Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Trans-Pacific Shipping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I ordered War of the Ring from Boards and Bits and specified USPS Surface to save US$25 or so about six weeks ago. Anyway, the USPS web site said 4-6 weeks U.S.-Australia shipping time, but people here on the 'geek have said it can be up to 11 weeks!surprise

Is that right? When should I start to get worried if I haven't seen it? If it doesn't come in the next few weeks it will get caught in the Christmas chaos and I might not get it 'til February.

This is a real pain if it's true, because it means there is really no way to get things from U.S. stores at reasonable prices without waiting months!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Surface from the US to Australia I have found to be more in the 8-10 weeks category.

From the UK it can be 2-12 weeks. I think in the UK you can get lucky and if there is room on a plane some seamail stuff gets included, at other times it is on the slow boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NZ, but all the same...
Last time I used surface mail it was pushing the 12 week mark - so long, in fact, that I was somewhat puzzled when a parcel turned up.

Of course, I've since bitten the bullet and now order everything by FedEx Priority/Express/whatever. I'm short an arm and a leg but it arrives blindingly quick and can be tracked, etc.

Slightly OT, I'd like to see a journal entry comparing the relative price of games in countries around the world, taking into account currency differences and cost of living. Maybe convert the price of a common game into 'x' Big Mac combos...
I'm sure there are people out there that don't know how good they've got it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hamilton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
badge
Ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received three parcels from the US so far this year USPS surface. The shortest took 8 1/2 weeks and the longest 11 weeks. Two of the three parcels were posted on the same day, one of which arrived after 9 weeks and the second arrived two weeks later. I am currently waiting on an order shipped 22/9. I expect it will be here in the next week or two. You should add 1-2 weeks to these shipping times if the company you have ordered from is based on the East Coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent a package to Indonesia once that took 11 weeks.

I was in trade talks a while back with John Christie (he wrote some really great articles on Yaquinto's Mythology and Freedom in the Galaxy). The reason the trade didn't go through was basically his mistrust of the Australian postal service and his horrible experiences. The way I see it though is well really how much worse could the Australian postal service be than the USPS? Not much I bet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Oh well, if it takes 9-10 weeks it'll be a nice Christmas present to myself.

It kind of makes the expensive stores in Australia look better - at least you can experience the opening of the shrinkwrap before you see the hit on your credit card statement.

As to Australia Post, I don't think there's anything dreadfully wrong with it - I don't generally send or receive parcels, so I guess I wouldn't know, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly OT, I'd like to see a journal entry comparing the relative price of games in countries around the world, taking into account currency differences and cost of living. Maybe convert the price of a common game into 'x' Big Mac combos...

Been there done that, check out my GeekLists and you will find a fairly out of date one with the BMI (Big Mac Index). The reason it is somewhat out of date is that I didn't receive much pricing information (retail only) from people OS. It is interesting from an historical perspective though.

As a whole I trust the Australian Postal system. The one problem I have found recently is that many parcels, read my last two OS imports have been opened for Quarantine purposes. The problem is that when they reseal they use that plastic binding and pull it tight. If your game was already packed in a protective cardboard box around the game's cardboard box then that is fine. If the game is only protected by brown paper and maybe a little bubble wrap as was the case for my copy of Die Macher then the game's box gets quite damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hamilton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
badge
Ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
USPS
In my experience the Australian postal service is much better than the US postal system. In Australia mail will travel overnight without trouble from one side of the country to another, and within two days to the smallest country towns.

In the US it takes a minimum of a week for regular mail to travel just from the east to the west coast. It's understandable that things go haywire on occasion given the huge population and mass of different destinations.

From the US side, I do recall a letter I once sent to Oz from the US finally arrived months later after an Austrian stop-over!

Having said that, I have sent many parcels to Oz via USPS over the years, including about 8 boxes of stuff from when I was living there in the mid-90s, and have never had a problem at either end.

Nonetheless, while I've never had any problems with USPS myself presumably a lot of other Americans have or there wouldn't be so many competitors (eg UPS and FedEx)! Unfortunately, a lot of US-based mail order companies refuse to use USPS in favor of the more expensive options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
USPS Good
I tend to disagree with detractors of the USPS. Over the last 10 years I have sent thousands of parcels of books, games, miniatures and cards via the USPS. I can think of 3 instances where they lost one.

And they are fast. Really fast. From one side of the US to the other in an average of 2-3 days and virtually guaranteed 3 days if via Priority Mail.

Truth be told, I have sent many packages to over 30 countries and had only one go missing.. to Poland I think. In the USA even Media Mail can go shore to shore in a week or less. You get what you pay for I think. Pay for Global priority or at least 1st Class Air and any package leaving the USA will likely hit your shores within 3-5 days. What happens next is dependent on the various customs rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's true, but the next class above surface mail for War of the Ring was going to cost another US$20 or something. Once you do that it becomes cheaper to wait and buy it in a shop front in Australia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the USPS is pretty good. I've only had one lost out of over 200 parcels shipped in the last two years. And I know what I could have done to prevent that loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Fraser, that made for interesting reading. Now I'm feeling (slightly) less sorry for myself and instead shedding a tear for my brethren in Sweden...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Posted a parcel air mail from the US to the UK via USPS - took six months to arrive! Thought it had got lost and was very surprised when it turned up.

Posted a parcel from Australia to the UK and only half of it turned up. Guess it wasn't packaged well enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james Reid
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
If it's not a rude question
How much did it run you in AUD($) to order it, including postage? I never seem to able to come out ahead when I factor in postage to Australia, and end up buying games off milsims or games paradise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think the total including postage came to about AUS$90 or so, because I got it for an excellent retail price of US$40, I think. Now, I haven't seen it here yet, but my guess is it will be something well over AUS$100 once it hits the shops here.

If I had ordered Airmail postage or better it wouldn't have been nearly such a good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.