Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
Memorial Day. Most of us have the day off - and who doesn't love a day off? What could be better? The start of a new math trade you say? How about a HIGH value math trade with some MIGHTY fine games?

My general preference is to run unrestricted events - less work, higher trade percentages etc. But we recently had another event for small games and so it seems only fair to also cater to those who want the opposite. I don't expect us to have a great percentage, and nor do I expect to make any trades myself, but we'll see what happens.

Of course, we need a lower end cutoff here and so I will, somewhat arbitrarily, choose:

ALL ITEMS/PACKAGES IN THIS EVENT MUST HAVE A MINIMUM VALUE OF $60 (U.S)

How will this be determined? See rule #1 below.

Request GeekList: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/55273
Trade GeekList: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/55238

Use of the On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) is required for this event (please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support).

Key dates (all times are CENTRAL TIME)

Open for posting games: Monday, May 31st (10am) until Friday, June 4th (10am)

Want list submission period: Friday, June 4th (10am) until Sunday, June 6th (10pm) - no extensions!

Results posted within an hour thereafter.

Please do not delete items or sweeteners once you have listed them. You can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've traded it away before the deadline.

The rules - please take a few minutes to read them:

d10-1 In the event of uncertainty, I will use the following mechanism to judge if an item can be included:

In print new games:

I shall go in order down the following list, taking the first value I find.

1) Boards & Bits price
2) Game Surplus price
3) CoolStuffInc price
4) BGG Marketplace history

If you know that an item is only available somewhere else, please point that out to me.

In print used games:

1) BGG Marketplace history

Out of print games:

1) BGG Marketplace history - items not sold in the past year in the Marketplace will be treated more leniently as their value has probably risen
2) Noble Knight (may also be used if a game hasn't sold in the Marketplace for some time)
3) Troll & Toad (may also be used if a game hasn't sold in the Marketplace for some time)

Exception:

- If a game is available only through an outlet not covered above, I will use that price.

Under no circumstances will MSRP be used in valuations, unless it is unavailable anywhere else at a discounted price.

The moderator reserves the right to make all final decisions on this.

Packaging games to get over the $60 value is OK.

d10-2 An in-print game whose value when new (calculated as above) is right at the $60 but is not new does not qualify. Use some common sense please.

d10-3 Geekgold may be used as a sweetener but will not count towards the package value. It may not be listed as the main item in an entry. No debate on this please - I know there's an "exchange rate" and all that, but it will go against the spirit of the event.

d10-4 Gift certificates are allowed, but given the fact that shipping affects the value of a GC obtained for a game, no GCs will be allowed below the value of $75, except as a sweetener. The only reason I'm allowing them at all is because some people don't have high end games to trade and this will allow them to participate.

No other items outside the scope of BGG are permitted.

d10-5 Gift certificate arbitrage is NOT allowed. However you may trade an entry that has GG or a GC as a sweetener for another which also has GG or a GC as a sweetener, provided that the other items offered in each entry are entirely different - it's just too hard to police otherwise.

d10-6 GC entries must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953) and must include the +altname+ brief description -altname- format in the description of your item.

d10-7 You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box), language and edition of your item in the description. This includes sweeteners if they are physical items (i.e. not GG).

For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it's complete. Also, remember that just because something is "new in shrink" that doesn't mean that you shouldn't disclose any dings. It might not matter to you, but it matters to some people.

If the game and/or expansion you are listing is a "Print & Play" make that clear in the description (and I recommend you give specifics what it was printed on, mounted on, etc).

If you are listing an expansion if you reference the base game in the description be clear one way or the other if you are including the base game or not. Do not include a link to the base game unless you are including it as this looks, in the OLWLG, as if you are.

d10-8 You must clearly state your shipping policy in your listing. You are not required to ship outside of your own country but your shipping restrictions outside of your own country must be clearly stated and if you are not covering full shipping elsewhere, then you must state precisely how much of the actual shipping cost you will cover.

You are not permitted to require a specific amount for shipping from the recipient and must cover at least the first $5 of shipping costs for items you send out. "Mirror shipping" is not allowed. You are not allowed to charge for shipping materials.

Any ambiguity will be interpreted as generosity on your part. This means that if you don't include a shipping policy, then it is assumed that you will ship anywhere in the world for free!

d10-9 Sweeteners are to be listed using the "Insert Geek Link" dropdown or you can manually insert the GAMEID using BGG formatting. If you don't use this format your sweeteners won't show up in the OLWLG properly.

d10-1d10-0 If you've been reported to me as a bad trader, you cannot participate. If you try to, I will remove your entries.

d10-1d10-1 Please do NOT include links to other games in your entry unless you are actually including them as a sweetener, as this is displayed in a misleading manner by the OLWLG.

d10-1d10-2 Finally - you are expected to periodically check during the item submission period, and preferably during the want list submission period, to see if anyone has commented on your entries. People often ask questions of items - most commonly because you have forgotten to state a version, language or shipping policy - and you should check in to address such questions in a timely manner should they arise, so that everyone then has the correct information available.

You will NOT be able to respond to comments in the GeekList once it is locked down and the submission period begins.

