Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P H
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a few months, I will be moving to the Alpharetta area, about an hour north of the Atlanta airport. Is there a master list of game stores in the Atlanta area? I've heard good things about the Tower Game Center in Lawrenceville, but it will be about an hour from my new location. I'm sure I will check it out at some point, but probably won't be able to go there often. I'm looking for a good store a little closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://geekdo.com/thread/294366/flgs-of-the-usa-a-list-of-ga...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alpharetta? Ouch. Sorry, mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr no is a pretty good shop, comics, minis, and a large board game section. off exit 167 on 75 head east about 4-5 miles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alpharetta is a bit of a no man's land, when it comes to a gaming store. Requires travel. And even worse... if you're a wargamer (hex and counter guy, like myself), then it feels like living smack in the middle of a desert. There used to be, in the golden days, a great store in town (Atlanta area, that is), with several locations, called The Sword of the Phoenix. They specialized in military simulations, mostly, and miniature wargaming as well. Then they had to close every single store, one by one, for lack of profit... If you're not a wargamer, then definitely the Tower is your best bet, huge selection of games and a vast geekdom crowd to interact with (or not ) and it's not so terribly far from Alpharetta. Welcome to Georgia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Singleton
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just echoing everyone else. There are a few places to 'play' games around/in/near Alpharetta, but if you want a FLGS that's close, the Tower is what you get.

BTW - welcome. The Tower is great and everyone is friendly. It truly is a geek haven. Minatures, board games, D&D...the only thing you can't find there is comics. There's also an Xbox and a DVD player set up for use. If that's one of the things your into, you can travel a bit further to Titans.

We have a board game group that meets regular on specific Sunday's, but generally if you go in after 6 on Friday or Saturday - someone from our group is probably there anyway. Sunday try after 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Berkeley Lake
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's a small wargaming crowd at Tower too, probably looking for more. I see Conflict of Heroes on the table fairly often, and it seems like they would play the deeper ones if there were more interest.

I don't think its an hour away from Alpharetta, one thing you'll find after moving here is that Atlanta's horrible traffic issues cause extremely skewed travel times. If you aren't driving during rush hour, I'd expect it to take 40 minutes from Alpharetta, and it will be well worth the trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Elgin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is pretty large community here in Atlanta. We just had Ward's Atlanta Gamefest. If you are a board gamer you will have no problem finding a group on any chosen weekend. Different groups meet throughout the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PvtRizzo wrote:
There used to be, in the golden days, a great store in town (Atlanta area, that is), with several locations, called The Sword of the Phoenix. They specialized in military simulations, mostly, and miniature wargaming as well. Then they had to close every single store, one by one, for lack of profit...

The mention of Sword brought a tear to my eye...it was truly one of the great game stores in the country, with a stunning selection and a lot of weird, rare stuff I never saw anywhere else. Atlanta itself was kind of a gaming desert back then, and Sword fed my twelve-year-old geek self during a lot of hard times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hyman
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MsLgean wrote:
We have a board game group that meets regular on specific Sunday's, but generally if you go in after 6 on Friday or Saturday - someone from our group is probably there anyway. Sunday try after 12.

I went by Tower a while back on a Friday around 2-3pm and they were closed despite their website saying they were open. Is late afternoon/night on weekends the best time to go? I have been wanting to head back there to see their selection, but it is not just down the street for me. No one seems to answer the phone either.

On that day seeing that they were closed, I headed the other alternative I had, www.thegamingpit.com. I found one of the games on my list (was just getting started with my Euro collection). I just wanted to mention it since I didn't see it mentioned so far. OK selection; probably could not find what I would want there now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P H
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for something close, mainly for my kids sake. I'm trying to ruin his life by turning him into a gamer. I was hoping for something we could pop into for an hour or so. If I'm going to drive an hour to get to a game store, then I'd plan on spending an afternoon there. That might be too long for him. I'm sure I'll be seeing some of you around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Alpharetta. I currently live in Johnscreek (recently annexed from Alpharetta) and we have several gamers in the area. Let me know when you move in and we will invite you to our game nights and monthly game day at the clubhouse in my neighborhood. As for game stores, there is nothing nearby. For the most part we group order from Coolstuff.com or CLS Games. Looking forward to meeting you.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a board game meetup at the Alpha Soda cafe (Haynes Bridge Rd just west of 400) every odd Thursday of the month, from 6:00pm until 10-11pm.

Definitely feel free to stop by!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Singleton
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jphyman wrote:
I went by Tower a while back on a Friday around 2-3pm and they were closed despite their website saying they were open. Is late afternoon/night on weekends the best time to go? I have been wanting to head back there to see their selection, but it is not just down the street for me. No one seems to answer the phone either.

On that day seeing that they were closed, I headed the other alternative I had, www.thegamingpit.com. I found one of the games on my list (was just getting started with my Euro collection). I just wanted to mention it since I didn't see it mentioned so far. OK selection; probably could not find what I would want there now.

Yeah, Andrew and company sometimes don't answer the phone. They are usually open later since the after work crowd shows up. I have been in there at 3pm a few times and it was absolutely dead during the week. So the later the better - and there is usually a group of hard core boardgamers who will stay until 1am or later playing games on Friday/Sat/Sun.

The gaming pit is a spot we all go to sometimes. Not as much since the tower moved to a more cushy location. On Friday/Saturday night, you might be able to catch a board gamer or 4 in there as well. (After 6 again). I didn't mention it before since it's not my home base and is definitely further away from Alpharetta than the Tower.

In truth, the Pit is closer to where I live, but I like the atmosphere at the Tower more for strictly board gaming. If you like Magic and CCGs the Pit is definitely your spot. Sometimes that have a good deal on a game so I swing by to check prices ever so often.

