GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,453 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
74 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #247 - Outside Lime rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
As my GotW tenure comes to an end, I would like to welcome Josh Cappel (aka Outside Lime) as the two hundred and forty seventh Geek of the Week.

Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Although I've never met Josh, I am familiar with his graphic design, most notably the outstanding box cover art for Wasabi! and Endeavor. So without further ado, I'll let Josh introduce himself...

Outside Lime wrote:
Hello everyone,

Josh here. How to begin? Thanks to Simon for picking me, that’s a good start. Geek of the Week, wow! Next I will run for Geek of the Month, and a short string of victories later I just might take home the coveted Geek of the Century award. Sky’s the limit!

Maybe a brief bit about me, then on to some gaming stuff: I’m Canadian from Toronto, I’m married to a beautiful and game-tolerant wife with one adorable and too-young-for-games-yet son, and I’m 34. How’s that for brief?

I’m a graphic designer by trade, my work these days is about 80% game-related; some of you may know that already from seeing my work on a few games around here. You can visit this link to see the list if you’re interested.

Games have been in my life for a long time but I didn’t really start digging into the hobby till about five years ago. Before that, my experience was limited to the mass-market classics with a particular focus on Axis & Allies. Even without any inkling about the greater universe of gaming that existed out there, I was always tinkering with existing games and inventing new games on my own. I barely believe it when I say it, but I literally dropped out of university to work on a board game project. Before I even knew what a meeple was. Well, that and they asked me not to come back. Same thing, right?

In 2004 or so I discovered the Board Game Designer’s Forum at www.bdgf.com, and from there, I found here. The BGDF opened my eyes to the scope of the hobby and I started diligently hunting for and playing the great games that other aspiring designers referenced in many many conversations about theme, mechanisms, motivations, probabilities, player behavior, component streamlining, visual design, rulebook construction, and all the many intricacies about how to hopefully make a game work, and how to make it fun.

Settlers was the first and remains the greatest in the eyes of the dozens of people who have learned it through me. I consider myself a mere lowly insect amongst the many Gods of Geekdom that frequent this site, but to my friends I am the Game Guy. I own the games, I bring the games, I teach the games. Sometimes, I even win the games.

The art thing was a natural step for me. I was already working as a graphic designer in the Toronto film industry… props, signage, backdrops, etc. Hanging around on BGDF I would message anyone who seemed close to securing a publishing deal and would send them samples for their game. “Pass these along to the publisher if you want, and see if they’ll hire me on the project.” My first full game project was Conquest of the Fallen Lands for startup publisher ASSA Games. Shortly thereafter, Z-Man Games bit for René Wiersma’s Gheos. From there I established a great working relationship with Z-Man that continues to this day, and that has blossomed into relationships with many other publishers and some of the greatest designers in the business.

I really believe that a game’s play experience can be improved significantly through creative visual design that understands what players need. Hand in hand with that is rulebook clarity. I spend an inordinate amount of time and effort on the rulebooks for the games that I work on, and I hope it shows. I’m trying to learn with every project… yes I have made plenty of mistakes along the way but the goal is to never make the same one twice.

This has gotten really long, so I’ll stop pre-answering the questions I am guessing you will ask, and just wait and see what actually comes.

Oh yeah, two truths and a lie. Hmmm…

1. I can’t think of anything good.
2. I’m pretty late with this so I’d better just wing it and pass it off to Simon.
3. Nobody reads this part anyway.

~Josh

And to get the ball rolling, here are some questions to start you off...

1. Is there a story behind your geek user name Outside Lime?

2. What is it about Axis and Allies that you love so much?

3. If you were no longer allowed to play scrabble, is there another word game you would play in its place?

4. Of the top ranked games, which 3 have you not played yet that you would like to give a try?

5. If you could keep only one game in your game collection, which would it be?

(Edit: Inserted Josh's Avatar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside Lime wrote:

3. Nobody reads this part anyway.

Congrats! This is the lie for sure - and I've just proven it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Josh!

I was just packing up games for this afternoon's local meetup. Two games that I always bring along are Wasabi! and Pandemic with On the Brink. Love the artwork for both of these. I especially enjoy the hand-painted look of the planet in Pandemic. It contrasts nicely with the serious tone of the game. It adds a warmth that would be lacking with a straight map.

Any plans for expanding Wasabi? It would be nice to be able to add a fifth player from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations.

My question: My wife wants sushi tonight. What would you suggest I order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside Lime wrote:

In 2004 or so I discovered the Board Game Designer’s Forum at www.bdgf.com

Tsk, Tsk. Your first act as geek of the week and you mistyped the web address. Not a promising sign for your planned Geek of the Century run.

Seriously, congratulations. Although your two truths and a lie were a bit lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb

Wonderful!!

Congrats, and enjoy your week in the spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Josh,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Grats, Josh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Dahlbäck
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I transposed the g and the g in ww.bgdf.com above. Could you fix it for me? Thanks! (edit: someone already pointed it out while I was typing this up... oh the shame... my campaign will never recover from this scandal.)

Now to the questions:

Quote:
1. Is there a story behind your geek user name Outside Lime?

1. New Years, late 90s. Me and some friends out at the cottage, snowed in but having a good time nonetheless. Someone starts tossing a lemon around, and soon it becomes a game. Before you know it, we're all spread out around the cottage and banking the fruit off of walls, cabinets, and rolling it down halls and around corners to get it to each other. Eventually the lemon is bounced to a soggy pulp that is a threat to carpets, walls, and eyeballs. Next day, we take the game outside into the snow, but we're out of lemons....

Quote:
2. What is it about Axis and Allies that you love so much?

2. Axis & Allies was the first real strategy game that I ever played. It sparked my interest in WWII and in game design; Larry Harris is certainly the first game designer whose name I was aware of. I still play A&A but naturally I have created a monster homebrew version that continues to develop and refine today. The board is 3’ x 6’. We have created tons of new units and rules. We play it mostly by email these days; with a nation or two taking a turn per day, the games still last several months each. Here’s an image of the game board in starting positions:

Quote:
3. If you were no longer allowed to play scrabble, is there another word game you would play in its place?

3. I don’t know, nothing else really seems to compare but then I haven’t tried much beyond Boggle and Upwords. Scrabble kind of ruined me for all other word games. Any suggestions?

Quote:
4. Of the top ranked games, which 3 have you not played yet that you would like to give a try?

4. Twilight Struggle. Despite having worked on three of Jason Matthews’ subsequent designs, I have never played the mighty TS. Through The Ages. I likes me some epic civ-building. Dungeon Lords. I own it but have not yet been able to get it to the table.

Quote:
5. If you could keep only one game in your game collection, which would it be?

5. Hard to say. Does the monster homebrew Axis & Allies count? If yes, then that. If no, then maybe this current game design of my own that I am working on that I love. If that also doesn’t count, then pragmatically I’d have to choose Settlers because at least lots of people would play it with me. If we dispense with pragmatism then I’d choose Endeavor right now because we're getting a lot of mileage out of it and I am enjoying exploring different paths to victory, but I’d sneak Wings of War: The Dawn of WWII into the box because it's been a big hit lately with non-gamer buddies.

I'll get to more when I get a minute later... got some hot game art projects on the go that need love and attention!

~Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love my copy of Wasabi! Thanks for the design, Josh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Kirk
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Josh! Long overdue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mb
Welcome to the Club!

Favorite Ameritrash game?

Favorite Eurotrash game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your favourite Dexterity game?

What's your favourite Card game?

What's your favourite Racing game?

What's your favourite Tile Laying game?

What's your favourite Abstract game?

What's your favourite Area Control game?

What's your favourite Co-operative game?

What's your favourite Dice Rolling game?

What's your favourite Dungeon-Crawl game?

What's your favourite Sci-Fi themed game?

