Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Ok, how long is Britannia? Really. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know what the playing time on Britannia is?

My girlfriend wants to play (God bless her unknowing heart), but as I've never thrown down, I can't even give here an good estimate. I said between 4 and 8 hours. Is there a more accurate number? Suggestions on crunching time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four hours is reasonable. With all newbies a little more, up to six. Four experienced players can get it down to three.

It really depends on how much negotiation you expect. There shouldn't be much analysis paralysis, but the negotiations can get lengthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
depends
Morgan,
It really depends on the players and # of players!
I've played it in under 80min up to 4 hours
if you play with guys that just play around untill their turn and then have to think about their moves and thake 5- 10min for that it will take a long time....
if you play 2P and think on your moves while the other is playing it sure can go fast!
Ofcourse this counts for any game for that matter!
Cheers
Lexen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 hours
I used to play Brittania a LOT. Somewhere around 4 hours is reasonable, probably a bit longer for a first play as everyone studies their VP objectives. Of course, if you're relatively new you'll be spared the long arguments about who's doing relatively better vs. expectations and the negotiations about which power that is arriving in 3 turns will beat you up if blah blah blah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With two players you should be done in 4 hours. It's more fun with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, there will be 4 of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so jealous!
And here in Manhattan, Morgan, I'll just be able to hear you all move those pieces around! cry

Please do some kind of report after you play, OK?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
timezones
Morgan,
Get yourself with your friends on the plane and start the game and by the time you hit LA you're done with the game and it would have only taken an hour!!!!

Cheers
Lexen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played once with one experienced and two other new players and it took us six hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
4 Hours
If everyone knows the rules, it takes 4 hours. Add some analysis paralysis and it takes 6...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really only shines w/4 players. Then it is really good, though. I suppose you'll be able to pull it off in 4-6 hours.

The key to enjoy the game is to read up on the different people victory conditions ahead, so you know where to go with your peoples as well as what peoples are appearing the next turn(s). Announce upcoming peoples together for this & the next turn at the start of each turn. Also, don't let the newbees be Green. Give them the Romans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the experienced players Morgan will be playing with - I'd say that generally the advice given here is right. 4-6 hours depending on negotiation time. I'd like to keep negotiation to a minimum, but will be on the lookout for people taking too ahistorical a road... The game does have a pretty limited script (which at least is laid out for the players!) and too much deviation from the script, while entertaining in its own right, can easily take one right out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.