Whoa - I wrote book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Myers
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Perhaps a bit late to mention this, but I decided a couple days ago to start a wargaming blog, and on this blog, I'm going to keep a Google Map of places to play games in the Atlanta Metro area.

Also, if you're out there in ATL, a hex and counter and specifically a platoon level tactical wargame person, please drop me a line on my blog.

http://neatlantagaming.wordpress.com/where-to-play/

David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Finn
United States
flag msg tools
if you don't mind a 30 minutes drive, head to Giga-Bites Cafe in Marietta. Its got a pretty large gaming group going on, and is open 12-11 during the week and 10-11 on saturdays :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Liang
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the area. I live in Roswell, south of Alpharetta. There is a store called Super Games on Alpharetta Hwy in Roswell. They mainly deal with card games but they do have some board games and miniatures.

The owner is pretty cool and can look up and order whatever you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lochmoigh wrote:
Dr no is a pretty good shop, comics, minis, and a large board game section. off exit 167 on 75 head east about 4-5 miles.

Are you talking about Dr. No's in Marietta? You would take Chastain Road to get there from I-75, and that is exit 271.

Exit 167 would put you in Macon, nowhere near Alpharetta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc West
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Richard,

I also live in the Johns Creek/Chatahoochee Norcross Area and are looking for players in the area who want to join up to play.

I have assortment of games ranging from:

Descent, Doom
Battlelore, Memoir 44
Catan and Expansions
Dust I
Conflict of Heroes
Citadels
Cut throat
Agricola
Arcadia
Tides of Iron
Alhambra
Assortment of Card games ie Flux etc

Feel free in connecting maybe we can create regularly Alpharetta/Johns Creek/NW Norcross Group

Rgds Zesty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc West
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
David.

I am a COH's Player if your interested.

The Dr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Avery
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
There is a good minis store near the mall of GA called the Pheonix. I think they have a few boardgames too.

Richard Launius often hosts open gaming at his house (usually tuesdays) and about once a month reserves his nighborhood clubhouse for larger groups of gamers. He's nicknamed it "the league of extraordinary gamers."

The next LoEG is Saturday Dec 11 and there is usually a gaming flea market around 3

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5883637#5883637

Steve"nothing but trouble"Avery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://teahouse-comics.com‎ - On Roswell Rd. in Sandy Springs is one. I just started dating a girl that lives in the area so I have not played any games there, but one of the two times I went in there they were having a game night. I plan on making making more trips in the future and maybe at some point participating. However, their inventory is not extensive by any means at this point. The place seems VERY new, but the people that run it seem very friendly and I figure with local support it should increase in size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gilmore
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I feel the need to narco this thread because it always pops up when I do google stores.

If you are looking for a store in Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek, we opened up there about a year ago.

http://gaming.freedomcardboard.com

FCB Sports Cards, Comics and Games
9850 Nesbit Ferry Rd Suite 17
Alpharetta, GA 30022

I read reviews here and do my best to stock games that are rated high here. And we always get the new release games that have promise. Board gaming night is Thursday, starts at 6:30 and we play whatever game people want to play and there are normal several sessions of different games running all night till about 7. We have a good time, and we don't take anything too serious. We also do not hound people by walking behind them screaming YOU BUY NOW every 30 seconds (unless it would be comical to do so, then we would absolutely do that)

Magic The Gathering
Warhammer 40k
Warhammer fantasy
D&D
D&D Board Games
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Mutants and Masterminds
Arkham Horror
Descent
Super Dungeon Explore
Catan
Castle Panic
Zombie Dice
Any dice game we can get our hands on
Gloom
Risk
Axis and Allies
Any freakin game you care to bring in.

We have a big store now, and we are ready to play some freakin games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Stetson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
FCBGames wrote:
I feel the need to narco this thread because it always pops up when I do google stores.

If you are looking for a store in Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek, we opened up there about a year ago.

http://gaming.freedomcardboard.com

FCB Sports Cards, Comics and Games
9850 Nesbit Ferry Rd Suite 17
Alpharetta, GA 30022

I read reviews here and do my best to stock games that are rated high here. And we always get the new release games that have promise. Board gaming night is Thursday, starts at 6:30 and we play whatever game people want to play and there are normal several sessions of different games running all night till about 7. We have a good time, and we don't take anything too serious. We also do not hound people by walking behind them screaming YOU BUY NOW every 30 seconds (unless it would be comical to do so, then we would absolutely do that)

Magic The Gathering
Warhammer 40k
Warhammer fantasy
D&D
D&D Board Games
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Mutants and Masterminds
Arkham Horror
Descent
Super Dungeon Explore
Catan
Castle Panic
Zombie Dice
Any dice game we can get our hands on
Gloom
Risk
Axis and Allies
Any freakin game you care to bring in.

We have a big store now, and we are ready to play some freakin games.

I'll second FCB. They have a great play area and really put the 'F' in FLGS! The owner is cool with whatever and is really trying to foster the gaming community up here- he does so by staying past close when there are games going on, and having a small library of open board games that customers are welcome (and encouraged) to play.

Last night we were there for Thursday night board gaming and played 8 games of The Resistance, Dixit, and King of Tokyo. Lots of fun!

Their selection isn't usually my taste (they have mostly Ameritrash stuff) but the community aspect keeps me coming back for more.

I live in Alpharetta and organize boardgaming pretty much weekly. PM me and I'll get you on the list.

blake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good to see your post. It's always good to see another source, especially since the Tower is so far away from me in west-Cobb County! I'll be sure to come in and see you!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.