Other useful information

OLWLG Help: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

Software Used: TradeMaximizer 1.4 with duplicate protection. SEED=1234567, ITERATIONS=100, METRIC=USERS-TRADING

Geekgold restrictions:

Users may not post more geekgold than they currently have. GG may be used as a sweetener only.

Want list submission

Submissions may be made at any time after 10am on the 4th, but only by the OLWLG. If you will be unavailable during the want list submission period but still wish to participate, contact me directly and we can discuss alternatives.

Note: only errors by the moderator will invalidate the results.

Also in the case that there is a problem after the results are posted, at most it will only invalidate the affected trade chain(s) and not the entire results set. In addition if the problem can be resolved by the most directly affected party or parties, then that is perfectly acceptable.

Please note that it's best to work on your want list and submit them early - you can always make changes and resubmit later. This will prevent you from being left out if you forget the deadline.

Also: Creating want lists is not the same as submitting them. To submit them you will need to click on the "Submit My Wants" button. If you're not sure how to find this, consult the documentation referenced above or ask in the discussion thread.

When you submit your want lists, you will receive a confirming GeekMail. If you don't get one, your want lists haven't been submitted. Your want lists in the GeekMail may be truncated - this is fine.

Thanks for reading to the bottom here - you may be in a minority.

Please enter lots of items and have some fun with this. Good luck!

%Options%
Deadline-Offers: Friday, June 4th, 2010, 10:00 AM CDT
Deadline-Wants: Sunday, June 6th, 2010, 10:00 PM CDT
%End%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: High & Mighty - A higher value Math Trade - discussion thread
Please note that the following six items have been disqualified due to not meeting the minimum value requirements:

#260 - Cosmic Encounter (Eon)
#301 - Cosmic Encounter (Eon)
#458 - Successors (3rd edition)
#459 - Clash of Monarchs
#462 - Asia Engulfed
#504 - El Grande

Any want lists submitted for these items will be deleted.

=====

There's some doubt about #499 - 1853. This item is $60 new at B&B and this copy is new but has been opened. I've decided to not split hairs and allow this one to stand. I'll leave it up to the individual as to whether they want to put it on their want lists.

The following item was missing version information. It still qualifies valuewise but in the absence of this information please assume that it's the cheapest version when constructing your want lists:

#445 - Keythedral w/ Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FINAL RESULTS:

We did not receive want lists from the following people...

casterman (2 entries)
easterly1 (1)
herman_the_german (1)
mi_de (1)
rfoth (1)
Rompcat (1)
throwingmuse (2)
Verkisto (3) - told me yesterday that he wouldn't be submitting.

Items trading: 105
Trade percentage: 21.1%
Users trading: 70
Users not trading who submitted lists: 70

Results can be found here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm missing it, but how can I check BGG Market place history with respect to time? I thought the price history was simply a jumble of the entire history of the item, from when it was new until now....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:
Maybe I'm missing it, but how can I check BGG Market place history with respect to time? I thought the price history was simply a jumble of the entire history of the item, from when it was new until now....
The trick is that the item has to be added to the trade list first - then you can get that information through the OLWLG. Jeff built in links to all of those nice price tracking tools, including one which shows the sale prices and dates from the BGG Marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so careful to make sure that I didn't screw up the dates, because I always seem to do that. I had everything right. Then I get a message from my friend Bill who let me know that I had TWO "Key Dates" sections in there and one was copied from an old event... shake

Thanks Bill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Regai wrote:
The trick is that the item has to be added to the trade list first - then you can get that information through the OLWLG. Jeff built in links to all of those nice price tracking tools, including one which shows the sale prices and dates from the BGG Marketplace.
Is there a guide or steps you can post to do this? I know how to find it when items are already added to the list but not for items not listed yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, maybe y'all can help me with this. I'm sitting on a two-player Netrunner starter set with 315 loose cards (from 21 opened boosters) - all in mint condition - and I'm having trouble trying to valuate 'em.

I know that the starter normally goes for $20-$25 on eBay. The loose cards are trickier, since they aren't represented in the BGG Marketplace stats and they aren't available at most online retailers because the game is long out of print and difficult to come by. Naturally, however, Troll and Toad sells it.

I'm just not sure what pricing to follow. Individual 15-card boosters run $4.99 per pack (and doing the math, that comes to $0.33 per card.) On the other hand, the pricing for singles is much higher - $0.69 for common cards, between $1-$1.50 for uncommon cards, and between $3.00-$12.00 for rares. What should I do? I'm just looking for a ballpark value for the lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sicaria wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
Regai wrote:
Is there a guide or steps you can post to do this? I know how to find it when items are already added to the list but not for items not listed yet.
I don't know how to get access to that information in any other way. But it shouldn't be a question for many items. It only really matters if your item is (a) out of print and (b) a copy in similar condition hasn't sold in the marketplace for $60 or more.

In that case it would just be used is to see if there's been some considerable time since a copy was sold, which might increase the value in the eyes of the moderator (i.e. me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SleightOfHand wrote:
Alright, maybe y'all can help me with this. I'm sitting on a two-player Netrunner starter set with 315 loose cards (from 21 opened boosters) - all in mint condition - and I'm having trouble trying to valuate 'em.

