GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,268 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Can Anyone Second Conquest of the Empire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Bob
msg tools
Hi Can Anyone Second Conquest of the Empire BoardGame?, and why?.

I'm looking for a historical game and as miniatures are fairly expensive and I want to be able to have a good historical battle game without spending too much money

PS: I don't want it to be like Risk

Thanks for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

Are you familiar with Axis & Allies in any of its various guises? The reason I ask is that I feel that Conquest of the Empire is best described to someone unfamiliar with it as "Roman Axis & Allies".

It's a fun game (with a very big, very bright board) but whether it fulfils your criteria of a "good historical battle game" rather depends on exactly what you mean by that!

The game includes infantry, cavalry, siege weapons and triremes as very nice figures, and while they don't actually function any differently from each other in battle, the rules do reward the use of combined arms.

The new version of the game includes two versions of the rules; the basic version is based on the original CotE, and it is very much a "Roman Axis & Allies" game. The advanced rules version includes a lot more - it has events, Senate voting, and political wheeling & dealing.

A very important element of the game is the "allying" mechanic. During each each of the four "war" turns, the players have to divide themselves into two factions and of course you cannot fight your allies during that war. Bidding decides who ends up on which side and you are able to bid other players into positions, not just yourself. Sometimes you'll want to be opposed to a player you want to attack, and sometimes you might want to be allied with them to ensure that they won't be attacking you while you focus on other things.

Hope these points have helped, one way or the other!

So many edits because it evidently takes my proof-reading gland longer to wake up than the rest of me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiddleMeThis wrote:
Hi Can Anyone Second Conquest of the Empire BoardGame?, and why?.

I'm looking for a historical game and as miniatures are fairly expensive and I want to be able to have a good historical battle game without spending too much money

PS: I don't want it to be like Risk

Thanks for your help

If you like Axis and Allies, I can second the ORIGINAL Conquest of the Empire (Gamemaster version).

The new one has two versions, the first called classic is a rehash of the original Gamemaster version...BUT the combat system is a LOT like Risk instead of Axis and Allies, and due to the pricing of any unit but Catapults...Broken overall (some called the original broken due to the power of catapults, but it's nothing compared to how broken the new one is where you'll pay 8X the cost for an item that really doesn't have the benefits equal to it's cost).

However these prices are lowered for the second game included (and if you use these prices instead for the "Classic" version included, it can start to balance out it's combat system for it's unit balance) and is the better of the two...it is also the better game of the two included (primarily due to the imbalance of costs for the classic version included) as the combat system is made to work with this version, and overall it's more fun.

Personally the original is one of my favorite games. It captures a historical flavor of the Roman Empire era...BUT it's about as historical as the movie Gladiator...meaning maybe it has some of the flavor, but it doesn't really resemble the reality of history at all. It feels like you are battling in the Roman Era...but realistically it's not really going to have any real basis for when or what is occurring as for the original and classic versions of the game. (Last I checked the Romans didn't have armies of Catapults roaming the countryside, nor were they limited on their legions and how to separate them...etc.)

In that regard the influence idea of the new Conquest of the Empire II probably has more realism...in regards to how much realism the movie 300 had to the actual battle...which is to say...not much...but at least it had a stronger historical basis then Gladiator. It has more of the political and warfare struggles in the game.

I'd still say Conquest of the Empire is an excellent choice, either one of the versions that you pick up...BUT

For a more historical flavored game that's easy to grasp I'd probably suggest Memoir 44, or Command and Colors Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COTE, and Axis and Allies, are often described as "Risk on steroids." Since that seems important, steer clear.

If you want a large-scale game, and don't want it to be too complicated, the Risk problem is a big factor. If you want a tactical game, then look at Commands & Colors: Ancients, Memoir '44, and Glory III.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, "not risk" isn't much to go on. I will say this much about CotE:
1) It comes with not one, but TWO different rule sets.
2) The first ruleset is based on the 1984 game of the same name. In short, it's dated. There are much better games.
3) The second ruleset is almost exactly the same as Struggle of Empires. Which is basically a good thing, as that's considered a good game by many. However...
4) The CotE map is ill-suited for Struggle of Empires version of the rules.
5) Combat in CotE has more luck than SoE. But you could certainly play by SoE's combat rules if you like.
So in general, I find CotE to be inferior to Struggle of Empires. Although the latter just feels a bit heavier for some reason. Don't know if that's what you're going after or not.

But if you're interested in either of those, you should also be aware that the whole system has been revised (mostly for the better I think) in Rise of Empires. I cannot say that RoE is better than SoE in all respects, but I do think it's probably a better place to start, especially since SoE if basically out of print, and thus hand to find and/or expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
A question for you, Bobby: what about Risk don't you like? That will help everybody with their suggestions to you! The more specific you can get, the better.

Conquest of the Empire is a good game to play, particularly with the "II" rules that are like Struggle of Empires, as Curt mentioned. It works best, however, with 4 or 6 players, because of the alliance mechanic. It is great for, as others have mentioned, historical "flavor" and "feel," but not exactly historicity.

Another game you might want to research is A Brief History of the World. It goes through several epochs and spans thousands of years. Empires start in historical starting positions, and though what you do with them is up to you, there are still some of the same factors in play that affected their historical decisions (e.g. terrain like mountains and forests, where other empires were already occupying, the richness of the land and the presence of resources, and where they could reach with their sea navigation technology).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Ämmälä
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of the Empire is a good game...

However very similar (different theme/timeframe) Struggle of Empires is a superior game which improves CotE's gameframe into much better.

On the other hand CotE has plastic figures...(which is practically negative for me but positive for some....)

.mikko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.