What's your favourite Horror themed game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Erniepaul wrote:
Congratulations Josh!

I was just packing up games for this afternoon's local meetup. Two games that I always bring along are Wasabi! and Pandemic with On the Brink. Love the artwork for both of these. I especially enjoy the hand-painted look of the planet in Pandemic. It contrasts nicely with the serious tone of the game. It adds a warmth that would be lacking with a straight map.

Any plans for expanding Wasabi? It would be nice to be able to add a fifth player from time to time.

Thanks Ernie! I must clarify however that the painted elements (board, roles, and box art) for Pandemic were created by Régis Moulun. I'm more of a graphic designer and illustrator than a painter, but I have been working to improve that aspect and the next few games you see from me will feature some painted art.

Adam and I do have an expansion in the works for Wasabi but I'm not certain if it'll make it to print. We haven't yet discussed any plans for adding players to the game, but now that you mention it, I'll bring it up at our next jam session!

~Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
Congratulations.

My million-dollar suggestion would be that you ask her directly instead of some stranger on a board game website.

~Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I dig in I really have to say that I don't game so much. Once a week is about average, and much of the time I'm testing my own designs with friends and family. Plus my collection is not the most expansive in the world and my friends are non-hardcore gamers who don't have the interest in trying game after game like I do. Mostly they settle on a game they like and play the heck out of it for months until I can convince them to finally try something new. But I'll try:

1p: I don't play any solo games. When I have nobody to game with I usually work on my own designs. Ironically one of my hotplate designs right now is a solo game.

2p: My Axis & Allies homebrew mentioned above. Wow I'm seeming a little obsessed with that I think.

3p: I'm liking Stone Age right now for 3. Seems about right.

4p: Caylus is strong with my group and 4p is typical for us. Endeavor also chugs along nicely with 4.

5p: Settlers of Catan hits the sweet spot at 5p on the 5-6p board.

6p: Wings of War Dawn of WWII! Fun fun fun.

7p: Once you get to 7 or more players I really advocate splitting into 2 games.

Quote:
Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships: Terra Prime. Customize your ship and head out into space to colonize, ship, fight, and explore. Love it.

Witches: Um, pass.

Trains: Ticket to Ride. That's a pretty easy call.

Transport (may include trains): Axis & Allies. Logistics is king.

Workers (paid or otherwise): Stone Age. The workers in Stone Age are so hard core that they start work immediately after being born. That's bad ass, people.

Trading: Settlers of Catan. Once you reconcile starting position advantage, trading is really the key to winning this game.

Building: Puerto Rico. University? Should I ever waste my money on a University?

Pink: Norenberc... coming soon from White Goblin Games!

Theme: Founding Fathers (Just you guys wait.)

Ships: Endeavor. Shipping is accomplished by ships, so there you go.

Money: Monopoly... is that weird? I never play it but it is the first one that popped into my head.

Purple: Pandemic: On The Brink. Everyone knows purple diseases are the most contagious.

Government: 1960: The Making of the President. Everything I know about the American electoral process I learned from this game. Embarrassingly not an exaggeration.

Vampires: Dungeon Lords. Reading the excellent rulebook in the hopes of getting some people to play this with me. Love the art and the rules presentation.

Infrastructure: Puerto Rico. Nothing like getting your engine up and running just in time for the game to end. I mean, I like the game and I understand why it ends when it does, but don't you just always want it to go on for another round or two?

Dice: RISK. The sound of dice clattering for hours on end has filled many a cottage weekend.

Dinosaurs: It's a secret. But you're going to love it.

Gemstones: Nothing comes to mind.

Dragons: Dungeons $ Dragons. I played this in like grade 5. More as an excuse to stay inside during lunch recess. Canadian winters, y'dig. I never really understood what I was supposed to be doing but I sure liked creating a character and shopping for his gear at the store. 10-foot pole? Why not! Spring Heel Jacks? I'll take 'em!

Beer: Goldbrau. Bought this for a buddy and then never played it.

