Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had put in an order with CardChess some time ago for Mouse Chaos. It seemed a very intersting abstract with awesome chrome and bits. Well after months and even trying to contact them - nothing ever came of it. They never charged me, but I did never hear from them again.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, Jeff Widderich (Jeff, I apologize if I misspelled your name), game designer and I guess CEO of the company called me (had my # from the order); he personally apologized and said Europe was absorbing all of his orders and he was just catching up in the US. Anyway, he asked if I was still interested in getting the game. I said yes of course and he said for my troubles he woudl give me a free prototype copy of Pompeii. He then let me know that he had shipped it and included a copy of Crossword Pyramids and Dominoes2.

I have received all of them and may I say; if you want to make up for a fault - he went overboard. The games are really nice as far as bits and look to be great family games. Getting all of the nice extras is great. All I can say is thanks! I really like a company willing to go that extra step in trying to make things up. I hope to try out a game of Mouse Chaos soon and Pompeii looks very interesting - so that is next on the list (then Crossword Pyramids, I know my wife loves word games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question
Doesn't this break the rule of "NO ADS"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno does it? I don't work for any company nor design games? I just play them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm just paranoid. No offense intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I say, if someone has a positive experience with any seller of games, I want to hear about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally Ken, I hope others share their customer service experiences here - particularly if they are positive. And with taht in mind - I would like to mention Funagain - as a reseller they didn't have ot correct a company mistake, but occasionally I got games without the English rules and they always made sure I got a PDF copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
not an ad
Doesn't this break the rule of "NO ADS"?

Nope. There is at least one journal entry per day promoting the same 3 or 4 online retailers. If anything, those are ads.

I'm betting this journal entry will draw the CardChess Haters Club out though. Whatever the CardChess people did, it seems they have a semi-rabid group of persecutors on BGG.

As for me, I could care less what kind of sinners or saints game publishers are. I just want to buy, sell and play cool games.

I was at a party at GenCon in about 1984 talking with Frank Chadwick - the boss of GDW - and a while later someone approached and admonished me for spending so much time with a known Communist.

Huh? Who cares? I don't know if Chadwick was a Commie or not, GDW made great games and that's all that matters in the final analysis.

Well.. unless they stab and eat too many kittens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
REALLY?
surprise

someone approached and admonished me for spending so much time with a known Communist

Where do you find these idiots? My response would have been something along the lines of . . .

"You can swallow my @%#$! you @#$^@! rotten #%!$#@. @#$^@# pinheads like you shouldn't be out it public. Go #@$*^% yourself you political @$#%&@ reject."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well.. unless they stab and eat too many kittens.
You sir, are out of line. Us kitten-eaters deserve the right to partake in our delicacies without fear of repercussion. We demand the right to walk proud and not be discriminated based on our culinary choices.
laugh

Oh yeah. Thats interesting timing. I was reading the other journal entry this morning, where Melantha was complaining that CardChess was harrassing her with mail because she rated their game low.

Still, its nice to hear that the developer is trying to make amends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm betting this journal entry will draw the CardChess Haters Club out though. Whatever the CardChess people did, it seems they have a semi-rabid group of persecutors on BGG.

You can find that out here if you look around. I think the anti-CardChess stuff comes in to tell publisher and designers, "Don't pull this crap around here. You'll get a whole group of people that will refuse to buy your games." I agree with that. Anything to discourage this kind of behaviour.

Anyways Paul, I'm sure there's come reason behind the 4-for-1 deal which isn't the least bit nobel. Maybe he's trying to buy you off with this great offer so you make a journal entery about how nice he is. (looks like it worked) I'm sure he wants you to give ratings to the games he sent. I wouldn't believe that "Europe was absorbing all of his orders" but I would guess that the game wasn't actually produced until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On probation maybe?
Here is an example of a company which has been associated with dodgy practices and poor customer service. Here is an experienced Geek who has encountered good customer service from them. I would have thought that would be a case to note and, for the moment, move on.

There's not much point in trying to convince Paul that the company didn't behave well in his case; he clearly considered that it was generous and on the facts given I would agree with him. I wouldn't normally expect an unfilled order where no money has changed hands to result in more than a token compensation. It doesn't change the fact that there are other cases where the company or people associated with it have behaved poorly.

Only time will tell whether this is a sign of improvement from the company or a one-off blip. I don't think it's sensible for anyone to jump to the conclusion either that the company is bad and therefore its motive in this case is necessarily suspect or that the evidence of one generous action means that the company is vindicated and the previous criticisms are unfounded.

I'll be interested to see what sort of experiences people have with the company in the future. At the moment I'd certainly be cautious about purchasing anything from it but it's nice to know that Paul likes the games so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note to Coldfoot - given they hadn't charged me, they could have done nothing. Wanting to make up for it - I would have just thought one game would have been exceling (how many times do you go to some retail store and they do nothing for a screw-up on their part - they might say give you back the difference in money if they over charged you, but what about the time it took for going back? do they do anything - nope) So one game would have been perhaps making up for the delay - regardless of cause. 3 games extra is generous... With the components of each, these games do not seem to be a cheap production.

As Mark (taraba) mentioned, CardChess may ineed be trying to buy me off; I'm not that easy ;-) To buy me off, you need to do a deal on the order of Microsoft with Sun ;-) in cold hard cash... (can you tell I also geek in the computer field?) I will rate the games honestly after I play them a few times (I usually don't rate after one time unless I am extrememly impressed positively or negatively) - what I won't do is lower my rating if harassed (I won't raise it either). I may raise it or lower it after further plays - I have dome that as I have either liked or disliked the game more.

