Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Heroes Games and Hobbies Thank You rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Leitl
United States
Park Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I had the pleasure of visiting Heroes Games and Hobbies in Sparks NV. I had stopped by the store to check and see if they had anything that might interest me. Friendly people in wonderful atmosphere greeted me. After making a purchase (Amun Re @ a discount for active duty military) I was invited to hang around and watch the gaming (a game of Warhammer Fantasy and the Clix Mechwarrior were being played) The next thing I know I, a complete stranger to these people, was invited to join in a game (Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot). I had a wonderful time but feel I should apologize for my abrupt departure after the game was finished as I had an hour drive ahead of me and needed to be to work early. But if you ever find yourself in the Reno/Sparks area do yourself a favor and stop in. If they always run this place like they did last night you will not be disappointed. Thanks again to the people at Heroes Games and Hobbies.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Licata
United States
knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
A Salute
The people you met at that game store is what I miss.

Not long ago there was a journal entry about stores in Orlando, Fl. I was moaning about the disappearance of one store in the city. One of the reasons is what you mention in this journal entry. Friendly people willing to reach out to all those who walked through the door and include them in the wonderful experience of gaming. I miss that. cry

Where I live now there is a group of gamers called the Yankee Peddlers. It is not a store, but a bunch of devotees who rent a store front so they can play games. They are friendly people. When you walk through the door they will invite you to play any game they are playing, hand you miniatures to do it, and most important, let you "PLAY" the game (meaning they do not hover over a newbee and tell them everything they do wrong). They are great

To the other extreme, there is a group in town who has an open game day of warhammer. I went there one time and ended up watching them play. There were no invites to play. No sharing of armies. No, "Here, you can control this unit if you want to play". Nope, no sharing, no kindness ... nothing. angry

While they played I went to a nearby game store to browse and I saw one of the kids from the warhammer game group. I engaged him in conversation ... asked him what army he liked and such chit-chat. Soon I suggested for him to get back to the game (he had been in the store for a while). He told me he was not playing. He owned no figures and no one at the "open" session offered to let him play at their table. cry

I left so disappointed I never went back even though I have my own armies. It was sad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Don't you love good games stores that are driven by people with a love of games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Leitl
United States
Park Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is stores like this one that make the traveling I do worth it. It almost makes me look forward to the next time I need to come up this way. I said almost cause I treasure the time I get to spend with my family more than anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.