GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: One missing piece: don't ya hate it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, I received my copy of Samarkand: Routes to Riches and wouldn't ya know it, it's missing ONE blue camel. Not a big deal, but it's one of those situations where 1) it's an insignificant issue so I probably won't do anything about it; however 2) every time I play the game I'll wish I had that piece.

With a collection of somewhere around 150 games, this is only the second time I bought one with a missing piece. The other time was when I bought Stone Age. Oddly enough, the piece missing from that game was also blue. (I did get a free replacement for that one).

I think I'd almost feel better if an entire bag of meeples was missing rather than just one lousy piece. Then I wouldn't feel bad about asking for replacements.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our missing piece to Livingstone was also blue - it's a conspiracy!

(Seriously, though, Playroom replaced it right away - they were great )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
mintcamel

Found it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, missing/erroneous pieces can be annoying. And while you can go the route of customer service, I find I just can't be hassled and wallow in that nagging feeling of being incomplete.

My new copy of Fury of Dracula (second edition) contained two Mina miniatures but no Van Helsing, as a recent personal example of this. I've substituted a D&D elf mini, but it sticks out so badly during play. Van Helsing is certainly not a namby-pamby little elf-boy, but that's the closest I've got.

And no, I don't know what "namby-pamby" is supposed to mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
My new copy of Fury of Dracula (second edition) contained two Mina miniatures but no Van Helsing

I suspect somewhere there is a person who has two Van Helsing's and no Mina. If you ever meet this person it will probably caused a rift in the space-time continuum and the entire universe will implode. Yikes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
email t.landwehr@queen-games.de I'm sure they will help you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
I suspect somewhere there is a person who has two Van Helsing's and no Mina. If you ever meet this person it will probably caused a rift in the space-time continuum and the entire universe will implode.

Granted, that's a worst-case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Horus Heresy came with 23x Imperial Army, 4x Custodes figures (should've been 24x/3x). Thaadd accidentally sent me a Custodes as replacement, so now I have 5x . The correct IA figure is on the way. Has having a Custodes in a IA base even been noticeable? No. In fact, haven't see the need for more than 20 IA units on the board at a given time, but my OCD kicks in at times blush .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
I know the value of my OOP games, quit trying to rip me off!
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, my missing piece to EL GRANDE was also the BLUE Grande!!! It IS a conspiracy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
in my code omega I got an extra blue scoring piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*waits for someone to explain they were missing a blue bean in Bohnanza*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm missing one wound counter in my copy of "A Touch of Evil". Not sure if I lost it when I was punching out the chits, or if it was missing before. All in all it is probably the one "best" thing that I could be missing.

(However, I now have 31 wound tokens instead of 32. I'm tempted to "lose" one more to make it an even 30 and satisfy my OCD...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Yesterday, I received my copy of Samarkand: Routes to Riches and wouldn't ya know it, it's missing ONE blue camel. Not a big deal, but it's one of those situations where 1) it's an insignificant issue so I probably won't do anything about it; however 2) every time I play the game I'll wish I had that piece.

I don't understand the aversion to asking for a replacement. You paid for this game, you should have a complete set of pieces. Go and contact the publisher.

This happens every now and then, and all of the publishers that I have contacted (among them, Rio Grande, Z-Man, and Mayfair) have always been very good about sending replacements, and have usually been very quick about it. I've never had to contact Queen Games, but I'm sure they want to keep their customers happy, too.

Quote:
I think I'd almost feel better if an entire bag of meeples was missing rather than just one lousy piece. Then I wouldn't feel bad about asking for replacements.

My copy of Tigris & Euphrates was missing the entire set of small green VP cubes, and it had a broken monument. Mayfair was great and they swiftly sent the new pieces, but I would've asked even if only one cube was missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You knew this one was coming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually for some companies, i sometimes hope there WILL be a missing piece.

I haven't had to contact many customer services and never got problems with them so far but at Fantasy Flight Games, Games Workshop and Sands of Time Games most of the time they went the extra mile and replaced not only the missing / damaged pieces but the whole set :
FFG : One Battlelore dice was broken / Got a full set of 12
GW : Most Space Hulk tiles delaminating / Entire Cardboard set to be replaced
SoT : 3/4 of currency cards in Catacombs stuck-ripped / Whole set replaced

So in the end we get even more pieces which in most cases is unnecessary but still totally cool. They don't HAVE to do that but most did, with a nice handwritten note sent along to boot and that made me a loyal customer for years to come because i know i can purchase one of their game without fear. And it pays in the end for them because i end up purchasing more and more games....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:

I followed your suggestion . . . and I got a rapid reply that they would be happy to send me a replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Young
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite missing-piece story was a missing treasure in Dungeon Twister: Paladins and Dragons (it very well could have been blue, as the only colors in the game are blue and gold). I contacted Asmodee about it, and they responded the next day by sending a replacement treasure, plus two bonus characters that were given out at tournaments, just for the inconvenience.

That's classy customer service, and I think of it every time I bring my awesome Purple Dragon into play.

edit: It's called a Purple Dragon, but it still comes in blue and gold. I stand by my earlier color statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

I followed your suggestion . . . and I got a rapid reply that they would be happy to send me a replacement.

Glad I could help.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.