Wands: Wands? I dunno, Dungeon Twister?

Quote:
Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Yes, for sure. I would like to recommend Gheos by René Wiersma. A vicious little brain burner of a game where you are uncompassionate gods sundering and forming continents for your own glory. Plays quick and rewards merciless aggression. Very satisfying as a filler or as several games in a series.

Quote:
Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?

1. My Axis & Allies homebrew is constantly running.
2. My own almost-finished game design which will remain un-named for now but hopefully not for long. I will say that my old buddies from BGDF will recognize it from back in the day.
3. Scrabble (Usually have a game-in-progress going with the wife)
4. Stone Age
5. Terra Prime

Wow, that took a while. Back to work!

~Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside Lime wrote:
daveroswell wrote:
Congratulations.

My million-dollar suggestion would be that you ask her directly instead of some stranger on a board game website.

~Josh

I should have edited...what should I order for myself. I've been married to my wife for 15 years; I would never presume to order for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Great username!!!! congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Josh. Some questions based on your user profile:

1. I own Axis & Allies but have never played it. Can you convince me in three sentences to play this game before I trade it away?

2. Re: 1960: The Making of the President, you claim "I could never find a crack in the system that they hadn't already considered and solved." Yet playing this on Games Table Online (1 min turns) the Issues Track is in fact a big, big crack - you can win the game by ONLY placing on the Issue Track. Have you come up against this, er, issue at all? Great art for this game, by the way.

3. What game's artwork would you love to re-implement?

4. Is there any board game artist you are insanely jealous of?

5. My workmate who sits next to me is a Canadian who imports Dill Pickle Pringles. Are they the most awesome chip ever or do you have another you can recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Josh, I am a big fan of your graphic design work on games like the ASSA games, Gheos, and Wasabi!

I have 2 questions:

1. Now that you are getting work on bigger games for Z-man, do you still see yourself doing work for smaller games or independent publishers like the ASSA games? Do you scale the amount you charge designers according to how big or successful the game will be?

2. How did you end up collaborating with another designer for Wasabi, and what nature was the collaboration (who's idea was it, and what did each designer contribute)? Is this something you see yourself doing more of in the future?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
Welcome to the Club!

Favorite Ameritrash game?

Favorite Eurotrash game?

Thanks!

For Ameritrash I simply must be loyal to Axis & Allies and its expansions and mutations.

For Eurotrash it's hard to pick. Different games for different reasons, you know? Caylus, Tigris & Euphrates, and Endeavor are all candidates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
What's your favourite X game?

What's your favourite Dexterity game? Crokinole. Don't have much experience with dexterity games beyond that.

What's your favourite Card game? Poker. I have a weekly game, although the hanging out is really more important than the card playing. Still.

What's your favourite Racing game? Can't say I can identify a favourite racing game. If I had to pick one from my collection that's a race I would say Jamaica, but not because of the game. More because of the art & production, which blows me away.

What's your favourite Tile Laying game? I like Wasabi, and Tigris & Euphrates, and Gheos. All great for different reasons.

What's your favourite Abstract game? Chess or Backgammon. Also I designed a game called Shutri that is a sweet little 10-minute abstract which is perfect for the beach or cottage.

What's your favourite Area Control game? I feel like a broken record here but Axis & Allies.

What's your favourite Co-operative game? Pandemic. Great challenging fun with the right group.

What's your favourite Dice Rolling game? Memoir '44. I like other games better that involve dice, but I really like the symbol system here for combat resolution. It just feels right.

What's your favourite Dungeon-Crawl game? Not a pure dungeon crawl, but I like the puzzle ofDungeon Twister. That being said, I don't think I've ever actually played a true dungeon crawl even though I think I'd really really like to. What would be my best bet to dip my toes in this genre?

What's your favourite Sci-Fi themed game? As stated before I am loving Terra Prime right now. I know there were manufacturing issues but the game really shines.

What's your favourite Horror themed game? Don't have one.

Thanks for all of the questions!

~Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.