linder
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really not know that communists killed nearly one hundred million human beings in the 20th century? I can only hope that this "review" and its zany jokes are a product of astounding historical ignorance. The alternative is far, far worse.

I invite you to explore some major sources on the topic in more depth.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Book-Communism-Repression/dp...#

http://www.amazon.com/Gulag-Archipelago-Abridged-Experiment-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlinder wrote:
Do you really not know that communists killed nearly one hundred million human beings in the 20th century? I can only hope that this "review" and its zany jokes are a product of astounding historical ignorance. The alternative is far, far worse.

I invite you to explore some major sources on the topic in more depth.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Book-Communism-Repression/dp...#

http://www.amazon.com/Gulag-Archipelago-Abridged-Experiment-...

Um . . . um . . . um . . . I don't even know how to respond to this. Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Stimson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great day to once again raise this wonderful patriotic review from the dead though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't seen this before -- hilarious! I just wish the OP had been edited with some helpful advice:
You might want to skip the drivel/flame war on pages 2-4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
I hadn't seen this before -- hilarious! I just wish the OP had been edited with some helpful advice:
You might want to skip the drivel/flame war on pages 2-4

That's the best bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandt Boulden
United States
Bethel
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I'm right because I'm RIGHT!
badge
Christian Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh So funny! I loved your review and the humor. Some people just don't get satireshake. The only people that would be offended by your review are hippies and commies and liberals. In other words, people that should be nuked or run over by tanks anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:
I am embarrassed to say that I read all of these comments from beginning to end. Still, it was worth it. I am now more intelligent.

I just have to respond to make this thread even longer. It is just too hard to read through all of that and not get my own 2 cents in. I also know now that I am supposed to be funny so people will keep debating but instead I will make a comment about psychology.

When reading the original post (OP for short), many people don't realize it is a joke. They are reading the OP because they like Twilight STruggle, and are, therefore, getting upset that someone could be so harsh, and often for such ridiculous reasons. They are 'offended' for lack of a better word because someone is criticizing something that they have attached their identity to.

Later, when they realize it was all a joke, the reaction is even worse. Now they are defensive about a) not getting the joke b) about their initial reaction and c) their embarrassment over not being 'smart' enough to get the joke (a subtle distinction from a but an important one - exclusion hurts). They cannot process all of these emotions, so they lash out, over and over again. they project their emotions onto the author and feel they have caused these emotions.

Lastly, does this post help alleviate the hurt, educate the masses, bring light to the darkness, or, does it just poke the bear. Sorry to say it just pokes the bear.

But hey, that is just one man's opinion, and apparently that is enough to rigorously defend my right to spew it forth in all my juvenile wantonness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, thanks. And "hello" from Bartlett.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utterly brilliant - reading it from your perspective as a computer/console gamer - especially if you have played DEFCON on Steam where winning IS nuking everyone to oblivion ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Nuclear holocaust is a small price to pay to make America GREAT AGAIN!

Clearly this review has been vindicated, as it has foretold the coming of our savior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:
I am embarrassed to say that I read all of these comments from beginning to end. Still, it was worth it. I am now more intelligent.

The number of similar threads I have read over the years on BGG (surprisingly not all involving David...J) must qualify me as a super genius by now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert "Smitty" Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed a pleasant diversion from reading another group of crappy graduate papers...
Thanks!

Smitty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a b
msg tools
mateooo wrote:

2) Fictional account of the Cold War which is incorrectly portrayed as a morally ambiguous conflict between superpowers when in fact it was a righteous battle between the Chaotic good Americans against the Lawful Evil Soviets.

There I fixed it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Revealing your commie red blood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Parsons
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody asked if Matt and David des J were really roommates. I suspect they weren't, but it's interesting that Matt never revealed the identity of the gaming friend with whom he enjoyed so many 'conflicts', as described right at the start of the OP.

But sadly any humour in this thread was destroyed for me by the mention of - and I quote - "I love the Monty Python Dead Pirate Sketch".

Give that man some "pieces of eight" and nail him to the plank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
Very excited that Transformers Risk is real!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dawson
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Great review. I think your average American would prefer 1980's AIDS to playing against Russia in the early war in this game

Basically the 'balance' in this game is some games as US you don't get royally screwed over early war and can actually win later on. Or the russians blow themselves up

Generally you're better off nuking Panama out of spite at Defcon 2 on Turn 1 after the Russian takes it off you and saving yourself hours of pointless tile placing/removing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Wokingham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Review was quite funny.

The reviewer having an multi-megapost meltdown because someone didn't find it funny, was a lot funnier though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fifer
msg tools
A superbly witty ironic rant. Worthy of the just departed Jeremy Hardy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Perez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discovered this - -
 Thumb up