Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Attracted to games that look terrible rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first saw a picture for Acquire, I thought: "how can this game possibly be good? It's a bunch of black tiles and little stock cards."

When I first read about Modern Art, I thought: "buying and selling paintings? Come now. Could that really be fun?"

Strangely, these feelings made me want to try the games more, not less. I figured if a game could get rated that highly in spite of such a bad look / "lame" theme, then the game must be very strong indeed.

Anyone else ever think this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of...

The game that comes to my mind when you bring up this subject is the original version of Power Grid (Funkenschlag). The game got really good reviews, even though many people said that the components were horrible and a pain. So that intrigued me (that the game was good in spite of its components).

When I heard the reprint was coming out, I was glad to have waited, though. I like nice bits (and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here). laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Zamborsky
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a delayed reaction with Modert Art. I was really disappointed to see how unattractive the cards were the first time I played , yet really enjoyed the game. Magna Grecia looks pretty ugly but I can't wait to try that one, so you may be on to something. I really prefer a game with good bits..probably part of why I enjoy Samurai and Carolus Magnus so much (I've come to the realization that very colorful wooden cubes make me happy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.