GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Being a n00b rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yeah, I'm new to BGG, and I basically have no idea what I am doing. Whenever doing Google searches and stuff for my favorite games, I often find that this is the best place to get information, so I thought I would try to make an account and see how it went. So...anything I should know before getting all up in your threads? I'd appreciate any kind of advice. Thanks.

BTW, if anyone wants to know anything about me, I live in Eagan (St. Paul), MN, I'm 16, and I'm a Christian. My favorite board/card game of all time is Dominion, but I also have played and enjoy lots of games, such as Race for the Galaxy, Carcassone, Bang, Family Business, and many others. I'm not really very good at any of those though.

Oh, and I'm a geek, but you probably already knew that.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kuha
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I can tell we are going to be mortal enemies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek!

Have a thumb! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! One more thumb and I can start a band!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup There you go.

Welcome!

Have a too while we're at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Have a pirate!
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG young man!

I hope your experiences here are good ones!

The best advice I can give you is if and/or when you feed your first troll (you may not know what I mean until after the fact), don't let it get you down. All users make this innocent mistake at some point. Some actually enjoy it, others do not learn from it. Think of it like going to a National Park and feeding a bear for the first time and all the wackiness that ensues! shake

If you are still confused, a troll is "type" of personality. But, don't worry they are mostly harmless, more bark than bite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Welcome, Jeremy. About the only advice I can give you is to be polite, but it's clear from your initial post that you appreciate that quality already. We try to make this little corner of the web a haven for reasonable people. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and have fun riflin' through all the amazing information we have squirreled away here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake? Any relation to Snake 'n' Bacon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to The Geek Jeremy.

I'd suggest introducing yourself in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul Gamers? thread or make a new thread in the Midwest forum.

There is a very nice and thriving geek community in the Twin Cities with two large meetup.com groups and many smaller regular gaming groups. And of course, Jeff's (nearly) monthly gaming weekends. Subscribe to Minneapolis Board Game Marathon announcement thread to be informed about those. Follow some of the links from that thread to read about past weekends. They are tons of fun and everyone is very welcoming.

I don't get out with all the other gamers here nearly enough, but I always have a great time when I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Jeremy from a fellow native Minnesotan! You live in a great state! I grew up in Stillwater, MN (Go Ponies) so I know your area well. I suppose you have visited Dreamers, which is somewhat near you.. I think they do a board game night, a place I use to visit regularly. Or the source.

And If I can shill my own show; check out the world of board game podcasts and vodcasts if you are looking to really dive into the hobby.

www.howtoplaypodcast.com

Or for more of a boardgame variety show

www.thedicetower.com

Scott's show is hard to beat as well...

www.boardgameswithscott.com

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a great geeklist to reference if you're stuck somewhere. I used it a lot when I first joined!
New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all the advice! I wasn't expecting such a welcome. I think I'll be spending significant time on here over the summer.

As to the name BaconSnake, I just felt it was the best choice of a username to convey the appropriate level of sophistication to my peers.

I have one question: Where should I go to seek discussion on the topic of Dominion cards?! surprise

(Afterthought: I'm still not sure exactly what I'm doing, so I suppose I will adjust my n00bity as I go along. In the meantime, I apologize if I come across as a spam monger. It's really just soy meat.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the advice! I wasn't expecting such a welcome. I think I'll be spending significant time on here over the summer.

As to the name BaconSnake, I just felt it was the best choice of a username to convey the appropriate level of sophistication to my peers.

I have one question: Where should I go to seek discussion on the topic of Dominion cards?! surprise

(Afterthought: I'm still not sure exactly what I'm doing, so I suppose I will adjust my n00bity as I go along. In the meantime, I apologize if I come across as a spam monger. It's really just soy meat.)

If you type "Dominion" into the search bar at the top, you'll get to the Dominion page pretty quickly. From there, scroll down to find the forums and click on any threads that you think might be interested. There are many. You can also "subscribe" to the entire Dominion page, in which case you would be notified of every new Dominion forum thread, picture, and file.

