GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Hammer of the Scots» Forums » Rules

Subject: Edward in draw pool at the beginning of the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple questions about Edward - we played him wrong in the first game and need a couple minor clarifications:

Edward starts the game in the draw pool, yes? I don't recall seeing him listed in the pieces that England starts the game with. We started with him in England and think that is incorrect.

So the first chance for Edward to be available to England is the second turn after forces are replenished from the pool, yes?

Then, after Edward has wintered in Scotland one year, and winter comes up, he is disbanded and placed back in to the draw pool and English infantry need to disband if they do not fit under the castle limits. Reinforcements from the draw pool are still drawn that turn, yes?

I think that's about it, everything else seemed about right except we forgot Scottish nobles defending at +1 in their home territories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
Edward could arrive in the initial 4 block levy in the first turn.

On the turn he winters in Scotland, there is no new levy.

On the turn he is forced to return home (the draw pool), a levy is raised again of which he may be a part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jforbes wrote:
Edward starts the game in the draw pool, yes? I don't recall seeing him listed in the pieces that England starts the game with. We started with him in England and think that is incorrect.

So the first chance for Edward to be available to England is the second turn after forces are replenished from the pool, yes?

Yes, Edward is in the draw pool, but you might draw him as one of your blocks for the initial setup prior to Turn 1. See the setups for each of the scenarios on page 7 of the rules. Blocks that start on the map are explicitly named, everyone else goes in the draw pool, then you draw how many it tells you. If you get Edward to start with, that's good news for the English.

Quote:
Then, after Edward has wintered in Scotland one year, and winter comes up, he is disbanded and placed back in to the draw pool and English infantry need to disband if they do not fit under the castle limits. Reinforcements from the draw pool are still drawn that turn, yes?

Correct, the only time England skips its draw is right after Edward has chosen to winter in Scotland.

Quote:
I think that's about it, everything else seemed about right except we forgot Scottish nobles defending at +1 in their home territories.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your wording, but keep in mind that nobles always defend their home area with a combat bonus, not just when they are aligned with Scotland.

EDIT: beaten to the punch by a faster and more concise user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for the help :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:

If you get Edward to start with, that's good news for the English.

Is it? He has 3 supporting blocks from the levy and no levy the next turn.

The one time it happened to me I ended up disbanding him. Then the next 3 turns I didn't draw him. It was a long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gbaker59 wrote:
JoelCFC25 wrote:

The one time it happened to me I ended up disbanding him. Then the next 3 turns I didn't draw him. It was a long game.

Sure, you end up disbanding him come the winter (you'll want a big levy going into year 2). But you can use him to hammer down the Scottish rebels in the first year. Gaining territory in the first year is always a boon for the English (since the Scots are usually desperate to gain ground in the first year to make gains during the replenishment phase).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maxx_Pointy wrote:
gbaker59 wrote:
JoelCFC25 wrote:

Sure, you end up disbanding him come the winter (you'll want a big levy going into year 2). But you can use him to hammer down the Scottish rebels in the first year. Gaining territory in the first year is always a boon for the English (since the Scots are usually desperate to gain ground in the first year to make gains during the replenishment phase).

Agreed, getting Edward in the 1st turn can't be anything but good news. There isn't any other unit available to England that has a B4 combat stat. If you can't inflict some decent damage with Edward 1st turn, then you aren't playing the game correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.