GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Agricola: Farmers of the Moor» Forums » General

Subject: What's your highest score with NO fields / crops? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I had a game against my wife the other day when I literally didn't plow a single field or take a single crop for the entire game.

I ended up with 45 points, though a combination of crap-loads of major improvements, the Tutor occupation, and decent animals.

I still lost, but it was pretty surprising to me that my score could be that high without ever getting an actual "farm" going.

Anyone else had a similar game? What was your score, and what got you there? I've got some pics I'll put up of my final board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
awefawef awefawef
msg tools
i could see that happening in a bigger game, but rare in a 2 player game.

i would think you would want to take at least one veggie just so you can compete for plow/sow space in the last 2-3 rounds... otherwise your opponent can just take that as their last move.

in a 2 player game with special actions galore, its pretty easy to clear all your forest/moor tiles, so i'm assuming each time your plowing that you are erasing an open space negative.

1 veggie (2 points)
plow/sow veggie (2 points)
plow/sow 2nd veggie field (4 points) [do this in last round when veggie harvests off field]

the first move is key because you can now compete for plow/sow. the 2nd move can block a farming strategy, and set up for the 3rd move which is a good point scoring move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine Straight
United States
Lacombe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
La la la la la la. La la la la la ...
badge
La la la la la la. La la la la la ...
mbmbmbmbmb
It really helped me out that he was doing that because I had some good veggie cards (place an extra veggie on each sowed veggie field and when cooking veggies take one more food). I was able to start getting veggies pretty early also due to the grocer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Good question! I agree with mekane that it's surprising this happened in a 2-player game, since it's so easy to pick up crops and fields without competition, but if you have better things to do...

I don't think I've finished a FotM game without crops or fields yet, but I've seen it happen enough times in regular Agricola to know it's possible to put up a very respectable score that way, with the right cards. It's all about the card points if you can't get a pretty farm running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually that score can be very high, the secret would be to build a very large stone house covering your farm.

What you would need is:

Mansion (bonus points for stone house)
Chief (bonus points for stone house)
Chief's daughter could help (bonus points for stone house)
clogs
strong box
Mason (to help biuld this big house)
Yeoman Farmer (so you do not lose points for no feilds)

a player called Coolala did it on the online version of Agricola:

http://play-agricola.com/Agricola/Board2/Agricola.html

He basically covered his farm in stone huts, and scored really high (I think 60+)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Well, yes, that's one way to do it. My point is it is possible to do it in several different fashions. You don't need any particular card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
超 超
China
flag msg tools
呵呵 你好啊 我现在也非常喜欢农场主了

Oh Hello I also like the farmers of theblush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.