One good thing to do when you're new is to go to your own profile and fill it out. Go to the pages of the games you own, find the link that says "Record Information" and indicate what you were rate it on a scale of 1-10 (there are guidelines for each), indicate that you own it, and write a short comment so people can know basically what you think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

BaconSnake wrote:

Each game in the BGG database has it's own forum (as well as downloadable file section, images, etc.)

Go to the Dominion page, scroll down, and you'll see the forums. Don't forget, there are also pages for Intrigue, Seaside, Alchemy, the individual promo cards, etc. So you can check those forums as well.

Enjoy!

EDIT: D'Oh! Guess I type too slow... snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You might know this by now, but...

You're probably not going to meet very many other teenagers on this site. I'm one of the few, but the majority of the members here spend most of their time out on the front porch, cleaning their rifles, and warning kids not to step on their lawn.

I step on their lawns just to bug them. So far I only have two injuries from it. I'm pretty good at dodging bullets.

Welcome! It's great to see another teenage face here. Dominion's my favorite game too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome,
Have some Bacon

bacon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I have a new question:

Is it possible to set it up so that I automatically get notifications for threads I have made and/or posted in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Click on your subscriptions in the notification area of the site, which is in the top left corner next to the site logo. It is the second line (the first line with the envelope icon is for GeekMail) will say "# new" depending on how many things you're following have new items.

Alternately you can click on "My Geek" which will drop down a menu, then click on "Subscriptions"

You will be in the "New Items" part of your subscriptions. Click on "Preferences"

The third and fourth groups of choices "Subscribe by default when I post or reply to..." and "Replies to my content" allows you to configure what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm... Bacon & snake. A flavoursome combination if ever there was one.

Welcome aboard young one, you've just entered a much larger world of obsession.

BTW.. here's some . Go get yourself a nice avatar and a decent haircut, punk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thank you "justplainchips" for that foolproof walkthrough!

One more question: I have been on message boards before, and one of my favorite features has been the ability to see the preceding posts to a thread as I am posting a reply, so that I can quote multiple people at a time and say "in response to this person, blah blah blah, in response to that person..." etc. Is there any way to set that up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
I think I'll be spending significant time on here over the summer.

Yes, I think you probably will... and fall, winter, spring, summer, fall, winter, spring, summer, fall, winter.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:

You're probably not going to meet very many other teenagers on this site. I'm one of the few, but the majority of the members here spend most of their time out on the front porch, cleaning their rifles, and warning kids not to step on their lawn.

I step on their lawns just to bug them. So far I only have two injuries from it. I'm pretty good at dodging bullets.

Welcome! It's great to see another teenage face here. Dominion's my favorite game too!

Hey, that's not being fair. Not all of us "geezers" dislike you young people! It's just that we have a hard time relating to you. You know with your Dan Folgelberg records and your hula hoops*, just don't entirely "get" the young people. Let's not forget your love of using the "F" word all the time; noun, verb, adjective, indirect object, and direct object, haven't seen the like of it since my girls love of the Smurfs! shake

Well you're always welcome on my lawn, just try to keep the music down, especially that subwoofer! Do you really need all that bass?

*I confess, I took that line from the movie BASEketball! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the geek!!

Only thing I would say is be polite and don't take crap from anyone here. Yes it is possible to do both.

Contribute as often as you can. Take pictures of you playing your favorite games and upload them (ignore the guys that complain about another picture of dominion cards). Post reviews (again ignore the whiners talking about another review for a game that has a hundred).

Just jump right in and have fun.

I am sure you read it when you made the original post here but

The Short List:
Use common courtesy in your posts
Respect others

That is the only thing you really need to worry about. The rest will come in time.

Oh and get some disposable income because this hobby is EXPENSIVE!!!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:

I step on their lawns just to bug them. So far I only have two injuries from it. I'm pretty good at--

BANG!

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I only need $19.40 before I can buy an avatar!

And so, I'm a-gonna put on a little show for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.