Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Punched Out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
What do folks do with the cardboard that's left over after punching out counters and other game components? I actually used to collect them -- for what imagined future use I can't recall -- but in a recent move my huge (several foot tall) stack was "lost" (i.e. disposed of by someone).

What clever uses for these things (do they have a name?) am I now forever condemned to regret being unable to experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
The only game in which I can see a need to keep the cardboard skeletons would be Magna Grecia. The box was designed in such a way that the punch sheets hold down a lot of the loose bits, but no one bothered to tell the engineer who designed it that those sheets would most likely be thrown away after they had been punched. In order to keep your box in order, you have to keep them in their spot.

Other than to mention that, I don't have an answer to your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
You can build a fort with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the people I know call them sprues, althogh I'm sure this is a term that is probably not correctly used for cardboard (I believe it is specific to metal or plastic).

Some people save them simply because they are obsessive about their games. For many games, it's a good idea, to put the cardboard spures under the box insert. This raises the insert and fills the void between the box lid and the insert so that the bits don't slid around as much.

Some people save them, so they have an accurate count of how many bits they should have in their game, using the sprues as a reference guide. Of course this will only tell you the number and not which ones you are missing.

But for most games, most people just toss them (or recycle them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Indus specifically recommended keeping them under the insert to push it against the top of the box and thus reduce scrambling of pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Child's Play
I actually give them to my kids to use as parts and pieces of their art projects. The girls make some cool stuff, both with the pieces themselves and by using the pieces to trace shapes.

It was my wife's idea, and a pretty good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprues
I often will save them to make other game bits. You can cut them and apply your paste-ups to them. Nice for those of us who make homemade games. I also used one to repair my AH Acquire box lid, which I found at a thrift, which had some kind of wierd, oily, substance that had seeped into the cardboard of the lid. Cut out the bad part, put in a cutout. Voila! Box no longer in danger of further decay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kids
I give them to my son. He can use them to trace the shapes and do art projects. That was my thought anyway. What actually ends up happening is he throws them around the house for awhile and then I throw them away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife keeps a few odd ones, to be used for craft projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
BAck in the day
I used to photo copy the counter sheet prior to punching and glue/staple the copy paper to the cardboard frame thus in theory I could replace all the counters in the frame in the proper order to see if the game was complete.

In practice it was a complete waste of time and paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Much like scrib, back in the day, I used to hang onto them. My theory was that, if I misplaced a counter, I could reconstruct one from the spare stuff. It would then be the same thickness, backing, and color as the others... the best possible match. I would even be annoyed on opening a game to find that the waste material was not sufficient to do this. And I was in heaven when the manufacturer saw fit to include a few blanks in a variety of colors.

Of course, I don't think I ever lost anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife uses them as stencils for scrapbooking and pattern-making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Thanks
Some great ideas here. I had never thought of using them to prop up the box insert and keep components from rattling around inside the box.

Now they're all gone -- sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teachers
I have a friend whose wife teaches and she uses them for stencils. I was so happy to have something constructive to do with them that I ran out and bought a few more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.