tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Tabletop RPG playerMicrobadge: HeroQuest fanMicrobadge: Frozen meeples all around!Microbadge: Autism Awareness
like the title says, what is everyones opinion on the order in which expansions should be played? Playing through the main quest book usually always comes first, but then what?

would you put the dark company before kellars keep or the witch lord? or after?

i think the ogre horde looks harder than wizards of morcar and should maybes be kept till last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Microbadge: One Degree Of Separation participantMicrobadge: Stabcon AttendeeMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: Gnostic
The clue is in the background text, which indicates:
Basic Game - Kellars Keep - Return of the Witch-Lord - Against the Ogre Horde - Wizards of Morcar.

As The Dark Company and the US packs are a n order of magnitude harder, most people put these at the end, with the various magazine quests spread throughout as whole thing as appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Tabletop RPG playerMicrobadge: HeroQuest fanMicrobadge: Frozen meeples all around!Microbadge: Autism Awareness
cheers for the quick reply slev

thats the order our DM said as well. of course being a player im not allowed to look in the books and read the stories.

I just kinda want to do the dark company because it looks cool! If all you ever bought was the advanced quest game box this is how you would have to do it.

i dont think our characters can really get any better then they are after the first book? or is there more they can get? otherwise difficulty is pretty moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Microbadge: One Degree Of Separation participantMicrobadge: Stabcon AttendeeMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: Gnostic
If you're playing purely the UK version, then the addition of Men-at-Arms in WoM makes things easier, as does the extra spells from the same set. Otherwise, search lots and husband the potions you find.

You could also suggest to your GM, my re-jig:
http://www.freewebs.com/heroquestrevised

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
i had no idea that was yours. In fact i think i know you from chaos dwarf forums (my username torn) among other things, probably read a lot of your stuff on the space hulk message board.

my brother seems to like your version of the rules, i myself find bits of it overcomplicate things. We wont be adding body points to the monsters, but will be to all monster characters and possibly big monsters like gargoyle.

some of those quests at the end of the revised quest book look pretty damn difficult.

i think we are going on with kellars keep next, although chances are with ebay prices and the difficulty of printing things out right we will more than likely be making up a whole lot of our own quests. 2 or 3 parters which will last 1 session each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Yup, that's me on CDO.

the idea of the rules re-write was to clarify rather than complicate. The idea was to change the expression of the rules to remove ambiguity. I'd be interested to hear what you find over-complicated.

the Quests towards the end should be difficult. The players are building up their characters abilities through the game, so things would get easier. They also get better at the game tactically. Making the quests harder balances things out.

Of course, starting at the end would be suicide...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Quest
msg tools
PRECISE ORDER

European version:

-HERO QUEST
-KELLAR'S KEEP
-RETURN OF THE WITCH LORD
-ADVENTURE DESIGN KIT
-AGAINST THE OGRE HORDE
-WIZARDS OF MORCAR
-HERO QUEST ADVANCED QUEST EDITION (THE DARK COMPANY)

American version:

-HERO QUEST GAME SYSTEM
-KELLAR'S KEEP AMERICAN
-RETURN OF THE WITCH LORD AMERICAN
-BARBARIAN QUEST PACK
-ELF QUEST PACK

You CANNOT mix the expansions of these 2 versions each other, they are 2 different games !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Despite the shouting, you *can* mix the expansions, but it takes a little work, as the two versions of the game are slightly different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Microbadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: I'm a walking billboard. (Now leasing.)Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Herculean Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Suffers from Psychomagnesis - I attract crazy women
Slev wrote:
Despite the shouting, you *can* mix the expansions, but it takes a little work, as the two versions of the game are slightly different.
Playing the euro expacs with american rules/stats makes them much harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls