GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,743 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: 9 attacks and a throne room rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim meyer
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, has anyone played a game with nine attack cards and a throne room? I've wanted to give it a try but needless to say, my group has been... hesitant.
I'm thinking something along the lines of throne room, thief, ambassador, pirate ship, witch, saboteur, militia, cutpurse, sea hag, swindler....or whichever attacks are least beneficial to you and most destructive to others...I guess throwing in an embargo wouldn't be a bad idea either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking that unless someone goes on a pure money strategy, and i mean PURE money strategy, this could get ugly very quickly. As in the game doesn't ever end and nobody wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
unixrevolution wrote:
...the game doesn't ever end and nobody wins.

Nonsense. Curses, Copper, and Estates -- 3 piles empty, game over. Been there, done that.

Emptying copper just to kill the game? I can't imagine even four players ever voluntarily taking that much copper for any other reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my group played an all attack game once, just to see what would happen. It was chaotic and far more random than your typical dominion game. It went a little slow but the game did end, and no one bought all the coppers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kadorn1007 wrote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone played a game with nine attack cards and a throne room? I've wanted to give it a try but needless to say, my group has been... hesitant.

This isn't World in Flames -- it should only take you half an hour to find out! laugh

Wild guess: With the above attacks adding Curses and removing Coppers from the decks, players will go after Estates. I don't think there are any cards in your setup that are two-cost, so Estates will be one of the few "safe" cards not affected by any of the Attack cards you mentioned.

For a four-player game, I think Militia (or Cutpurse?) would be a good early game card (since the coins it grants cannot be taken by Thief or Pirate Ship), maybe Pirate Ship and a Curse Attack as well. Then, as Curses clog up decks and Treasure disappears from decks, use Pirate Ship and Militia to buy Estates. Most Attack cards are terminal actions, so just buying a few Attack cards and then Estates may be all you need to do.

I think Torturer and Tribute are more fun, though. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
Emptying copper just to kill the game? I can't imagine even four players ever voluntarily taking that much copper for any other reason.

I wouldn't have believed it either, except I recently had a game where Copper did run out. Unfortunately I don't recall the Kingdom cards, other than Garden and that it was a set that made purchases much above 4 hard. First and only time. (I saw Silver run out once, but I put that down to that the game was new then and people were learning.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim meyer
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
kadorn1007 wrote:

This isn't World in Flames -- it should only take you half an hour to find out! laugh

Wild guess: With the above attacks adding Curses and removing Coppers from the decks, players will go after Estates. I don't think there are any cards in your setup that are two-cost, so Estates will be one of the few "safe" cards not affected by any of the Attack cards you mentioned.

For a four-player game, I think Militia (or Cutpurse?) would be a good early game card (since the coins it grants cannot be taken by Thief or Pirate Ship), maybe Pirate Ship and a Curse Attack as well. Then, as Curses clog up decks and Treasure disappears from decks, use Pirate Ship and Militia to buy Estates. Most Attack cards are terminal actions, so just buying a few Attack cards and then Estates may be all you need to do.

I think Torturer and Tribute are more fun, though. laugh

Maybe I should just rename the thread, "most annoying card set-ups", lol... I wonder what would happen if I took out the witch and sea hag and added in the embargo....cause then you could just embargo the estates AND the coppers w/o fear of running out of curses laugh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim meyer
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
I am thinking that unless someone goes on a pure money strategy, and i mean PURE money strategy, this could get ugly very quickly. As in the game doesn't ever end and nobody wins.

yeah, I guess a good strategy might be to buy up duchy points while you can....until the duchies get swindled or sabotaged or....wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaka Zulu
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With swindler and saboteur in the setup, the game is pretty fast. 3 piles empty much quicker than some village games.

We played it once and the one with the most estates won. The more attacks and the more players you have the more likely the game will end sooner because of the 3 empty piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B.
msg tools
kadorn1007 wrote:
I guess throwing in an embargo wouldn't be a bad idea either...

I find that Embargo is rather weak if you're dealing out Curses some other way. You may get a round or two where people dodge the Embargo tokens, but then it becomes irrelevant after a few Witches and Sea Hags.
Though I guess it's a good addition to make a stack of attack-related cards from which to select 10 at random, maybe get it in place of a Witch. You could make a case for adding Masquerade to such a mix, too.

If I was to try this, I'd suggest 8 randomly chosen attacks and 2 randomly chosen VP cards. Then there's something to consider if the attacks keep you from hitting even 5 coin for Duchies, and the attacking strategy itself is a bit more interesting since it's not just about keeping money low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.