Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Game types that you like and why you like them rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this, you get to define a type of game and what you like about that type; I'll start with 4 types I really like (note: I am using types very loosely here) - there has to be more than one game in the "type" that you get to define:

Great Travel Games: by these I mean small size, easy to take with you type games. My favorites of these are the Kosmos 2-player series. They are outstanding game-play (I haven't found any I haven't liked, but then I use the 'geek to help me determine what I like). I personally have Hellas, Druidenwalzer, and Babel. A good friend of mine has Kahuna. Close behind this are the slightly bixer "half" box size Kosmos games - I have Bali and Tyros.

Great Looking Games: I am a sucker for abstracts in this category, and the GIPF-series seems to be the best in my book.

Great Theme Games: I would have to say the Mexica, Tikal, Java series. As a series - they just have great presentation of the theme through their chrome. Mexica is probably my favorite at the moment out of these.

Great games for the book shelf: all of the 3M series, they stand upright really nice and have that great feeling of a book to some degree: ploy and Twixt being my two favorites, although I have many others.

I could have done this in a geek list, but I really didn't feel like dealing with photos and such... Just lazy after a day of work and being lombasted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
United States
scotia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
game types i like
Games with multiple ways to score points: this fits games that fit in other categories also but i love games where there are multiple ways to score. Games like through the desert, emerald, carcassonne

Games with multiple ways to win: Games like LOTR: the confrontation, zombies

games with multiple actions per turn: what can i say i like a lot of choices. games like: cartagena, emerald, tony & tino, TTD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maps
I like games with maps. It's fun wandering around a map with an individual token or pushing armies across the map in a wave of conquests. Some of my favorite game maps can be found in War of the Ring, The American Civil War, Axis and Allies, and Divine Right. I even like the map for Risk, which is an otherwise mediocre game. Who hasn't had the thrill of pushing a big pile of little plastic pieces across asia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Derscheid
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like...
games where commodities fluctuate in value:

Merchant of Venus (Values rise as bonus markers come out of the cup)
San Juan (Silver is king, 3 times out of 5)
Puerto Rico (okay, this is a stretch)
Fische Fluppen Frikadellen (Remember to lower the market when you trade in commodity tokens. We missed this rule in our first game.)
Medici (The "value" of each good fluctuates relative to each player's position.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excitement
The feature I thînk most important in games is the excitement level. In wargames I like that surprise attack that changes around the momentum of the game. I also like the trick move (I am thinking of Wiz War) that completely destroys your opponenets best laid plans.

I hate games that require a game long plan that you can not deviate from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great "types" here

I love the map concept too, especially ones that maybe focus on an area of the world I want to learn more about (even if I don't really learn anything); Hansa is an example.

Teh excitement of a surpise move always seems to a good one. San Juan and Puerto Rico is a good one; Attila also sems to have this level of excitement as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bits and Bites
I like good bits - like the map in Mare Nostrum or the spice bags in Goa, the gems in Maharaja, etc. I also like multiple ways to win - Carcassonne, Goa, for example.

AND I definitely like games that are fun to play with 2 or 6. That helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like games where each player has a different (and unique) ability or group of abilities. Cosmic Encounter and Magic Realm are two of my favorite games.

I have a long history with role-playing games, which is probably why I like having a sense of individuality in a game. Also, a broad number of powers gives the game a lot of variety and replayability. I find that these types of games inspire creativity like no others -- whenever a game has unique player abilities, players often want to make up new ones.

Other games that fit the type: Magic the Gathering, Lost Worlds, Talisman, HeroScape. Apparently, this category goes hand in hand with the fantasy theme. Wargames might fit also, especially games like Squad Leader and Wizard Kings (fantasy....), both of which give players a lot of different armies to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like resource management and similar games. Particularly games where you have a choice of things to buy/upgrade or similar that are all going to provide you with different other things or abilities. Like St Petersburg, PR and hopefully Roads and Boats (my Xmas present :-) I just like the feeling of having those sort of options. (Which is odd because I hate shopping!)

San Juan didn't impress me though, for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sucker for good looks
Hadn't thought about this but I guess I'm a sucker for good looking components, but only as long as they're accompanied by good mechanics and play.

Settlers, El Grande, Carcassonne, and Ticket to Ride come to mind when I think of great components and good looks combined with nice mechanics and play.

As for game mechanics:
I think I'm beginning to realize I don't like bidding games so much. I like basic resource management and tile-laying. Someone else mentioned liking games where players have different capabilities but I find it a pain to have to remember what everyone can do in a game like that. I guess I'm old cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
social games
I'm a sucker for a game that can get 10 very different people together laughing and having fun.

Sorry brain burners, but party games will always have a special place with me.

I don't like that silent "library-ness" to some games, when people get together I want them talking, laughing, maybe even moving around some.

When's the last time you felt frantic over a game of PR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt frantic last time I played PR, but I get your poijnt ;-) I like Crainium quite a bit myself... (As an XMAS gag stocking stuffer - I am going to buy my wife and I inflatable crainium hats...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.