GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Malifaux» Forums » General

Subject: What to get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Is each boxed set a fairly balanced crew?

I know I can get the rulebook, but I'd like some guys to start painting as I learn the rules.

I can't find a decent description of the factions. Like who's shooty, who's harder to play, who has the cool stuff.

Also, my son constantly forgets the abilities of his Heroscape dudes. Which faction is simplest to play and not have to keep looking stuff up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perdita kicks ass. Lillth's Brood is the coolest in my opinion. I've been playing Lady Justice and Nicodem. The guild seems to be the most straight forward for learning rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gingold
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere, all of the characters have special abilities that you will have to look up.

Perdita is probably the most straight forward. They are the "shooty" warband in the guild.

As far as who has the cool stuff, what sort of stuff are you looking for? The Viktorias (the outcast faction) can be a lot of fun. They have a lot of synergy in that warband.

If you like beasts like tigers, snakes, etc, Marcus is up there. If you like the Steampunk look and want the ability to create lots of mechanical spiders that can combine into larger bases of spiders, go with Ramos.

With a little more info, we may be able to steer you towards some factions.

Some of the boxed sets are better than others. Some of them are not equal in points even if the person with less points takes the difference in soul stones. Perdita is one of the best out of the box. Somer'Teeth Jones is a lot of fun but his warband shines if you add some blisters to the starter box.

I may be able to provide more info if you can tell me which style of play you like...

Geosphere wrote:
Is each boxed set a fairly balanced crew?

I know I can get the rulebook, but I'd like some guys to start painting as I learn the rules.

I can't find a decent description of the factions. Like who's shooty, who's harder to play, who has the cool stuff.

Also, my son constantly forgets the abilities of his Heroscape dudes. Which faction is simplest to play and not have to keep looking stuff up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gingold
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing to point out is that once you get the rulebook, download the errata and the FAQ. While I love this game, the errata and FAQ are very frustating. The errata completely rewrites some sections of the rulebook and eliminates some rules from the rulebook altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikeg99 wrote:
One other thing to point out is that once you get the rulebook, download the errata and the FAQ. While I love this game, the errata and FAQ are very frustating. The errata completely rewrites some sections of the rulebook and eliminates some rules from the rulebook altogether.

I will second this. In fact this is what keeps me from recommendation this game to new players. It wasn't an errata, it was a major rules change across the board. They haven't released new cards yet to replace all the changes, and will likely charge you when they do. The game is fun and the miniatures are fantastic, but the management of the game is not very good so far and makes me rather nervous. They are new at this so I'll give them some leniency, but it might be a system to wait and see on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add the Lady Justice to the "shooty" type that's a pretty nice little boxed set. I also like the Rasputina set. Couple of ranged attacks, spells, and some melee, while not being too complicated.

I would not recommend Nicodem or Pandora if you're looking for simpler strategies.

Really, with any of the Malifaux characters you're going to need to refer to the cards or book a lot. It's a great game, but it is a little complicated-certainly more so than Heroscape.

Not that you're looking for more suggestions, but Anima Tactics is a simpler but fun minis game that's pretty cheap as well. The rule book is available as a free download and the character cards are readable on the blister packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Kehoe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to keep in mind is the number of figure types in each box.

Lady Justice, Lilith, Rasputina and Sonnia all follow a basic formula:

1 Master
1 lieutenant
3 basic grunts with identical stats

So although there are 5 models in the set, you are only learning three characters.

By comparison, the Viktoria and Perdita crews use unique characters for all five slots - so no two characters play alike. Its a lot more to take in.

Despite that, I think all of the gangs I mentioned by name are good fits. The Resurrectionists and Ramos will require additional models to account for their summoning powers. Pandora, Leveticus and Somer require very specialized tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.