Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: sigmoid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The time for boardgames this year is at an end. GTA: San Andreas, DOOM 3, Dawn of War, Halflife 2 and for you REAL nerds: Worlds of Warcraft. I go over to my friends haus and can barely peel people away from WATCHING someone play GTA, let alone the person bogarting the playstation. It seems every other year is very good for computer games, and this year's number is up.

House on the hill is good fun, and very short. Not like a long drawn out nightmare that talisman can be at times. Collosal Arena is an absolute gem. My love for Catan abruptly ended during the last, very, very boring session. Sometimes you're on fire in that game, sometimes you're simply waiting for either the robber to come up or a 12 or 2.

In the pipeline of games I have either picked up or rustled out of storage that will NOT be played at least until people are off Halflife (MMORPG dorks are gone for good this winter): Republic of Rome, Twilight Imperium, Advanced Heroquest. I know the big pare down of the collection is coming fast and some games I loved in college just can't cut it (talisman) and some that I hated I now love (Cosmic Encounter) and some were just bad purchases (Twilight Imperium, Game of Thrones, Age of Mythology).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
halo
strange you didn't put in halo in this list?
just curious?
Cheers
Lexen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play First person shooters on the PC. Have since Doom. Halo is for the people that can't afford a $3000 computer and have to play on a console with their TV and a terrible controller rather than a mouse. Once Halo 2 hits the PC, it will, as the first one did, go straight to the bargain bin. How can it possibly compete with Halflife 2, Doom 3 or UT2004 except to people who can't afford a PC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disagree
I would heartily disagree about your Halo comments. I cut my teeth on PC FPS's. First Wolf3d, then Doom, Doom 2, heretic, Duke3d, the highly underrated Shadow Warrior, Quake, Quake 2, Half Life, and then the wonderful Unreal Tournament. While I will certainly agree that most FPS's on earlier consoles were ass (slow framerate, horrible controls), this is not the case with Halo and Halo 2 on the Xbox. With minimal practice the dual stick control becomes second nature, and with the sensitivity turned all the way up control is just a fast and fluid as with a mouse and keyboard (which was always my preferred control scheme). I quickly lost interest in Halo 1 once the campaign was over because the multiplayer was unbalanced. However, I have found Halo 2 multiplayer to be balanced and fun. While not as graphically impressive as doom 3 (duh, the Xbox is using a modified and now ancient geforce card), it is a far better game than Doom 3, especially multiplayer. Add in the fact that I can play it reclined on the couch instead of sitting at my desk and it is a winner for me.

I am not one of these crazy console fanboys that think consoles rock and PCs suck, but I am continually baffled by those PC-centric players who think anything on a console must suck.

As far as PC Halo hitting the bargain bin upon release- "well duh," the game was well over a year old by the time it hit the PC, was adapted from a version designed to run on a PII 700(Xbox), and had already been purchased and played as an Xbox title by most (full price gamers). i.e. the subset of gamers that buy titles for full price instead of waiting for bargain prices. The VAST majority of full price gamers own solid gaming PCs AND one or more consoles.

Later,
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You drive an automatic transmission right?meeple

Doom 3 made me sad with the game-play certainly. That was all about the engine, which is incredible, but we suffered for it. So yeah.

What I don't buy is the controller. Back in the old days people tried to play OG Quake with joysticks and trackballs and all that and were meaty gibs. It's simply not the same type of game without a mouse. The Counterstrike style could maybe work,but run and gun like Quake and UT? It's not even a matter of getting used to it, it's like going to a race wearing lead shoes. Compare your circle strafing in halo 2 with your quake circle strafe. And flicking? you can't flick at ALL with a controller. And the keyboard. This is what people forget about when touting the controller. You have 15/20 buttons you can script actions for on your left hand. This means no scrolling through weapons, single button presses that fires a grenade and then switches up to the next best weapon, custom text for team orders or taunts, on and on.

I'm not bagging on consoles. Consoles are for VF:EVO and Guilty Gear, not for FPS games. Stick a keyboard and mouse on an Xbox and you're starting to cook with gas, but then where are the mods? Where are the server controls? We can set up a quake server, control who is on there, control map rotation, mod implementation.

I drive a manual.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.