GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Using music during video reviews. A Poll. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made a number of video reviews over the last few years. During some videos I have had music underneath pretty much the entire video such as in my review of Arkham Horror (video review of Arkham Horror) (arguably my most popular video that I have made). However I usually only put music in sections of the video where I am not talking, such as in my review of Stone Age (Stone Age video review - all in under 7 minutes!) as a number of people have objected quite strongly that I should get rid of the audio as it distracts them from trying to hear what I am saying (even though I feel that I have the same audio balance as the Arkham Horror video which has music under the entire video).

Please let me know your preference.

Poll
Should video reviews use music behind the audio/dialogue?
Yes I think it adds to the enjoyment of watching the video.
No I think it should only be kept for sections that don't include dialogue.
      39 answers
Poll created by Kerbster76

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want people to not hear what you're saying? Then have music and voice simultaneously.

Why not have two video tracks superimposed over each other, obscuring the video so you can see neither?

And why aren't these letters I'm typing superimposed on each other? It would be way cooler if theses sentences all mixed together.

I have no idea why this insane practice started, and persists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the audio levels are set correctly you can hear both the music and the audio. Being a short film maker and editor I often look at movies from a different point of view. The recent Star Wars movies pretty much have some form of music for the entire length of the movie, however it didn't mean you couldn't hear the dialogue. If done correctly it can greatly enhance the atmosphere of the video/film. Done poorly and you can't hear what is being said which I could understand would be very frustrating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.