GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Variants

Subject: Claustrophobia rules for Descent...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Claustrophobia for the first time today and absolutely loved how the movement and combat system worked. I thought it worked perfectly for a dungeon crawler and was much smoother than the square-based system used in other DCs, including Descent. So I got to wondering whether there was some way to "translate" the Claustrophobia system over to Descent, still allowing for all the other game mechanics to work...

For those that don't know C'phobia, the rules are basically this:

- The dungeon is divided up into tiles, but unlike Descent the tiles are not divided up into spaces. Each tile simply has a default capacity of 3 figures from each "side" (3 evil figures plus 3 good figures). Some tiles alter this capacity.

- Figures cannot enter or move through tiles that are already at their capacity.

- Figures may perform melee attacks on any other figure in their tile. Ranged attacks can target adjacent tiles.

- The next tile into an unexplored section is laid down only when a hero moves off the edge of his current tile. Evil figures can only be spawned on tiles that do not contain good figures, and only on tiles that lead to an unexplored section.

- A figure cannot leave a tile if the number of opponents' figures in the tile outnumber their own side's figures.

And that's basically it. I just love the simple, abstracted beauty of it.

So I was wondering if something similar might work for Descent, with modified LoS, range and spawning rules...? Obviously it would be a major overhaul... but that sort of thing has never bothered me.

Initial thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Verbelen
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've played claustrophobia and while I liked it, I like descent's movement system better.

Despite the problem that desent doesn't really use the big square tiles, you could use area's as the big tile part.
We have area's now, but if you make them a tad smaller, you could apply the claustrophobia rules to the area.

Maybe use some modifiers for the larger monsters: 4 tiles counts as 2 occupants, 6 tiles as 3. then you could have 3 heroes and 1 dragon, which should logically would fill up the area just as much or even more than 3 heroes vs 3 beastmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually thinking of using each individual tile as a tile, with whatever the longest side was being the capacity (total, so divided by 2 for each side), though maybe your idea is better. I was hoping to be able to use the original dungeons rather than having to create custom ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Verbelen
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem there, are the corridors, if it's about "realism" say you have a 10x2 corridor, meaning 5 pieces on each side, in that small corridor only 2 could actually clash on each side.

If that is'nt a problem it could work. The smaller areas wouldn't need much rulemaking tho, Just make each room an area, with the connecting corridors being part of that area ( talking from an esthetics standpoint, I'd keep the corridors as small as possible though) set a number of figures per area. No calculating, and the claustrophobia ruleset can be applied directly.

I don't know how balanced the fighting would be, but it's a start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.