If I feel one element is very broken and needs improvement (and I can identify an improvement); I'll probably post an article with a recommendation. I think that is only fair to all involved - the people who made it and the people who bought it.

I hope this email spawns a new interest in the 'geeks here helping all vendors in the supply chain for games - designers, manufacturers/publishers, distributors, and retailers; and for vendors to understand criticism is usually not mean-spirited. I also hope it spawns more interest in the community reaching out and helping one another as best as they possibly can.

Sorry for the long-winded entry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagles Games Customer Service!!!
I've been slowly acquiring minis by the sprue direct from Eagles to convert some hex and counter games to hex and minis games using the famous Richard Borg engine.

A shipment was lost by UPS, I e-mailed Eagles. Katy, The Customer Service person e-mailed me back a phone number and asked me to call to her. (Great voice)

Not only did she offer me FIVE more sprues of minis of my choice for the inconvenience AND overnighted them and replacement order.

I know this has nothing to do w/Card Chess but it seemed like a good place to post a positive experience.

I was so pleased I suggested that she and I get a drink after work...not together, of course, we're too far apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coldfoot - Exhibit 5 is not something I appreciate; I am not looking up personal information on you (have you heard of unlisted #'s?). And look around on BGG, you will find I have posted negatively about CardChess at the following geeklist http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

and another at this geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

But, since I felt they came back with something that at leass attempted to correct the mistake, I felt compelled to post a blog entry. In actuality, my entry should have been 3 days ago (when I received it), but I did not - too busy, alas BGG and gaming isn't my entire life *sigh*. I will see how things go after I rate the game.

Also, an employee reference isn't the same as a customer relations experience. In your example, I would fire said employee (they work for me, a company does not) - if it affected a customer, I would attempt to make it up (something I felt CardChess was trying to do) - my point is few companies do. Example that I have right now, a painting company has squandered away several days of beautiful weather here in NoVA; do I get an apology of a discount in $ for having to have my house unfinished? Or some other type of work for free? No... Maybe I will at the end of the job and that woudl set things right, but right now I do not think highly of the company. I will just be expected to pay the balance of the work.

I apologize for the apology - I should have had either my game in front of me or did a look-see on BGG to either ensure I was correct or perhaps more appropriate for the way you feel was to ensure I misspelled his name.

And I do not appreciate being accused of shilling - I have not rated the game, nor even played any of them yet. I have only glanced over the rules thus far... Perhaps I shill for PR, Sunda to Sahul, and WoW too? They got high ratings from me. Did you notice that I am mutual geekbuddies of 2 of the 3 designers? Does that make me a shill...?

As DW would say - go piss up a rope...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John - no yoru post is ON TOPIC! Thanks... Now I need to get to work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We all make them...
Wow...some pretty harsh criticism of companys that make mistakes. I have had missing parts from some great game manufacturers, and they have all apologized and sent me the replacement parts quickly.
I don't get mad at them for not "getting it right in the first place." there isn't enough time on this planet to be that nit picky. I like the fact that they respond so quickly and send me the pieces to set things right.
Rio Grande, mayfair, Days of Wonder, and Eurogames have all been very supportive in this regard to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I must be lucky
my old Broadside game bought new in the 60s came with a 1.5X the number of hulls and a double set of and masts and other pieces. Up Front, bought in the eighties had two sets of personel and vehicle cards and my latest purchase, Memoir '44, came with 84 German infantry instead of 42.

I can't ever remember being shorted components by the mfg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Peter; actually people and systems make mistakes - companies are just a grouping of them (putting on my process engineering hat). I agree we shouldn't get too harsh on companies for that kind of thing - everyone of us probably has made a similar mistake and at least most of use try to correct in any way we seem we can.

With that in mind - Justin I do agree with the point that it is best never to make the mistake in the first place, but since we can't always do that I think trying to do something to make it up is better than nothing. Thinking that MOST companies only do what you mentioned - correct the mistake with a free shipment of what was missing in the first place - I view giving me 3 new games as a bit out of the ordinary folks.

What I seem to have triggered is all of the people that hate CardChess. I don't hate them, but then I have never rated their games, so have no idea what will happen at that point.
I wonder how many of these criticizing them though have ever really seen their games, posted a review themselves, or some other public forum and then got criticized. What worries me is that there is a perpetual rumor mill that makes the problem worse and worse. I was a critic of CardChess for not shipping me the game, but then they didn't charge me either. The designer/CEO (I presume) personally called me and asked if I still wanted a copy. I guess I don't hold a grudge that much folks... Nor do I let other negative opinions necessarily sway me from wanting try a new game. I agreed and he took the opportunity to ship me an additional 3 games to make up for it after telling me he was only going to ship one. I am not sure any other company would do that ...

And since (according to Cold Foot having moved me to live in the frigid north), it was obviously easy for him to get me a massive set of games, I must be a wholly owned and operated shill subsidiary by CardChess. (Incidentally, I think there is a Paul Boos that lives somewhere in Europe too - probably related to the shoe store that bears my last name in Hamburg, Germany and also related the Boos Blocks that are made in New York and also related to the Boos' that live on Ocracoke Island - oh wait - they really ARE related to me...)

Peronally, I do feel sorry for anyone that gets any form of hate mail. But, until it happens to me, I am not letting it sway my opinion of a company unless someone is going to tell me the hate was racist, sexist, etc. or tehy are threatening me with death; then I am going to want some cold hard evidence. Let it roll off you folks; it just can't hurt you. Look at how many public hate messages I just got ;-) Now let's all get back to what we really enjoy - games...

End of your non-local (unless you live in the DC metro area) service announcement, we would like to resume this regularly scheduled blog....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle Games
oops...
I forgot to mention that I have received wonderful customer assistance from Eagle Games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.