GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,403 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Antiquity» Forums » General

Subject: Antiquity or Through the ages? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting Antiquity for a while. But it is currently OOP and going for 2-3 times its normal price of $100.

So since TTA is available and under $100, that will most likley be the deciding factor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
I've been looking for a good civ game and have had my eye on both this and Through the Ages. What thinks youse?

Antiquity I like better, but it isn't civilization game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marliv wrote:
KissaTaikuri wrote:
I've been looking for a good civ game and have had my eye on both this and Through the Ages. What thinks youse?

Antiquity I like better, but it isn't civilization game.

I thinks that both games are somewhere between good and great, Antiquity I like better for various reasons. Antiquity is not a "pure" civ game, but there are so many common elements, that the differences are unimportant.

Yeah, the deciding factor will likely be the $70 price tag for TTA, versus $2-300 for Antiquity: you could buy 3-4 TTA's for that price! I luckily got a copy a few years ago when they were still available.

If money's not a concern, you will probably be well off just buying both. They're different enough to scratch a different itch, and are both games worth playing.

If you can justify spending $200 but not $270, I'd go with Antiquity, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, two of my favorite games. Can't go wrong here, but you'll find TTA to be quite a bit less expensive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teemu Salohalme
Finland
Imatra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, Antiquity. But it depends on what you think about luck in games. In Through The Ages there's plenty, in Antiquity, none. That is why I prefer the latter.

Though, I must admit, my main reason for disliking Though The Ages are the wars: I'd like to just build up my little civilization without a fear of brutal attacks. Maybe I should really try the No Wars Variant.

But still, there's luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, and I like Antiquity a million times better. I didn't get any feeling of "building up" in TtA, it just wasn't as satisfying. Antiquity felt like I had a lot more choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.