Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Co-op games needed! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan DuPree
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy yall, I am so excited since this is my first journal entrylaugh. I am so nervous...... Anyway, I query is about cooperative board games. A few months ago my friends and I were huge fans of the Lord of the Rings game. Many nights were spent with this game and beer and pretzels (minus the pretzels). It was a blast. After we finally beat the game using the Hardest rules and the Friends and Foes expansion, it just fizzled. So now our game days are filled with watching a friend of mine dubbed "the Cowboy" play his Horse Racing video game cry. To make an already long story shorter, I am looking for a game that has cooperative mechanics but can be played by gamers and non-gamers alike. Also an small evaluation of my first journal entry would be cool as well. Like did I put it in the right place. Should it be a geek list? Is it a subject that has been covered a million times and so forth. I really love board games and I love this site. Thanks to all of you for supporting a great hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Has been covered before, but no harm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheridan Hortness
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Check out Betrayal at House on The Hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Royal Turf as a semi-cooperative game. Although each person plays to win and beat the other players, this is generally only possible by having some collaboration in choosing which horse to move. Your "team membership" shifts throughout the game, because you are most likely betting on different horses with different opponents. Almost every choice you make to help yourself will also help one or more other players. If you are betting on a horse with only one other person, the two of you definitely work cooperatively to get that horse to the finish line as soon as possible.

I think this game is very good because it combines cooperative and competitive play in a very unusual way. It is popular in my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I wouldn't include Royal Turf. Though you may have the same horse as other players that doesn't mean you are cooperating with them. When I play I do quite the opposite - I let them use their turns to move 'our' horse and use my turn to hinder others or help a horse that fewer people are on with me.

The amount of nastiness in the game easily outweighs any feeling of cooperation I get from it, so I wouldn't include it in this discussion.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nearly co-operative
Very few games are completely cooperative (i.e. all players working toward a common goal: they all either win or lose), but Scotland Yard (and New York Chase) allow the detectives to earn a cooperative win if they beat Mr. X.

Also, I consider Zendo a cooperative game. Yes, one person guesses the correct answer each round, and that person becomes the next Zen master, but since the game has no absolute beginning or ending it can easily be played in a way that doesn't involve scorekeeping or one-upmanship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Family Pastimes makes a slew of cooperative games. The majority of them are geared to ... uh... families. But they may have some meatier games. You could look up one of their games and then click on the publisher link to see others. S.O.S. is a game where a bunch of passengers are floating around in the ocean. You and the other players are a lifeboat crew deciding who and how many to pick up first before the sharks or rocks get them and you run out of fuel.

Family Pastimes bits are terrible. Thin cardboard markers, Xerox rules, etc. so a far cry from Knizia's Lord of the Rings, but maybe worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.