I know that the starter normally goes for $20-$25 on eBay. The loose cards are trickier, since they aren't represented in the BGG Marketplace stats and they aren't available at most online retailers because the game is long out of print and difficult to come by. Naturally, however, Troll and Toad sells it.

I'm just not sure what pricing to follow. Individual 15-card boosters run $4.99 per pack (and doing the math, that comes to $0.33 per card.) On the other hand, the pricing for singles is much higher - $0.69 for common cards, between $1-$1.50 for uncommon cards, and between $3.00-$12.00 for rares. What should I do? I'm just looking for a ballpark value for the lot.
I'll bow to public opinion on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Sicaria wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
Regai wrote:
I don't know how to get access to that information in any other way. But it shouldn't be a question for many items. It only really matters if your item is (a) out of print and (b) a copy in similar condition hasn't sold in the marketplace for $60 or more.

In that case it would just be used is to see if there's been some considerable time since a copy was sold, which might increase the value in the eyes of the moderator (i.e. me).
I'm pretty sure there is a tool out there that Jeffy's OLWLG uses to get the historic pricing information. You do not have to have the game listed on the trade list to use it. I do not know the url of the tool though. I'm sure Jeff or someone else can chime in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Thompson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
Valar Dohaeris
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Sicaria wrote:

I don't know how to get access to that information in any other way.
http://www.spielboy.com/GeekPrices.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CyanideNow wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
Sicaria wrote:

That's the one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbuckingham wrote:
CyanideNow wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
Sicaria wrote:

That's the one!
Yeah but there's a second tool which just displays the BGG Marketplace listing (unless Jeff is perhaps parsing the information out of the spielboy data).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
mbuckingham wrote:
CyanideNow wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
Sicaria wrote:

That's the one!
Yeah but there's a second tool which just displays the BGG Marketplace listing (unless Jeff is perhaps parsing the information out of the spielboy data).
You can display just the BGG Marketplace (current) listings using the filters on the bottom (left) of the tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's true. I was wondering about what Jeff links to (or how he gets the list from) the icon that's a blue circle with a white dollar sign in it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the rules. Sure, this may reduce trades, but it is meant to be a high end game trade, not a geek gold or MSRP trade. While it is not perfect (as we have seen with the netrunner lot), I think the rules try to get at fair value for the games.

(my vote would be to let the netrunner lot meet the criteria).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will clearly have a significant impact on trades. A normal math trade can just as well have these high value items, and usually will.

I plan on participating. I hope that, due to the "higher value", more people will be willing to ship to Canada. I will wait a bit and see if this turns out to be another US only trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SleightOfHand wrote:

I'm pretty sure the whole lot would qualify. I'd just list the starter, the number of cards you have lose and the names of the rares.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
It will clearly have a significant impact on trades.
Absolutely. As I stated at the outset, I anticipate a low trade percentage because in an event like this people will tend to go grail hunting. Not so much the people who are putting together packages but more so the people putting up the $100+ games.

dcorban wrote:
A normal math trade can just as well have these high value items, and usually will.
With all of the math trades that I've run, that's not usually the case.

There will sometimes be some really nice things on offer but only a handful (at best) will ever trade. With much more of that ilk being offered, more of them will be traded. As I said, the percentage won't be great but hopefully we can get up to 8-10%.

dcorban wrote:
I plan on participating. I hope that, due to the "higher value", more people will be willing to ship to Canada. I will wait a bit and see if this turns out to be another US only trade.
Yeah, me too. I won't force anyone to ship to Canada, but I do urge people to be willing to do so, even if it's only offering to pay a portion of the shipping. It's really easy to fill out a customs form, and given the value of what you'll be getting in return it's worth the inconvenience of a trip to the post office IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulwyf wrote:
SleightOfHand wrote:

I'm pretty sure the whole lot would qualify. I'd just list the starter, the number of cards you have lose and the names of the rares.

-Will
Good call! That's what I'll do.

Smilinbrax wrote:
I love the rules. Sure, this may reduce trades, but it is meant to be a high end game trade, not a geek gold or MSRP trade.
In other words, it's a "Keep Your Tanga Trash To Yourself Trade".

This is a stretch, but has anybody run the numbers on the average value of the lots traded in a given math trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SleightOfHand wrote:
This is a stretch, but has anybody run the numbers on the average value of the lots traded in a given math trade?
Feel free to be the one spending weeks doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - just in case I choose to sleep in tomorrow, I'll open this up tonight. Have at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things.

- I'm not always sure about what should and shouldn't be checked for value, so if you see something that you question, please let me know and I will look into it.

- Please check the revision of the item you're unsure about. We've already had one item called into question when the person didn't read the entry properly and quoted the price of a newer, cheaper revision.

Thanks for all of your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smalley
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I need to turn in my geek-badge since very few entries excite me (cept fer 75 BnB bucks and maybe automobile)? Or, am I merely demonstrating the lack of a refined board game palate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |