Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Posting docs: MS-Word or PDF? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
What do people think is the best format to post a doc in (assuming just a text document, not a spreadsheet or PPT or what-not)? On the one hand, not everyone has MS-Word, or the same version. Word readers are available, but I don't know if they are available for all platforms. PDF's OTOH are somewhat universal, but they don't allow editing of the content.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OpenOffice.org.

Cross-platform and free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
PDF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
I definitely prefer pdf. You can be sure that the formatting of a pdf will be correct, and that just about everyone will be able to read them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United Kingdom
Madison
flag msg tools
I'll second the idea of PDF. Word docs just grate on my nerves (and you need more complex, if not more expensive software to view them). And yes, I know about word viewers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
more expensive software to view them

What? Free vs Free... how is that more expensive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone wants to edit your work, they can get the source from you.

And buy a copy of Acrobat for $300. Is there any free PDF stuff I'm not aware of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran F G
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
Café Race is a race game set in a business office. The players take the role of office workers going upstairs to the first floor to get a cup of coffee who then improvise a race while they are going back downstairs… with a cup full of coffee.
badge
Someone you trust is one of us. Fnord. - Ich bin ein Spielfreak, aber ich spiele sehr selten
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF
PDF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about RTF?
What about RTF vs. PDF? More universal than DOC, but still edit-able. My suspicions are that people will still prefer PDFs.....

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about HTML? That should be an acceptable alternative to PDF since everyone has a web browser.....in fact, I'd say it's more universal than PDF, AND has the advantage of being editable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second RTF as a format that should be considered. If it's originally from a word doc, it should save as RTF with no problems as long as you aren't using advanced word features.

If the file has specific formatting or vector graphics in it PDF is probably the best choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I *strongly* prefer Word format to .pdf. Another good option is .txt, if there's no formatting. PDF's are just too tricky to edit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PDFs
I love PDFs. Tey are cross platform. there are still many of us rebels who use Macs ( the superior computer )
Eventhough our Macs can open most PC files...formatting is often lost etc. Acrobat reader is free for anyone, so PDFs really are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami S
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OO & PDF
Why not just zip the PDF & the source in OO format? this way everyone is satisfied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taraba, you puzzle me. Your first post points to openoffice.org, whcich can create both DOC and PDF, but later you claim you need a $300 copy of Acrobat to edit PDFs. OO.org does both for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ASCII
If the choice is pdf vs doc, I'll take pdf. But if we are just talking about plain text documents, why not just use plain text. You get a tiny file that you can open and print anywhere. Don't use a more complicated tool than is necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
both
The point about pdf is that Open Office will export in .pdf but won't import it. So if I want to edit your pdf file, I need to buy Acrobat. The reader is free, the editor is dollars.

I'd like .txt or .doc but if you have pdf and can take the time and trouble to reproduce a manual, especially in colour, then I'm very grateful.

But if you're just doing a written translation, then I like the option to edit it and save it myself. So any basic text format will do. Ray's point about asking for the source is okay if it's fresh, but after a couple of years, can most people track down the source?

I appreciate anybody's efforts to translate rules, but if you're not sure what you're doing, then please put something in the text to show you weren't sure.

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can edit text!
Acrobat reader allows you to select the text and then copy it to word (etc). Just click on the "T" button which is the text select tool and select the text you want to copy. You may need to do a bit of formatting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF
I've been using Open Office for almost 2 years. Hope it becomes more prevalent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carey
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Free .doc to .pdf conversion is available at www.gobcl.com. I've used the service a lot, and it works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Free PDF writer
There is a free PDF writer at http://www.acrosoftware.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp. Haven't tried it myself though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct link
Doh
http://www.acrosoftware.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
PDF - Hands down
No need to get involved with Micro$oft shlock.
Free & ubiquitous viewer, free generation, built-in compression, non-platform dependent. No contest.

Second best is a plain text file, whether from Word or whatever flavor you use.

-creating cross-platform docs for 20 years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It Depends
I prefer a .PDF if the document has a lot of graphics and formatting. Anything else and either an .RTF or .TXT works just fine. I would avoid .DOC completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Viruses
I far prefer PDF because of the viruses that can ride in Doc format. (In fact, because of that I open all Doc files on the Internet in Open Office on a Linux box. Yeah, it doesn't get the formatting perfect, but I don't have to worry that my antivirus software is up to snuff either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.